Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Nickelodeon Game Shows  (Read 4001 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Nickelodeon Game Shows
« on: March 12, 2006, 10:17:38 PM »
I was watching Legends of the Hidden Temple on GAS today, and one of the parting gifts was the VHS version of the Cinderella movie with Brandy and Whitney Houston.

Show ends in 1995... movie premieres in 1997... huh? Can somebody clarify this for me?
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

Nickelodeon Game Shows
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 10:32:31 PM »
Don't have a solid answer, but I think I remember seeing the same thing happen with some of the Shop Til You Drop episodes, back when it was still on Lifetime, and back when Lifetime wasn't nothing but girl power movies-of-the-week.

Perhaps it's a Stone-Stanley thing? That's the best answer I can come up with, and I'm sure it's way off base. :-P
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

zachhoran

Nickelodeon Game Shows
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 10:52:35 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' date=\'Mar 12 2006, 10:17 PM\']I was watching Legends of the Hidden Temple on GAS today, and one of the parting gifts was the VHS version of the Cinderella movie with Brandy and Whitney Houston.

Show ends in 1995... movie premieres in 1997... huh? Can somebody clarify this for me?
[snapback]112601[/snapback]
[/quote]

If Nickelodeon was still airing reruns of LOTHT in 1997, they might have had the announcer dub in new fee plugs. Stations that aired reruns of 70s Barris shows in the mid 80s saw new fee plugs(i.e. mini-commercials) put in by Worldvision in lieu of Johnny Jacobs' fee plugs. New fee plugs were placed into Supermarket Sweep reruns on Lifetime after the last new episodes aired in 1994-95, and Randy read new fee plugs for Trivial Pursuit reruns after FAM pulled the plug on new episodes 13 weeks after his debut.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 10:55:58 PM by zachhoran »

Kevin Prather

Nickelodeon Game Shows
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 10:58:00 PM »
But why would they change the parting gifts? The contestants' parting gifts didn't change, even if the sponsors did.

Steve Gavazzi

Nickelodeon Game Shows
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 11:07:17 PM »
The Price Is Right does it.  Why shouldn't Legends of the Hidden Temple?  It's probably a way for the company to get some extra revenue.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Nickelodeon Game Shows
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 11:08:27 PM »
TPIR does this all the time. Any time Rich says "promotional consideration..." in the pre-SCSD 2 plug, it's a redub for a rerun. It's a way for the shows to get something out of the reruns - that's all.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Kevin Prather

Nickelodeon Game Shows
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 11:14:28 PM »
Oh, understood. But there's a difference between "Promotional consideration provided by..." and "Departing contestants will receive..."

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Nickelodeon Game Shows
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 11:54:31 PM »
Add syndie MG to the list, but...I dunno. To be fair, there's no valid argument other than you want to know what they offered them in the original airing. I was there too before, but it's just an inevitability.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

zachhoran

Nickelodeon Game Shows
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 09:10:04 AM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Mar 12 2006, 11:54 PM\']Add syndie MG to the list, but...I dunno. To be fair, there's no valid argument other than you want to know what they offered them in the original airing. I was there too before, but it's just an inevitability.

-Jason
[snapback]112616[/snapback]
[/quote]

Virtually all syndie game shows have/had different fee plugs during Summer reruns. Back in the days when the announcer still read the fee plugs on most syndie shows(J! and WOF stopped having the announcer read the plugs roughly ten years ago),  the show's normal announcer(with a few exceptions) would read the updated fee plugs.

Speedy G

Nickelodeon Game Shows
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 02:31:18 PM »
I was watching Legends of the Hidden Temple on GAS today, and one of the parting gifts was the VHS version of the Cinderella movie with Brandy and Whitney Houston.

They did the same thing to pre-1993 Family Double Dare while Harvey was still the announcer.  You can't watch an episode of it now (stupid Nick GAS), but there are whole bunches of episodes with Doc Holliday reading the post-R2 plugs, then the audio cuts back to Harvey throwing to the break before the obstacle course.
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*

Allstar87

Nickelodeon Game Shows
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 04:33:22 PM »
Nick Arcade did the same. That, Family Double Dare, and Legends are the only three this was done to. (Although I think every ep. of FDD was redubbed, there are some Legends and Nick Arcade episodes with the original plugs.)

They were probably the only three still rerunning in 1997, so Nick decided they could get something more by throwing in the new fee plugs. It's kind of weird watching plugs for a Spice Girls album on a 1990 FDD, but I can understand why Nick did it.

Allstar87

Nickelodeon Game Shows
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 09:32:09 PM »
[quote name=\'cool245\' date=\'Mar 14 2006, 06:53 PM\']
I have seen 2 or 3 FDD episodes on Nick GAS where Harvey still does the original fee plugs for his episodes.
[snapback]112911[/snapback]
[/quote]

No kidding! Heh, guess I missed those episodes. Ah well; it's better to have edited copies than no copies at all. No matter how weird those edits are.

ChuckNet

Nickelodeon Game Shows
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 10:31:53 PM »
Happened on non-Nick shows as well...a number of syndie BtB eps had Jack Barry doing new fee plugs, while the 70s version of Liar's Club had Larry Hovis doing them.

Also, during the tail end of WoF's 87-88 syndie season, Pat and Vanna took over the new fee plugs on reruns after a severely incapacitated Jack Clark was deemed too weak to do so, following some initial (and rather sad) attempts.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Ian Wallis

Nickelodeon Game Shows
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 09:17:54 AM »
Happened on non-Nick shows as well...a number of syndie BtB eps had Jack Barry doing new fee plugs, while the 70s version of Liar's Club had Larry Hovis doing them.

In some cases it might even be the only version of the show that still exists.  Some episodes of "Liars Club" from the USA reruns floating around the trade curcuit feature the Hovis plugs.  

I remember that late '70s "Dating Game" did this as well.  You could always tell because for the summer reruns, the fee plug music would start in a different spot than it usually did.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

uncamark

Nickelodeon Game Shows
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 12:14:05 PM »
And by the 80s, the whole "parting gifts" thing had become more of an extra revenue source for the producers or network than actual consolation prizes.  When it was just one plug for a nice little gift (along with the home game, of course), the contestant would be glad to take the suitcase or watch or St. Marys towels home.  When it became a whole bunch of stuff people would never use (and in many instances would put their winnings over the $600 mark where you have no choice but to report it on your taxes), a lot of that stuff was either declined or donated to charity (what else would you do with 12 cases of Hot Pockets?).