Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GS Marathon News...  (Read 29673 times)

TimK2003

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2006, 09:37:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Mar 17 2006, 09:26 AM\']I wonder how much it was because of viewer mail, and how much was because its replacement (Blackout) tanked worse than anybody probably thought.
[snapback]113294[/snapback]
[/quote]

Per Uncle Jay Wolpert, Blackout never had the chance to go beyond 13 weeks, regardless of the ratings.  Feud was supposed to be ready to go at the end of the run of Blackout in April of '88, but for whatever reason(s), Feud needed more time before it's premiere.

And since Pyramid was still taping $100K syndies at CBS, the set was there and readily available, Voila!, 13 more weeks of Pyramid were whipped up.  And Dick Clark, not to look like a last minute replacement for a few months, took the high road and played heavily on "The viewers responded, and we're back" theory (which was true to a point).

Matt Ottinger

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2006, 11:31:08 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Mar 22 2006, 09:06 PM\']I agree with the "WTF!?!?" sentiments regarding LMAD.  Not only is LMAD the only show of the bunch that has no Fremantle/G-T ties (at least domestically), but LMAD is also the only game show of the bunch that never had any of it's incarnations air on CBS![/quote]
It's amazing to me that anyone would think that historical network origination was a significant factor in these people making their decision.

We discussed why Password was probably considered a bad choice elsewhere in this thread.  As for Let's Make A Deal, it's a show the TV masses have heard of, and one that lots of people can play in one show. (In other words, one that doesn't necessarily have a set number of contestants.) When you see how the overall format of the series works, you'll understand better why they chose it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GS Marathon News...
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2006, 12:06:34 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Mar 22 2006, 08:31 PM\']It's amazing to me that anyone would think that historical network origination was a significant factor in these people making their decision.
[/quote]
I only thought that because, when faced with a list of the other six shows, that and the fact that they are all under the Fremantle ownership umbrella were the two common factors than ran throughout. So it seemed reasonable to conclude that Password would have been the seventh at the time, since that was really the only major show left that I could think of that fit both criteria and could be worked with the format.

I'm sure it will make sense when all is said and done, but it still seems out of place to me.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2006, 12:21:07 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 23 2006, 12:06 AM\']I'm sure it will make sense when all is said and done, but it still seems out of place to me.[/quote]
I completely agree that LMAD seems out of place at first glance, but I think it has a lot more to do with ownership and a lot less to do with the fact that at one time or another, the other six happened to have aired on CBS.  I personally think Press Your Luck is out of place on the list because it was by far the least successful of the bunch and I have a hard time thinking of it as a "classic".  (I'm a bit iffy on Card Sharks' credentials on that count as well, but it's easy to play and I'm sure that was a consideration.)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 12:24:35 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

GSFan

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2006, 08:50:50 AM »
So, when does the GSM air?

David
March 26, 2023 - 50 years of Pyramid!

uncamark

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2006, 03:16:47 PM »
[quote name=\'GSFan\' date=\'Mar 23 2006, 07:50 AM\']So, when does the GSM air?
[snapback]113885[/snapback]
[/quote]

When initially announced, they were shooting for sometime this summer, when CBS usually goes all out on reality shows.

And the puzzlement over "LMAD" is somewhat understandable, considering that the original UK version was part of ITV's 50th anniversary celebration and designed to salute some of that network's more popular game shows.  There, they were able to easily pick formats that were either owned by Fremantle or by Granada Entertainment.

It seems to me that the people behind the U.S. version were not given the "CBS-only" rule here and in selecting what would fit with the format of the series, decided that "LMAD" was the show closest to "Take Your Pick" from the UK version, so that's the one they went with (after getting Monty's approval, of course).

Jimmy Owen

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2006, 03:57:31 PM »
LMAD '84 did run in daytime on Channel 2 in both NYC and LA, (Detroit, too, though not an O&O) so if you only watched CBS in those cities, you have seen LMAD.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 03:59:00 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2006, 04:22:20 PM »
When initially announced, they were shooting for sometime this summer, when CBS usually goes all out on reality shows.

Do we know if it's going to air as a weekly series, or every day for a week?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

BrandonFG

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2006, 07:01:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Mar 23 2006, 04:22 PM\']

Do we know if it's going to air as a weekly series, or every day for a week?
[snapback]113933[/snapback]
[/quote]
I thought it was going to be seven weekly episodes?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

weaklink75

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2006, 07:02:41 PM »

My hunch? This might air in the Thursday at 8 slot after Survivor ends (May 11th is the last Thursday episode, the finale is the 14th)...Seven weekly episodes starting May 18th means the last episode would air June 29th, which is perfect timing for CBS (The Thursday after would be July 6th, and Big Brother traditionally starts right after the 4th of July)...That also gets the first episode in May Sweeps (which end the 24th).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 07:03:57 PM by weaklink75 »

Brandon Brooks

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2006, 08:34:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Mar 23 2006, 03:57 PM\']LMAD '84 did run in daytime on Channel 2 in both NYC and LA, (Detroit, too, though not an O&O) so if you only watched CBS in those cities, you have seen LMAD.
[snapback]113926[/snapback]
[/quote]
That's irrelevant.  It didn't run on CBS.

Brandon Brooks

tvwxman

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2006, 07:40:24 AM »
[quote name=\'weaklink75\' date=\'Mar 23 2006, 07:02 PM\']My hunch? This might air in the Thursday at 8 slot after Survivor ends (May 11th is the last Thursday episode, the finale is the 14th)...Seven weekly episodes starting May 18th means the last episode would air June 29th, which is perfect timing for CBS (The Thursday after would be July 6th, and Big Brother traditionally starts right after the 4th of July)...That also gets the first episode in May Sweeps (which end the 24th).
[snapback]113944[/snapback]
[/quote]

And my hunch? After GSM's ratings are somewhat decent and building after the first week or two, NBC drops in D/nD to counter it.

It won't be listed in TV guide because it will be last minute. Then again, I cancelled my subscription to TV guide, so I'll miss the missing listing regardless.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Don Howard

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2006, 10:46:20 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Mar 22 2006, 09:37 PM\']Dick Clark, not to look like a last minute replacement for a few months, took the high road and played heavily on "The viewers responded, and we're back" theory.
[snapback]113859[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yes, but he kept on saying it through the weeks and months up to within a few days of the last show. Which is yet another thing that made The $25,000 Pyramid leaving and Card Sharks staying puzzling.
That and the fact that I thought the Eubanks version of CS was wanting.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 10:46:42 AM by Don Howard »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
GS Marathon News...
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2006, 11:57:15 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Mar 24 2006, 10:46 AM\']Which is yet another thing that made The $25,000 Pyramid leaving and Card Sharks staying puzzling.
[/quote]
I seem to recall reading, somewhere on this board, that Goodson was threatning to pull Price off the schedule if CBS axed Card Sharks. If that indeed is true...guess which show got the axe? (to my dismay)
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Don Howard

GS Marathon News...
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2006, 11:59:51 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Mar 24 2006, 11:57 AM\'][quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Mar 24 2006, 10:46 AM\']Which is yet another thing that made The $25,000 Pyramid leaving and Card Sharks staying puzzling.
[/quote]
I seem to recall reading, somewhere on this board, that Goodson was threatning to pull Price off the schedule if CBS axed Card Sharks. If that indeed is true...guess which show got the axe? (to my dismay)
[snapback]114036[/snapback]
[/quote]
Oh. Well, where was he going to take it? Did NBC have a vulnerable hour?
Would ABC have yanked the then-fledgling Home show? Curious this is.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 12:00:21 PM by Don Howard »