Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: DoND: Will Anyone *Ever* Win a Million?  (Read 4972 times)

tvwxman

DoND: Will Anyone *Ever* Win a Million?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2006, 10:34:59 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 09:02 AM\']A lot of it would probably depend on what amount was just eliminated to get down to a penny and a million.  If he just eliminated another six-figure amount to be left with that senario, they could low-ball it a bit because they'd probably figure he's going to say "Deal" on the next offer no matter what it was.
[snapback]114259[/snapback]
[/quote]

But they don't. Every final 2 cases offer has been exactly the average of the two together. They "could" play into the psychology and study the player to see how low the offer could be low-balled for him to take, but they don't.

Another reason why the American version sucks.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

beatlefreak84

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2006, 01:48:50 PM »
But they don't. Every final 2 cases offer has been exactly the average of the two together. They "could" play into the psychology and study the player to see how low the offer could be low-balled for him to take, but they don't.

Nitpick alert:  The infamous $1 or $5 game had a bank offer of $2; if they had gone the average route, it would have been $3.

This nitpick alert has been brought to you by Geritol, America's Number One Tonic!

Uh, anyway, my experience with watching the show has been that they'll usually shy away from the exact average until near the end, and then they'll get closer and closer to  it.  However, as the nitpick alert above shows (and I think we all know who's going next with another one...:) ), they're not being as formulaic as it seems.  And that, personally, is why I love the show...:).

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2006, 01:52:44 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 10:48 AM\']they're not being as formulaic as it seems.  And that, personally, is why I love the show...:).
[/quote]
Point is, while that may be so, they're being WAYYYY more formulaic than they need to be, too.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2006, 05:53:38 PM »
they're being WAYYYY more formulaic than they need to be, too

Something unintentionally fleshed out in the speed we get the offer. Literally seconds between when Howie picks up the phone and it is known.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Don Howard

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2006, 07:38:02 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'114247\' date=\'Mar 26 2006, 10:15 PM\']
Actually, it was a reference to the Australian version, where the 50c case has a picture of a cartoon monkey on it. I've been told (but wouldn't mind confirming with someone in more authority to do so) that if a player actually wins the 50c a monkey comes out on stage to pay them off directly.
[/quote]
Somebody wouldn't happen to have a screen grab of this, would they? I have a skeptical co-worker who demands proof.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2006, 08:23:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'114323\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 04:38 PM\']
Somebody wouldn't happen to have a screen grab of this, would they? I have a skeptical co-worker who demands proof.
[/quote]
Yeah, I have doubts myself, hence the disclaimer. But I know that there is a jaunty cartoon of a monkey on the dollar amount in the case, and an animation of said monkey pops up when it's picked and the 50c is knocked off. So there has to be SOME story behind it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe