Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Match Game Questions  (Read 5386 times)

Kevin Prather

Match Game Questions
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2006, 11:41:44 PM »
Well, I have never hosted a game show, so I'll take your word for it. :)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Match Game Questions
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2006, 11:48:37 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 08:41 PM\']Well, I have never hosted a game show, so I'll take your word for it. :)
[snapback]113262[/snapback]
[/quote]
Well, neither have I, not on camera, but it's just logical. You have enough to keep track of and what not to have to deal with that too. So if someone can take an extra half-hour to eliminate that variable, that seems like worthwhile effort.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

LA the DJ

Match Game Questions
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2006, 01:25:28 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 11:40 PM\']When you are worrying about all of the other issues involved in the process of hosting a game show, knowing you will never have to squint to make out if that's an "F" or a "P" makes you that much more comfortable in doing the rest of it.
[snapback]113261[/snapback]
[/quote]
Especially if the Supermatch is <BLANK> PUCK.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Match Game Questions
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2006, 01:40:21 AM »
[quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 10:25 PM\']Especially if the Supermatch is <BLANK> PUCK.
[snapback]113274[/snapback]
[/quote]
"Sean Connery, please."

"Mother! Ha ha ha ha ha!"

"Okay, stop tape..."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

Match Game Questions
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2006, 12:25:36 PM »
Any art cards or anything that would be shown on camera would be done by the network or studio graphic arts department or scenic artists--or whoever you're hiring to do that.  They get a list of what needs to be made and they make it.  (And of course, whenever possible, they can reuse it--I always thought that the "Feud" answer cards were in two parts so they could reuse them, but the answer and the number of responses were on the same card, IIRC.)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Match Game Questions
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2006, 03:57:04 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 08:02 PM\']Ten minutes seems preposterously long to write one question. I'd say a minute per card maybe.
[snapback]113248[/snapback]
[/quote]
I watched Sherry letter these cards several times, and you think you have a better idea how long it took? Were you even born in 1980?

DrJWJustice

Match Game Questions
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2006, 04:00:52 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Mar 16 2006, 05:57 PM\']From the occasional glances they'd show of the cards, I'd say handwritten...didn't stop me from typing them up when I hosted Match Game at the college a year or so ago.
[snapback]113206[/snapback]
[/quote]
Friendly suggestion here -- just make them legible, and you should be fine. :-)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
Match Game Questions
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2006, 04:05:21 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 17 2006, 12:25 PM\']I always thought that the "Feud" answer cards were in two parts so they could reuse them, but the answer and the number of responses were on the same card, IIRC.)
[snapback]113302[/snapback]
[/quote]
I saw a card from Combs Feud... it looked like it was all one strip, but the number was printed on a square sticker. I don't know if they did this, but it appeared that they could make a new number and stick it over the old one.

--
Scott Robinson

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Match Game Questions
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2006, 04:07:02 PM »
It doesn't need to be THAT neat for Gene to read it, does it?
If it wasn't neat enough for Gene's 60-year-old eyes, he'd let you know -- in no uncertain terms. It didn't stop there, either. Jake Tauber would read Sherry's hand-lettered questions back to Bobby Sherman who had a copy of the script, as an additional check, punctuation included. Jake would read "Murray-the-millionaire" as "Murray dash the dash millionaire".

Any art cards or anything that would be shown on camera would be done by the network or studio graphic arts department or scenic artists--or whoever you're hiring to do that.
Although it appears on camera, the questions contained on a question card or the passwords in a wallet or the price on a one-bid price tag are considered part of the script and are printed/lettered by the production company.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 04:10:32 PM by chris319 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Match Game Questions
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2006, 04:44:12 PM »
After working on MG and Jeopardy!, and for CBS and ABC, Sherry has found a higher calling:

http://www.dailybruin.ucla.edu/news/articles.asp?id=20792

Kevin Prather

Match Game Questions
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2006, 04:54:04 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Mar 17 2006, 01:57 PM\']I watched Sherry letter these cards several times, and you think you have a better idea how long it took? Were you even born in 1980?
[snapback]113312[/snapback]
[/quote]
I apologize if I came across as a know-it-all. I'm not questioning your knowledge of what really happened. I just wondered why the heck it'd take so much time and effort. I understand now.

joshg

Match Game Questions
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2006, 05:05:23 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' date=\'Mar 17 2006, 01:05 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 17 2006, 12:25 PM\']I always thought that the "Feud" answer cards were in two parts so they could reuse them, but the answer and the number of responses were on the same card, IIRC.)
[snapback]113302[/snapback]
[/quote]
I saw a card from Combs Feud... it looked like it was all one strip, but the number was printed on a square sticker. I don't know if they did this, but it appeared that they could make a new number and stick it over the old one.

[snapback]113314[/snapback]
[/quote]

I have one of those on my wall right now... it's a black rectangular piece of card stock with "MOTORCYCLE" in 4 inch high white stick-on letters. The yellow "5" square is stuck on the right side, as well all are aware.

It'll be on eBay within the hour. Think I'll get $500 for it? ;-)
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

Robert Hutchinson

Match Game Questions
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2006, 05:10:38 PM »
With all this talk of precise lettering on various game show props . . . on the occasions that I recall seeing one of Barker's "actual retail price" cards, from the One Bids or Showcases, the numbers looked pretty sloppy to me. Human-readable, sure, but I wouldn't trust myself to read them out loud a half-second after seeing them for the first time.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Match Game Questions
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2006, 05:45:09 PM »
With all this talk of precise lettering on various game show props . . . on the occasions that I recall seeing one of Barker's "actual retail price" cards, from the One Bids or Showcases, the numbers looked pretty sloppy to me. Human-readable, sure, but I wouldn't trust myself to read them out loud a half-second after seeing them for the first time.
You're not Bob Barker.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 05:45:19 PM by chris319 »

cmjb13

Match Game Questions
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2006, 06:13:27 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Mar 17 2006, 05:45 PM\']
You're not Bob Barker.
[snapback]113324[/snapback]
[/quote]
Not too sloppy.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS