Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bert Convy  (Read 2616 times)

b_masters9

Bert Convy
« on: March 11, 2006, 06:36:15 AM »
I'd like your honest opinion on this-- do you think that Bert Convy's "Password" experience (as a celebrity player on "Password Plus" when it was hosted by both Allen Ludden and Tom Kennedy) served him well when it came time for him to actually host a version of the game ("Super Password") starting in 1984 and continuing to 1989?

Ben

Clay Zambo

Bert Convy
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 09:01:35 AM »
Surely it didn't hurt; he knew first-hand what the players were going through.  But if he'd never played the game on-air, I'm sure he would have been fine.  He'd've been coached on the rules, and he'd have producers cueing him.  What more would a host need?
czambo@mac.com

b_masters9

Bert Convy
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 09:11:05 AM »
I just wanted to know. Thanks for your answer.

Ben

mbclev

Bert Convy
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 02:29:09 AM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Mar 11 2006, 09:01 AM\']Surely it didn't hurt; he knew first-hand what the players were going through.  But if he'd never played the game on-air, I'm sure he would have been fine.  He'd've been coached on the rules, and he'd have producers cueing him.  What more would a host need?
[snapback]112477[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think Bert needed a little more poise to deal with unusual situations, for one thing.  He seemed to be clueless when, for example, a celebrity gave an illegal clue during the Cashword segment, in which case it ends at that point.  He also never explained why things were so; for instance, when Constance McCashin was faced with the word "often" during a bonus round in the fall 1986 Tournament of Losers, she said what I thought was "a lot" and I thought she was going to be flagged for an illegal clue, but she wasn't.  It was not until some time later, when I was taking a business education class in college, that I saw the word "allot" written on the blackboard, and at that point it hit me.  She might have been saying "allot" instead of "a lot", and in cases like that, the clue giver is given the benefit of the doubt, but Bert never bothered to explain it to the home audience.  (Tom Kennedy had a similar explanation during a main game on "Password Plus".)

Unusual clues sometimes threw Bert off, too.  When Rip Taylor gave the clue "Episcopalian" for the word "testimony", and the contestant guessed "clergyman", Bert somehow thought that he was guessing the overall puzzle instead of the password, and that eventually led to Rip's taking off his toupee.

Brandon Brooks

Bert Convy
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 02:28:11 PM »
I loved Bert, but his cluelessness sometimes really got in the way of SP.  He had the "himbo factor", not as bad as the eternally clueless John Davidson, but he let the show get away from him way too often.  All and all, he wasn't bad though.

BTW, I've always wondered why in the hell was John Davidson given the hosting gig for the $100K Pyramid.  He got derailed so easily, it was jarring.  However, I am probably toocritical since Pyramid is my fave game of all time.

Brandon Brooks

Jimmy Owen

Bert Convy
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 02:34:21 PM »
John Davidson probably got the job because he was working for the Stewart production company on "Lucky Day USA" and Dick Clark was unavailable due to "The Challengers."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Bert Convy
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 02:37:02 PM »
Surely there was someone more suitable out there.  Why not Geoff Edwards, who was doing the round of Chain Reaction on USA, and had just come off the syndicated Jackpot?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bert Convy
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 02:43:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Mar 15 2006, 11:37 AM\']Surely there was someone more suitable out there.  Why not Geoff Edwards, who was doing the round of Chain Reaction on USA, and had just come off the syndicated Jackpot?
[snapback]113045[/snapback]
[/quote]
Because he was facing some "personal demons", maybe? There was a time period (and it seems that fits it) when I remember watching him host The Big Spin in CA when I strongly suspected he had some alcohol issues. I can't say that for sure, but he just had that...vibe going on when he was doing that. I remember my folks noticing it and pointing it out too.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe