Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The best 'Password' player we never saw  (Read 2435 times)

The Pyramids

The best 'Password' player we never saw
« on: April 02, 2006, 10:11:44 PM »
I believe this was mentioned in passing before. I don't remember when. What were the reasons why Richard Dawson was never on 'Password Plus'? He was reportedly a great player on the ABC version.

zachhoran

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 10:24:54 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' post=\'115118\' date=\'Apr 2 2006, 10:11 PM\']
I believe this was mentioned in passing before. I don't remember when. What were the reasons why Richard Dawson was never on 'Password Plus'? He was reportedly a great player on the ABC version.
[/quote]

ABC didn't want Dawson doing an NBC show, and Howard Felsher didn't want to work with Dawson any more than he had to (Felsher was a producer on both shows)

dzinkin

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 10:33:28 PM »
I thought it had to do with the set not being able to accommodate Mr. Dawson's ego at the time.

(Am I stealing Mr. Clementson's thunder? :-)

Mike Tennant

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 11:36:07 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'115123\' date=\'Apr 2 2006, 10:33 PM\']
I thought it had to do with the set not being able to accommodate Mr. Dawson's ego at the time.
[/quote]
Especially given that it already had to accommodate Mr. Ludden's ego.

mmb5

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 12:00:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' post=\'115161\' date=\'Apr 3 2006, 11:36 AM\']
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'115123\' date=\'Apr 2 2006, 10:33 PM\']
[/quote]
Especially given that it already had to accommodate Mr. Ludden's ego.
[/quote]
And Felsher's.  The set must have been enormous.  Imagine if Frank Wayne stopped by.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 01:37:26 PM »
Since FF was airing in prime access on the NBC O&O's to great ratings, ABC most likely didn't want to loan Richard to NBC in daytime as well.  Besides, FF and P+ were Noon time slot competitors for about six months in 81-82.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

calliaume

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 02:14:26 PM »
I do remember watching the Password All-Stars tournament of champions week as a 12-year-old in 1974 (that was a great week for game shows on ABC, as The Big Showdown and The Money Maze premiered as well -- I guess I spent the whole week either in front of the TV or opening presents) -- Dawson was good and he won, but I don't remember him being off-the-charts great at the show.

I've got to think G-T just didn't want to deal with him at that point any more than they had to.  If NBC was willing to air Dick Clark's variety shows in prime time while he played on two different ABC series, I hardly think Dawson's Family Feud job would have been that big a impediment.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 02:14:54 PM by calliaume »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 10:32:23 PM »
A fairly logical possibility that hasn't been mentioned yet is that maybe Richard didn't have the desire to be on other game shows anymore after becoming a Big Big Star.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 11:49:10 AM »
Too many egos, like too many cooks will spoil a broth...anyone ever have the broth at the NBC Commissary?

Mike Tennant

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 12:20:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'115201\' date=\'Apr 3 2006, 10:32 PM\']
A fairly logical possibility that hasn't been mentioned yet is that maybe Richard didn't have the desire to be on other game shows anymore after becoming a Big Big Star.
[/quote]
I'm inclined to agree.  (My earlier comment in this thread was just an attempt at humor, not a serious answer to the question.)  After all, if Dawson wanted to get out of MG, where he was a very popular regular, so badly, it doesn't seem likely he'd want to be an occasional, rather fungible guest celebrity on yet another game show.