Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Got Time-Warner?  (Read 8275 times)

comicus

Got Time-Warner?
« on: March 29, 2006, 09:03:51 AM »
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/3751700.html

[indent]Game-show fans will have to pay extra for channel

Time Warner subscribers who like GSN, a digital cable channel offering new and off-network game shows, will have to pony up an additional $3 a month to get it beginning Friday.

TW says it's moving the network, which will stay on Channel 339, to its sports tier, where it will be bundled with Fox regional sports channels, Speed Channel, CSTV and Outdoor Channel. The cable company said low ratings dictated the change.[/indent]

Time to switch to Dish or DirecTV?

(Advertising removed. -DZ)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 09:07:03 AM by dzinkin »

dzinkin

Got Time-Warner?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 09:10:11 AM »
At least those TW subscribers have an option to keep GSN... here in Rochester it was deleted outright rather than moved, and since no warning was given we didn't even have a chance to protest before it happened.

Unrealtor

Got Time-Warner?
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 10:06:35 AM »
Dropped outright in the Austin area, too, though it's on expanded basic on the cable system my apartment uses.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
Got Time-Warner?
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 02:11:09 PM »
Dropped outright in the Austin area

That's interesting; further down the road here in San Antonio it's channel 78 on basic cable.

--Jamie

urbanpreppie05

Got Time-Warner?
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 02:32:40 PM »
67 here in Akron-Canton.

People seem to like Time-Warner now...but this wasnt always the case...:-)
insert signature here

Matt Ottinger

Got Time-Warner?
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 03:40:37 PM »
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' post=\'114615\' date=\'Mar 29 2006, 09:03 AM\']Time Warner subscribers who like GSN, a digital cable channel offering new and off-network game shows, will have to pony up an additional $3 a month to get it beginning Friday.[/quote]
The way that's written, it almost sounds like GSN is a stand-alone pay channel.  When you consider that the three dollars also includes a package of niche sports channels, it doesn't seem quite as bad.  I certainly see Cronin's point that GSN isn't a sports channel, but as he also said, they don't really have a lot of leverage.  I think they should count their blessings that it wasn't dropped altogether.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

zachhoran

Got Time-Warner?
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 07:07:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'114648\' date=\'Mar 29 2006, 03:40 PM\']

When you consider that the three dollars includes a package of niche sports channels in addition to GSN.

[/quote]

How much would one be willing to pay extra just for GSN is a good question? $10 is the absolute most on my end.

mclemore63

Got Time-Warner?
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 07:30:09 PM »
Here in Charlotte,GSN is now bundled with NBATV,Fuel,3 Fox College Sports channels, and the Outdoor Network.Speed Channel is still on basic as it's based here.

Travis D. McLemore,Jr.

"I think I'm in a deli...I'm on a roll!"
Mr. Baggy Pants,"Remote Control"

sshuffield70

Got Time-Warner?
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 08:19:23 PM »
[quote name=\'mclemore63\' post=\'114681\' date=\'Mar 29 2006, 06:30 PM\']
Here in Charlotte,GSN is now bundled with NBATV,Fuel,3 Fox College Sports channels, and the Outdoor Network.Speed Channel is still on basic as it's based here.

Travis D. McLemore,Jr.

"I think I'm in a deli...I'm on a roll!"
Mr. Baggy Pants,"Remote Control"
[/quote]

Damn that Anything To Win!

Matt Ottinger

Got Time-Warner?
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 10:32:10 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' post=\'114679\' date=\'Mar 29 2006, 07:07 PM\']How much would one be willing to pay extra just for GSN is a good question? $10 is the absolute most on my end.[/quote]
The federal government is leaning on cable and satellite companies to move more toward a la carte pricing, so that may not end up being a hypothetical question.  If it comes to that, I would think that the content providers with leverage would end up with even more power than they have now and GSN would have an even harder time surviving.

dad1153

Got Time-Warner?
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 10:34:50 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' post=\'114679\' date=\'Mar 29 2006, 07:07 PM\']
How much would one be willing to pay extra just for GSN is a good question? $10 is the absolute most on my end.
[/quote]

$20.  So sue me, I'm a gameshow whore! :-(

BrownBoyUT

Got Time-Warner?
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 11:28:27 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'114638\' date=\'Mar 29 2006, 03:11 PM\']
Dropped outright in the Austin area

That's interesting; further down the road here in San Antonio it's channel 78 on basic cable.

--Jamie
[/quote]

Not anymore. Being moved to a "sports tier" in the near future. GSN brought the mega-Chuck Woolery-bobblehead to town to drum up support to stay basic.

Greg Vallejo

P.S. Since it's being moved to the "sports tier," I wonder if the rebranding may be to blame... ;)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Got Time-Warner?
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 12:01:43 AM »
[quote name=\'mclemore63\' post=\'114681\' date=\'Mar 29 2006, 06:30 PM\']
Speed Channel is still on basic as it's based here.
[/quote]
Not to mention the fact that Charlotte is NASCAR country...and NASCAR's highest Neilsen ratings come from this market.

I'm pretty confident that if Speed Channel was based in California, it would still be on basic.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Got Time-Warner?
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 12:29:35 AM »
[quote name=\'dad1153\' post=\'114708\' date=\'Mar 29 2006, 07:34 PM\']
$20.  So sue me, I'm a gameshow whore! :-(
[/quote]
Wow. I won't pay fifteen bones a month for HBO. There is NO WAY I would pay even ten for GSN. I wouldn't pay five.

(Right now I pay the cable company, what, $55 or so a month after all taxes and fees and crap, for by my count 103 channels, whatever they give me On Demand for free (which ain't chicken feed, considering they carry local hockey games the day after), and an assload of music channels. So call that .50 per channel. Less, even. Make no mistake, a la carte pricing is gonna drive your bill UP, not down.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

Got Time-Warner?
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 12:42:40 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'114731\' date=\'Mar 30 2006, 12:29 AM\'](Right now I pay the cable company, what, $55 or so a month after all taxes and fees and crap, for by my count 103 channels, whatever they give me On Demand for free (which ain't chicken feed, considering they carry local hockey games the day after), and an assload of music channels. So call that .50 per channel. Less, even. Make no mistake, a la carte pricing is gonna drive your bill UP, not down.)[/quote]
Realizing we're drifting OT here, the problem with that line of reasoning is that it assumes you're going to want anywhere close to that many stations if/when a la carte happens.  The theoretical idea behind supporters of a la carte is that people will only choose a small number of channels (popular wisdom says about twenty, plus locals), and even if they pay a couple of bucks each for them, they still come out ahead.  The truth is that nobody knows for sure what's going to happen, but it will certainly disrupt the industry something fierce.