Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A theme question  (Read 2892 times)

Kevin Prather

A theme question
« on: March 18, 2006, 02:56:37 PM »
I've seen so many different sources say different things. Hopefully someone here can give me a definitive answer.

Is "A Time For Tony" the Jeopardy theme or a jewelry prize cue from Wheel?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
A theme question
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 03:04:22 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Mar 18 2006, 02:56 PM\']Is "A Time For Tony" the Jeopardy theme or a jewelry prize cue from Wheel?
[snapback]113376[/snapback]
[/quote]
I believe "Take Ten" was the theme from the 2nd run of NBC Jeopardy!, while "A Time for Tony" is the jewelry cut.

EDIT: Never mind.  I was wrong, upon viewing "The Art Fleming Years". Iris was partially right?  I might as well be banned.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 04:11:55 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

irismason42

A theme question
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 03:34:34 PM »
Not quite, "Take Ten" was a theme for the first version of NBC Jeopardy! and also for the weekly syndicated version and "Frisco Disco" was the theme for the second version of NBC Jeopardy!, which was later used as a WOF prize cue.

Kevin Prather

A theme question
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 04:02:24 PM »
But either way, Tony was a prize cue?

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
A theme question
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 07:50:02 PM »
"Time For Tony" is the Jeopardy! think music and main theme.

Kevin Prather

A theme question
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 08:16:19 PM »
Then what song is this? I think it was Casey that put up the full version and called it "A Time For Tony."

FeudDude

A theme question
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 08:36:46 PM »
From what I've gathered, the Jeopardy! theme and that WoF jewelry cue are both variants of "A Time for Tony", with the jewelry cue being the definitive version.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 08:38:45 PM by FeudDude »

snowpeck

A theme question
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 02:45:01 AM »
The piano prize cue is "A Time for Tony".  The Jeopardy theme and think music are simply "Jeopardy Theme" and "Jeopardy Theme Music."  They are not variations of each other.

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
A theme question
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 05:57:32 AM »
The Jeopardy theme and think music are simply "Jeopardy Theme" and "Jeopardy Theme Music." They are not variations of each other.
They're the same tune. The theme is mereley the same eight bars of "Time for Tony" repeated ad nauseam.

Clay Zambo

A theme question
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 02:50:43 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Mar 19 2006, 05:57 AM\']
The Jeopardy theme and think music are simply "Jeopardy Theme" and "Jeopardy Theme Music." They are not variations of each other.
They're the same tune. The theme is mereley the same eight bars of "Time for Tony" repeated ad nauseam.
[snapback]113453[/snapback]
[/quote]

The Jeopardy "think music" cue and "Tony" aren't the same tune--though there are  similarities. The first couple of phrases of both consist of even quarter notes.  There's a three-note figure that skips up a fourth then back down, but it's not in the same place in both tunes.  The fourth bar of each tune contains a descending figure, but the two runs don't start on the same scale degree.

But is "Tony," or some variation thereof, the original "Jeopardy" theme?  Couldn't tell you.  (I would guess not--having two tunes on a show that are so boringly similar would seem to cancel each other out.)
czambo@mac.com

Robert Hutchinson

A theme question
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 02:57:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Mar 19 2006, 02:50 PM\']The Jeopardy "think music" cue and "Tony" aren't the same tune--though there are  similarities.[/quote]

There are enough similarities, in my mind, to call them the same tune with variations. The piano cue basically sounds like somebody took the notes from the J! cue and modified them enough to sound like something you should hear while the audience is oohing and aahing at a rotating piano. (I'm not saying that's how any modification actually happened, of course, or if it even happened in that direction.)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

snowpeck

A theme question
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 07:17:00 PM »
What I was trying to say in my post was that Time for Tony and Jeopardy theme are different compositions entirely and are not related to each other except that Merv wrote both of them.  He wrote a lot of simple piano tunes (and released several albums of them).

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Robert Hutchinson

A theme question
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 10:04:25 PM »
I still hear just a slight variation on a theme in the Wheel cue. But I'm not knowledgeable enough about music to argue it.

(Nor am I equipped to counter the argument "it just is". Ahem.)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Ian Wallis

A theme question
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 09:07:10 AM »
What I was trying to say in my post was that Time for Tony and Jeopardy theme are different compositions entirely and are not related to each other except that Merv wrote both of them. He wrote a lot of simple piano tunes (and released several albums of them).

And many of those were used as "Wheel of Fortune" prize cues when they changed the music in the summer of 1983, just before the syndie premiere.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

FOXSportsFan

A theme question
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 01:57:44 PM »
I always thought there were more similarities between the Jeopardy theme and "I'm a Little Teapot" myself...