Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: DoND World Records  (Read 3291 times)

Matt Ottinger

DoND World Records
« on: March 19, 2006, 08:02:33 PM »
I found this interesting, and since nobody else mentioned it, I thought I'd share.

According to a brief mention in last week's TVG, out of 35 countries where DoND is produced, two players have won the show's top prize -- though there's a pretty huge difference in their winnings.  A player in Italy won 500,000 euros (about $600K), and a player in Mexico won a million pesos (less than $100K).  The article said that the biggest cash win was in Holland, where the grand prize is five million euros ($6M US) and a player made a deal for 1.5 million ($1.8M US).

Is the game in The Netherlands routinely played for five million euros?  That seems like an unusually large prize for European TV.

BTW, turns out this is the 111,111th post in our forum's history.  Couldn't be prouder.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 08:09:21 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

itiparanoid13

DoND World Records
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 08:25:47 PM »
Yeah, that one aired recently.  A few of us, including Mike, saw that live as it was happening.  Helma was her name.  Down to 4 cases: 1K, 75K, 2.5M, 5M.  Dealt at 1.495 million euro (according to Wikipedia).  Next box she would have removed was 5M.  She had 1K the entire time.  They have a top prize of 5,000,000 every week.  Here's the Wikipedia page on it.  It's my favorite version of the show.  Extremely tough to make it to play for the money, great quiz portion, Linda is terrific (and hot).  The entire show is more of a special event than any other I've seen.  And their theme music kicks ass.  Here's a video of her big win.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
DoND World Records
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 08:41:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Mar 19 2006, 05:02 PM\']I found this interesting, and since nobody else mentioned it, I thought I'd share.

According to a brief mention in last week's TVG, out of 35 countries where DoND is produced, two players have won the show's top prize -- though there's a pretty huge difference in their winnings.  A player in Italy won 500,000 euros (about $600K), and a player in Mexico won a million pesos (less than $100K).
[snapback]113532[/snapback]
[/quote]
So they're not counting Dean Whatshisname's win on the Australian DoND, just because at one time they offered more? That doesn't seem right. The Big One in his game was $200,000, and $200,000 is what he left with. That ought to count. It's not his fault that there were shows before his with more money involved.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

pownster

DoND World Records
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 08:43:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Mar 19 2006, 08:02 PM\']According to a brief mention in last week's TVG, out of 35 countries where DoND is produced, two players have won the show's top prize -- though there's a pretty huge difference in their winnings. A player in Italy won 500,000 euros (about $600K), and a player in Mexico won a million pesos (less than $100K). The article said that the biggest cash win was in Holland, where the grand prize is five million euros ($6M US) and a player made a deal for 1.5 million ($1.8M US).
[/quote]

Australia has also had a top prize win with the weekday edition - when Dean Cartechini won A$200,000 (around US$145,000).

[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Mar 19 2006, 08:02 PM\']Is the game in The Netherlands routinely played for five million euros?  That seems like an unusually large prize for European TV.
[/quote]

The Dutch version is funded by the National Lottery - hence the big cash prizes on offer and the spectacular set.
Chris Powney

Australian Game Show Home Page

http://members.iinet.net.au/~powney/gameshow/homepage.htm

MikeK

• Martha!
DoND World Records
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 08:44:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Mar 19 2006, 08:02 PM\']The article said that the biggest cash win was in Holland, where the grand prize is five million euros ($6M US) and a player made a deal for 1.5 million ($1.8M US).[/quote]
Bless Talpa's live video streams and archive.  This was the first show I saw on Talpa's live stream.  You can watch the entire episode through Talpa's web site, but you need a username and password to view archival footage (Programma Gemist).  That episode's air date is Nov. 13, 2005 (13-11-05).  It's an amazing episode.  Skip the first portion of the video to get to the case picking.

In addition to Helma winning €1,495,000, an at-home viewer won the same amount.

Is the game in The Netherlands routinely played for five million euros?  That seems like an unusually large prize for European TV.
Miljoenenjacht and Een Tegen 100 (1 Against 100) are Dutch lottery (Postcode Loterij) game shows.  While Miljoenenjacht is on hiatus for another ~2 months, Een Tegen 100 is holding down MJ's Sunday night time slot.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 08:49:57 PM by hmtriplecrown »

Kevin Prather

DoND World Records
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 09:08:38 PM »
Sunday night being 3:30pm ET.

Matt Ottinger

DoND World Records
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 11:08:16 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 19 2006, 08:41 PM\']So they're not counting Dean Whatshisname's win on the Australian DoND, just because at one time they offered more? That doesn't seem right. The Big One in his game was $200,000, and $200,000 is what he left with. That ought to count. It's not his fault that there were shows before his with more money involved.[/quote]
Seems more likely that the Aussie one just slipped through their cracks.  They were specifically referring to people who won the top prize, regardless of amount.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Brig Bother

DoND World Records
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 05:23:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Mar 20 2006, 04:08 AM\']
Seems more likely that the Aussie one just slipped through their cracks.  They were specifically referring to people who won the top prize, regardless of amount.
[snapback]113547[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well it's certainly been won in France many times.

Basically, the article is rubbish.

uncamark

DoND World Records
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 03:03:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' date=\'Mar 20 2006, 04:23 AM\'][quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Mar 20 2006, 04:08 AM\']
Seems more likely that the Aussie one just slipped through their cracks.  They were specifically referring to people who won the top prize, regardless of amount.
[snapback]113547[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well it's certainly been won in France many times.

Basically, the article is rubbish.
[snapback]113563[/snapback]
[/quote]

That's the new TV Guide for you.

It seems to me that the Dutch version of "Lingo" is or was at one time also done in conjunction with the Postcode Lottery.  Correct?

dzinkin

DoND World Records
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 03:30:45 PM »
Another Dutch show done in conjuction with the lottery: Lotto Weekend Miljonairs, their version of WWTBAM.  I saw an episode when I visited Holland some years ago, but am not sure if it's still on the air today.