Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Microphones  (Read 10650 times)

garfybrewer

Game Show Microphones
« on: December 25, 2004, 08:38:04 AM »
I've always wonderd what the podium mics as seen on Jeopardy from 1984-97 were- I think were by Shure- can anybody help me out?

tvrandywest

Game Show Microphones
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2004, 05:26:03 PM »
[quote name=\'garfybrewer\' date=\'Dec 25 2004, 05:38 AM\']I've always wonderd what the podium mics as seen on Jeopardy from 1984-97 were- I think were by Shure- can anybody help me out?
[snapback]68578[/snapback]
[/quote]
Post a picture... I can name that mike in 4 notes.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
Game Show Microphones
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2004, 07:12:35 PM »
Man, I love posts like these!!!

However, I doubt they were Shure....I'd assume they may have been made by AKG. They used to have a page of all their old mics, but last I checked, it's no more.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2004, 07:14:34 PM by Chief-O »
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

SamPrainito

Game Show Microphones
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2004, 08:06:12 PM »
As long as we're on the topic of mics, can anyone tell me the make/model of Barker's current mic?

Chief-O

Game Show Microphones
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2004, 08:17:07 PM »
>> As long as we're on the topic of mics, can anyone tell me the make/model of Barker's current mic?

I know that the actual mic element part is made by Neumann [VERY well-known manufacturer of high-quality mics], but I believe the actual handheld part is a special CBS-made part.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

garfybrewer

Game Show Microphones
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2004, 09:58:52 PM »
Here is the picture of the mic in question.

I couldn't find a good place to put my pic........ (oh, and to see the mic, press enter on the address bar.)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2004, 01:17:52 AM by garfybrewer »

johnnya2k3

Game Show Microphones
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2004, 02:32:43 AM »
As for wireless hand-held mics...I'm sure Monty Hall was the first to use one on LMAD in 1976 (prior to that, I believe it was corded microphone attached to a wireless receiver on his waist). And I said at ATGS that many shows used the Vega R-42 mikes throughout much of the '80s and '90s (and I guess they're still used today, but with current transmitters to replace the outdated ones), while Doug Davidson on the '94 nighttime TPIR and others had the Sennheiser SKM 5000.

tvrandywest

Game Show Microphones
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2004, 01:55:57 PM »
Here is the picture of the mic in question.
Not when I click it   ;(

[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Dec 25 2004, 11:32 PM\']As for wireless hand-held mics...I'm sure Monty Hall was the first to use one on LMAD in 1976
[snapback]68649[/snapback]
[/quote]
Monty's l-o-n-g silver mic was a Shure. I can post the model number when I'm next home.

I know that the actual mic element part is made by Neumann [VERY well-known manufacturer of high-quality mics], but I believe the actual handheld part is a special CBS-made part.
Correct. All but the element was fabricated at CBS.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

mystery7

Game Show Microphones
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2004, 02:29:34 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Dec 26 2004, 01:55 PM\']Monty's l-o-n-g silver mic was a Shure. I can post the model number when I'm next home.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[snapback]68668[/snapback]
[/quote]
Actually (boy am I gonna pay for this), Monty's mic was an Electro-Voice RE-55. Ross Shafer also used one for most of Match Game '90.

Here's the similar-looking Shure SM-63 Randy mentioned.

As for the Jeopardy! mics, I remember once seeing mics on Schoeps's website that looked like them. CBS also used them for some of the very early $25K Pyramid shows in 1982, before they switched to the ubiquitous Sonies.

garfybrewer

Game Show Microphones
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2004, 02:31:25 PM »
I do have a pic from my Jeopardy book, but I can't seem to find a good place to put it online..... what can I do?

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Game Show Microphones
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2004, 04:45:28 PM »
Left to right: EV 635A, RE15 and RE55 (Monty's mic):

http://www.digitalvideo.com/mic/images/dynamic/ev_rexx.jpg

tvrandywest

Game Show Microphones
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2004, 04:56:28 PM »
Actually (boy am I gonna pay for this), Monty's mic was an Electro-Voice RE-55.

No grief; totally my error. Yes, that was/is an EV RE-55. Sorry; just a brain freeze. I wonder if I've been in Louisiana too long - at least I haven't married a relative   ;-)

To make up for the error, if there's interest, I'll bring some of my mic collection to he next GSC - it's scheduled for August at the Burbank Hilton again. The RCA 77-DXs (Letterman, Larry King, etc.) are works of art.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: December 26, 2004, 04:57:02 PM by tvrandywest »

Chief-O

Game Show Microphones
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2004, 05:11:56 PM »
>> As for the Jeopardy! mics, I remember once seeing mics on Schoeps's website that looked like them. CBS also used them for some of the very early $25K Pyramid shows in 1982, before they switched to the ubiquitous Sonies.

And, interestingly, they switched BACK to the Schoeps modulars after the Sony ECM-53's, except they were now in the table.

However, most of my mic expertise is in handheld and studio mics, not goosenecks. :(

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
Game Show Microphones
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2004, 05:32:05 PM »
Chris mentioned the EV 635A.  Those things are indestructable.  

I used to use one on live remote broadcasts at one of the radio stations I used to work for.  I'd have to use it to beat the supports on our canopy to get it up... then would plug it in and use it on the air.

In fact... I may still have one floating around here somewhere.

Speaking of mics... my current radio employer loaned me a EV RE-20 to use in my home studio.  Talk about a great mic.  :-)
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

BrandonFG

Game Show Microphones
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2004, 06:10:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' date=\'Dec 26 2004, 05:11 PM\']>> As for the Jeopardy! mics, I remember once seeing mics on Schoeps's website that looked like them. CBS also used them for some of the very early $25K Pyramid shows in 1982, before they switched to the ubiquitous Sonies.

And, interestingly, they switched BACK to the Schoeps modulars after the Sony ECM-53's, except they were now in the table.

However, most of my mic expertise is in handheld and studio mics, not goosenecks. :(
[snapback]68689[/snapback]
[/quote]

Would Schoeps be the long silver "gooseneck" mics that kinda "curled" towards the contestant? I think Wink's TTD used them for sometime as well...

See Thom McKee's first pic

Then, for some time throughout the 80s Pyramid run, there were these small gray things that sat on the desk, in front of each player. Were those mics as well?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!