Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Misc. TPIR news & notes  (Read 10228 times)

cmjb13

Misc. TPIR news & notes
« on: April 28, 2004, 09:11:32 PM »
-Art Sanders was almost hired on the spot. Bob really liked him a lot. Apparently, Bob didn't want to go through an exhausive search. Jim Thorton did better than I thought, but he was almost yanked after 1 day. The agreement was Daniel Rosen was terrible.

-Rich Fields will be still be working as a weatherperson until late May, when he
will work on Price full-time. He has a contract that goes through May sweeps. He also mentioned that he was in the audience 23 years ago and Johnny let him announce his name.

-Kathy Greco did not do contestant choosing for the Primetime specials. Sylvia and Jeff are no longer chosing contestants.

-The Switcheroo clock was not broken when the 99 year old man played.

-There will not be any retro clips on the Primetime special inducting Barker into the TV/Radio Hall of Fame. They weren't opposed to it, but there really wasn't time to do adequate research going through hundreds of tapes. There was an idea to show some clips from  Truth or Consequences, but it seemed too much work to get them through Ralph Edwards. There will be a small speech by Les Moonves inserted into the show.

-The showcase podiums were partially changed because of Barker not having to lean over. The Eggcrate display was switched to eventually put a vent on the top to eliminate heat.

-If anyone noticed on the Primetime special when the contestant played Triple Play there was a blue panel in the background behind Barker. Apparently this was used because they didn't want the monitors and tables to be shown.

-The TPIR back audience logo that was changed for the Primetime specials (from the 30th season logo to a solid white/grey) is carried over to the daytime show.

-There was a recent article where it stated that CBS may be moving some of its facilities out of Television City and into a new building to be built in the Valley/Studio City. I don't think Price would be moving there because of all the money invested in the studio over the years, but you never know. The shows that were mentioned in the article that questioned what would happen with them were TPIR, Y&R, B&B, and the Late late show.

-The deal with the Grocery game on the Teachers $1M special was this. There is a price list next to the register with the products and certain amounts. The price list only lists up to 20 of each item. So in order to get 25, Brandi would have to enter 20 + 5 separately. She didn't know how to do that, so they said the register couldn't handle that.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 02:35:03 PM by chris319 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

ClockGameJohn

Misc. TPIR news & notes
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 09:37:10 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Apr 28 2004, 08:11 PM\'] -Kathy Greco did not do contestant choosing for the Primetime specials. Sylvia and Jeff are no longer chosing contestants. [/quote]
 Then who is?  And did Roger select the contestants for Primetime by himself?

cmjb13

Misc. TPIR news & notes
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 09:44:44 PM »
[quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' date=\'Apr 28 2004, 09:37 PM\'] [quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Apr 28 2004, 08:11 PM\'] -Kathy Greco did not do contestant choosing for the Primetime specials. Sylvia and Jeff are no longer chosing contestants. [/quote]
Then who is?  And did Roger select the contestants for Primetime by himself? [/quote]
 We know Roger did the choosing for the Primetime shows, but there was a post here recently that said Kathy was part of the selection process. She was not. That person was actually Gina Nyman.

This week Stan Blits did the contestant choosing. They are trying several things out. I don't think that's a long term solution.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

ClockGameJohn

Misc. TPIR news & notes
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 09:46:41 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Apr 28 2004, 08:44 PM\'] [quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' date=\'Apr 28 2004, 09:37 PM\'] [quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Apr 28 2004, 08:11 PM\'] -Kathy Greco did not do contestant choosing for the Primetime specials. Sylvia and Jeff are no longer chosing contestants. [/quote]
Then who is?  And did Roger select the contestants for Primetime by himself? [/quote]
We know Roger did the choosing for the Primetime shows, but there was a post here recently that said Kathy was part of the selection process. She was not. That person was actually Gina Nyman.

This week Stan Blits did the contestant choosing. They are trying several things out. I don't think that's a long term solution. [/quote]
 W-O-W.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Misc. TPIR news & notes
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 11:04:18 PM »
Stan tells me he has also done some Showcase writing. A very bright, capable fellow that Stan.

MaryM7643

Misc. TPIR news & notes
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 11:05:24 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Apr 28 2004, 08:11 PM\']-The TPIR back audience logo that was changed for the Primetime specials (from the 30th season logo to a solid white/grey) is carried over to the daytime show.

[/quote]
[font=\"Arial\"]That's great! I hated the season 30 logo.[/font]

ClockGameJohn

Misc. TPIR news & notes
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2004, 11:18:13 PM »
Yes, apparantly Stan and Adam write the Showcases now.  I see Stan now wears 3 hats.  :)

tvwxman

Misc. TPIR news & notes
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2004, 08:19:30 AM »
I think I missed this joke, or it went WAY over my head..

Can the experts explain? Thanks...
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

cmjb13

Misc. TPIR news & notes
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2004, 10:40:20 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Apr 29 2004, 08:19 AM\'] I think I missed this joke, or it went WAY over my head..

Can the experts explain? Thanks... [/quote]
The "Stan now wears 3 hats" means that he's currently helping writing showcases (I had heard he's done it before, but first I've heard on a regular basis,) choosing contestants, and handling music selection (his main priority)

Rest assured him choosing contestants is not a long term solution for obvious reasons.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 10:44:13 AM by cmjb13 »

cmjb13

Misc. TPIR news & notes
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2004, 10:47:23 AM »
[quote name=\'MaryM7643\' date=\'Apr 28 2004, 11:05 PM\'] [quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Apr 28 2004, 08:11 PM\']-The TPIR back audience logo that was changed for the Primetime specials (from the 30th season logo to a solid white/grey) is carried over to the daytime show.

[/quote]
[font=\"Arial\"]That's great! I hated the season 30 logo.[/font] [/quote]
 It's basically just the ribbons around the TPIR logo that are gone.

I was going to suggest that it was time for those logos to change, because it just seemed out of place with all the other set changes.

They read my mind.

Terry K

Misc. TPIR news & notes
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2004, 12:22:30 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Apr 28 2004, 08:44 PM\'] [quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' date=\'Apr 28 2004, 09:37 PM\'] [quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Apr 28 2004, 08:11 PM\'] -Kathy Greco did not do contestant choosing for the Primetime specials. Sylvia and Jeff are no longer chosing contestants. [/quote]

This week Stan Blits did the contestant choosing. They are trying several things out. I don't think that's a long term solution. [/quote]
 There were about 3-4 people doing the contestant selection at the $1m Teacher special.  Roger was definately one of them.  I could have *sworn* Fingers was one of them, I recall at least one female doing the selection.

Now for why Jeff & Siliva aren't doing the contestants, you draw your own conclusions (I'm gonna guess because they picked the absolute most inept contestants one could find)

Steve Gavazzi

Misc. TPIR news & notes
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2004, 12:37:01 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Apr 28 2004, 09:11 PM\'] -Art Sanders was almost hired on the spot. [/quote]
...but he had to turn down the offer because the colors were giving him seizures. :-)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 12:37:19 PM by Steve Gavazzi »

cmjb13

Misc. TPIR news & notes
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2004, 01:06:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' date=\'Apr 29 2004, 12:22 PM\']Now for why Jeff & Siliva aren't doing the contestants, you draw your own conclusions (I'm gonna guess because they picked the absolute most inept contestants one could find)[/quote]
They were inconsistent. Sometimes good contestants sometimes not.

Remember, it's not as easy as it looks. Plus you can only work with what you are given. Often, you will have to pick from a not-so-enthusiastic group of contestants.

uncamark

Misc. TPIR news & notes
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2004, 04:19:57 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Apr 28 2004, 08:11 PM\']-The deal with the Grocery game on the Teachers $1M special was this. There is a price list next to the register with the products and certain amounts. The price list only lists up to 20 of each item. So in order to get 25, Brandi would have to enter 20 + 5 separately. She didn't know how to do that, so they said the register couldn't handle that.[/quote]
That incident happened every so often with Janice--the look of panic on her face the first time was classic.

adamjk

Misc. TPIR news & notes
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2004, 04:33:43 PM »
Would that be the 63 chunkys incident mentioned by Johnny O in the "This is your strife" Showcase from 1979?