Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Peter Tomarken GSN Tribute Information  (Read 6262 times)

itiparanoid13

Peter Tomarken GSN Tribute Information
« on: March 13, 2006, 08:56:28 PM »
I literally got this minutes ago.

GSN will be airing a 2 day Peter Tomarken tribute.  On Tuesday, March 14th, "Big Bucks: The Press Your Luck Scandal" will air at 10PM ET/PT.  Then, on Sunday, March 19th, there will be an ALL DAY Press Your Luck Marathon from 9AM till 6PM ET/PT.  Rich Cronin stated “On behalf of game show fans and GSN, we mourn the loss of a wonderful person and one of the great game show hosts of all-time, Peter Tomarken.  We last worked with Peter when he hosted our documentary BIG BUCKS: THE PRESS YOUR LUCK SCANDAL. Our deepest sympathies and condolences go out to his family and friends during this difficult time.”

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 09:09:00 PM »
Wow, they're on the ball with that one. That's pretty cool. I may even bother to watch some of that.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 09:31:21 PM »
You know, with all the criticism some of us give them, I can honestly say that GSN really  goes all out with their celebrity tributes. Big ups to them.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 09:32:37 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 10:04:48 PM »
Over on the GSN boards, the moderator posted a list of the episodes that they will show; they run from 333-350.  No details were given on the contents.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

zachhoran

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 10:14:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Mar 13 2006, 10:04 PM\']Over on the GSN boards, the moderator posted a list of the episodes that they will show; they run from 333-350.  No details were given on the contents.
[snapback]112767[/snapback]
[/quote]

The airdates were from 1/3/85-1/28/85. The last six of them are from the 2nd home sweepstakes. The last episode of the marathon will be Jenny(Jennie) Jones' first appearance. The fourth episode in the marathon will feature a Flokati rug unveiling. Episode 347(fourth to the last in this marathon) features a $0 win with 11 whammies total in the game. All of these episodes have only been seen one other time on GSN, in Summer 2003 when GSN ran a sestet of PYL episodes each Wednesday morning.

Source: http://www2.hawaii.edu/~awakamat/pylguide4.htm
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 10:15:27 PM by zachhoran »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 11:39:24 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Mar 13 2006, 10:31 PM\']I can honestly say that GSN really  goes all out with their celebrity tributes. [/quote]
Sorry to be a wet rag about this, but typically they really don't.  Their typical "tribute" is to run a couple of classic episodes literally in the middle of the night. That's hardly going "all out".  This Tomarken tribute is a notable exception.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

dad1153

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 12:20:44 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Mar 14 2006, 12:39 AM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Mar 13 2006, 10:31 PM\']I can honestly say that GSN really  goes all out with their celebrity tributes. [/quote]
Sorry to be a wet rag about this, but typically they really don't.  Their typical "tribute" is to run a couple of classic episodes literally in the middle of the night. That's hardly going "all out".  This Tomarken tribute is a notable exception.
[snapback]112796[/snapback]
[/quote]

Agree.  Only Johnny Carson and Anne Bancroft have received daytime weekend tributes worthy of their statures.  Every other big celebrity that has passed away recently has been 'honored' with dusted-off episodes of 'Beat the Clock' or syndicated 'WML?' aired at 3-4AM with no on-air promotion whatsover.  A few lucky celebrities get 'tributes' with regularly-scheduled daytime episodes of 'Match Game' (Nipsey Russell) or 'Family Feud' (Dennis Weaver), but they can hardly be called 'going all out' efforts.  GSN gets brownie points for actually scheduling something as a tribute to entertainers/celebrities that 95% of other TV stations ignore, but it's as if the GSN public relations department is more interested in getting its press release noticed by other media than in viewers actually watching/taping the overnight/weekend tributes.

Glad that Peter Tomarken's tributes escaped the fate of Rod Roddy, Gene Rayburn or Gene Wood, all gameshow icons whose deaths were either completely ignored or received a lame still-page mention on GSN.

zachhoran

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 08:53:46 AM »
[quote name=\'dad1153\' date=\'Mar 14 2006, 12:20 AM\']

Glad that Peter Tomarken's tributes escaped the fate of Rod Roddy, Gene Rayburn or Gene Wood, all gameshow icons whose deaths were either completely ignored or received a lame still-page mention on GSN.
[snapback]112806[/snapback]
[/quote]

One wonders if GSN's having Tomarken as an employee from 1994-97 and again in 2003 (for the Big Bucks documentary and the guest shot on Whammy!) has something to do with this eight hour tribute(2 hours tonight for the documentary, 6 hours Sunday with the PYL marathon).

Did Gene Wood even get a still-page mention from GSN when he died? I don't recall seeing one. Dennis James got a tribute after his 1997 passing during a Wide World of Games where they showed an episode of TPIR where he subbed for Bob among others. In the case of Art James, they didn't have anything of his to show, other than a couple of sub-announcer shots for Gene Wood on Feud.

Shredder

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 09:26:12 AM »
Sigh,  I really wish that we have a way to get the Digital Cable Card signal to the VCR.  Now I'm wishing the familly wasn't so desperate to get rid of the box.  Oh well, at least I ''ll finally get the chance to see the Big Bucks Scandal..

irismason42

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 09:31:56 AM »
When Art James died, GSN never got us an oppotunity to hear Art James' voice any longer because at first they were branched out of the game show genre, when Gene Wood died, at first we were limited to hearing his voice with Family Feud but then a few months later he would get more of a tribute by giving us Card Sharks Super Password, Beat The Clock, etc.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 09:32:24 AM by irismason42 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 12:33:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Shredder\' date=\'Mar 14 2006, 06:26 AM\']Sigh,  I really wish that we have a way to get the Digital Cable Card signal to the VCR.  Now I'm wishing the familly wasn't so desperate to get rid of the box.  Oh well, at least I ''ll finally get the chance to see the Big Bucks Scandal..
[snapback]112844[/snapback]
[/quote]
If your TV has some kind of Video and Audio Out, you can run that into the VCR, and it will see whatever your TV is seeing. (And if your TV is CableCard-ready, it most likely has some kind of outputs.)

(My question is, how do you have a CableCard-ready TV and not some sort of DVR?)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 01:10:45 PM »
Nice to see GSN paying homage to one of their own, literally.  I'm holding out the smallest hope we get to see his Whammy appearance during one of the regularly scheduled weekend airings, but this is a fine tribute to a fine host and employee of the network.

SteveRep

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 01:43:26 PM »
I missed the open and first question round of today's PYL, but in what I saw there was no mention that Peter had died or about either segment of the tribute programming.

Was it at the beginning and I just missed it?

I'd think there'd be a memoriam graphic at the beginning and end of the show.

dad1153

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 03:13:18 PM »
Yes there was a graphic at the beginning (as well as a text scroll during the actual show promoting Tuesday's 'Big Bucks' rebroadcast): http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v32/puffuncle/Peter.jpg
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 03:14:50 PM by dad1153 »

Shredder

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 08:47:20 AM »
DVR?  What's that? ;)

there's really not that many TV shows I watch tese days.  most of the good ones went off years ago.  But if there's a Digital DVR that accepts CableCArd signals, I may have to look into it.

Finally saw the docu.  I don't think it really needed to be stretched out 2 hours,  but it was a fun little one to watch.  This Michael Larsen guy was one freaky person.  Counting all of his bills to find two matching serial numbers?  Get a Life ;)