Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A 'Modern' Match Game Panel  (Read 2549 times)

Red

A 'Modern' Match Game Panel
« on: March 27, 2006, 01:14:12 PM »
At Palace, a discussion was formed bringing up on how a Match Game revival could 'still' work even after two failed attempts. But there were thoughts that a revival could not work without heavy changes, however I think that it could stay with it's classic format with the right host, and especially the right panel.

But honestly, there are not that many funny people out there who could take time out of their busy schedule and be regulars on such a show. So that brings me to my question.

Who would work the best on a panel of a modern revival of Match Game?
-Paul Ford

RedGiant@toonzone.net

entguy1

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 01:24:02 PM »
I think the places you need to look are VH1's "Best Week Ever" or any of the "I Love the ..." shows, or any number of E!'s countdown shows that have the comedians' comments mixed in. I've hoped this topic would come up for months -- there's some good GS-esque comedic talent there.

dale_grass

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 01:28:01 PM »
Lewis Black immediately came to mind.  He's a personable curmudgeon who's up on current events and has an edge, but not too much of one.  That, and he's damn funny.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 01:28:24 PM »
If there's something to be said of the nostalgia kick lately in movies and TV...and if the popularity of MG among adults I know personally translates to ratings, then I see no problem of going the MG 90 route and repurposing Charles Nelson Reilly. As for current stars, Brad Garett was good on MG 90. Other names that spring to mind as good, funny participants: Jon Cryer, Dave Coulier, Roger Lodge, a number of the "Scrubs" cast, etc. A lot of this depends on what network did it, or if it went into syndie. There are a number of people, thanks to reality TV and the current pop culture landscape, that are popular enough for this show and available.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 02:41:37 PM »
Is Chris Lemon available for the panel?  Oh wait, a lot of his responses would have to be censored.

I agree with the lines of those from "Best Week Ever" (gotta enjoy the humor from that show).  I have a feeling that the producers would go with the queen of the D-list as well, Kathy Griffin.

dzinkin

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 02:43:59 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 02:41 PM\']Is Chris Lemon available for the panel?  Oh wait, a lot of his responses would have to be censored.
[snapback]114291[/snapback]
[/quote]
At least he wouldn't answer every question with "PEEPEE."

("Gazpacho," on the other hand... ;-)

Don Howard

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 03:00:48 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 02:41 PM\']Is Chris Lemon available for the panel?
[snapback]114291[/snapback]
[/quote]
If Pat O'Brien is host, I am so on that panel.
Cue Burton Richardson! "From a local NPR affiliate....Don Howard!!"
My resume's got more on it than Conny Van Dyke, I'll tell ya.
And what was really so wrong with the Fred Willard version that it never made the schedule? I'd heard (around here anyway) that it rocked, but Fox passed on it anyway. Wasn't it cutting edge enough?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 03:00:58 PM by Don Howard »

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 03:26:08 PM »
I agree with the lines of those from "Best Week Ever"

How could I forget? Yeah, that's the sort of person I was getting at with my last remarks. Regardless if his last real credit is "Ed," Michael Ian Black and that ilk would be the type of people you could cast and purport to be a legitimate "celebrity" show to the average viewer.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

uncamark

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 03:49:06 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'114300\' date=\'Mar 27 2006, 02:26 PM\']
I agree with the lines of those from "Best Week Ever"

How could I forget? Yeah, that's the sort of person I was getting at with my last remarks. Regardless if his last real credit is "Ed," Michael Ian Black and that ilk would be the type of people you could cast and purport to be a legitimate "celebrity" show to the average viewer.
[/quote]

And a lot of the VH1 snarkfest gang have backgrounds in improvisational theater (the joke around Upright Citizens Brigade in New York is that someone from VH1's always around there, since they've used so many UCB people on their shows), which is a great background for a show like "MG."

In fact, right now in Chicago a bunch of improvers are doing a live "MG" show every Monday night.  Since it starts at 10:30 and Monday is a school night for me, I haven't caught it yet, but have heard nothing but good things about it (and the fact that they've got some non-improv people to come on as panelists is a good sign).  Their web site is www.improvmatchgame.com and they've also got one of those MySpace pages the kids love so much:

http://www.myspace.com/improvmatchgame