Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN's New 'Chain Reaction' Pilot(s)  (Read 16744 times)

dad1153

GSN's New 'Chain Reaction' Pilot(s)
« on: March 29, 2006, 10:43:42 PM »
I attended the taping of GSN’s Chain Reaction pilot (or should I say ‘pilots’) this afternoon at Sony Studios in New York City.  I also got to meet a few fellow board members (you know who you are!).  Please remember that the following are (a) impressions from a TV show still in development that could substantially change in its final form, and that (b) there’s still no guarantee the show will make it to air.  If properly handled and promoted though, this could be the GSN equivalent of the second coming of Lingo.

-LONG HOURS[/u]: Taping started at 2:30PM and wrapped around 7:45PM.  The reason for the lengthy taping schedule (besides the usual stoppage of tape for technical or other reasons) was that three[/u] pilots were taped on the same day.  The first two pilots were taped with two three-player teams, and the last pilot featured the winning teams from the first two shows going at it.  This last pilot was by far the best of the three shows taped since contestants, technical staff and host had gotten over their initial jitters/kinks and delivered a nail-bitter competition.  Too bad there were only a handful of audience members left (including relatives from some of the contestants) but that only left more pizza and sodas for the audience members that stayed ‘till the end.

-HOST[/u]: The host of the ‘Chain Reaction’ pilots was Tim Vincent from Access Hollywood.  Imagine Distraction host Jimmy Carr a few inches taller, a few pounds lighter and with his naughty comments toned down to a minimum (but not completely absent).  That’s Tim in a nutshell, and even though he lacks gameshow hosting experience these ‘Chain Reaction’ pilots showed the man has camera presence and potential when (or if?) he detaches himself from the teleprompter.  There were lots of tape stoppages (normal for a gameshow pilot) but Tim got a couple of solid adlibs involving the new blindfold end game (‘Basic Instinct 2’) and consolation of the losing team (group hug!).  After the tapings were over I asked Tim if he saw old 'Chain Reaction' shows for research and he said yes, he had seen a couple.  He didn't know who the host was though, but a production assistant told me it was the Cullen version.  

Continues Below

-SET[/u]: considering it was thrown together at the last minute and shoved into a tiny corner of Sony’s gigantic (and coooooold!) studio the set’s minimalism actually worked to the game’s advantage.  Imagine two gigantic ice blocks the size of a Family Feud podium for the three-member teams to stand behind, each with a single horizontal neon tube in the middle that looks like a frozen Star Wars lightsaber.  Now, in-between these two, add a similar-looking podium with a vertical purple (!) neon light/lightsaber for the host to stand behind.  Throw in lights on a blue canvas that bathes the camera-left side of the set in red and the camera-right side in blue, and voala!  Like Lingo the real action is on the TV screen via computer-generated graphics though, not the set.  Through most of the length of all three games I watched the screen was split three ways: half of the screen (the right side) was filled with the ongoing Chain Reaction, while the left side was split between two shots of the red and blue teams or a medium/CU shot of the contestant whose turn it is to guess the correct word.  Occasionally the director cut to a jib overhead shot of the set or a CU of Tim Vincent, but for most of the game the CG letters from the Chain Reaction share equal billing with the teams of contestants trying to solve them.

-GAMEPLAY[/u]: The core of ‘Chain Reaction’s’ gameplay remains virtually unchanged.  Two teams (team red and team blue) of three contestants (all civilians) take turns guessing words (seven in this version) that are related to one another.  Both teams start with a $1,000 Bank.  Players from each team (in their respective turns) can choose to go above or below a word on the board and see the next letter.  If the player fails to give the correct word control passes to the other team.  If they guess the right word they win the amount of money assigned to that round.  Completing the seven-letter chain reaction allows the team to go for the Speed Round where they have ten seconds to guess the two words in the middle of a four-word chain reaction.  During this Speed Round the top and bottom words are revealed and the first letters of the middle words are revealed.  If the team doesn’t guess the Speed Round correctly the opposing teams gets one chance to steal it and its pre-assigned total.  The monetary amounts for the first three ‘Chain Reaction’ games are:

1st CR: $100 for every word guessed correctly.  Speed Round prize:  $150

2nd CR: $200 for every word guessed correctly.  Speed Round prize: $250

3rd CR: $300 for every word guessed correctly.  Speed Round prize: $350

NOW HERE COMES THE BIG (BUT NOT NECESSARILY BAD) GAMEPLAY TWISTS:[/u]

Continues Below

On the 4th round of Chain Reactions players are allowed to wager up to $500 on each word guess (minimum wager is $100), but the team will lose the amount wagered if they can’t give the correct answer.  Since the guessing turns rotate between the three members of each team all three contestants have to keep track of both team’s bank and their opponents’ bank to ponder whether to wager high or low.  The Speed Round for the 4th CR is $750.  The 5th and final CR has no Speed Round but the wager limit is raised to $1,000 per correct word (again, minimum wager of $100).  One of the games I saw came down to the last word on the 5th and final Chain Reaction.  The red team was ahead with $3,350 to the blue team’s $2,800.  The contestant on the blue team whose turn was it to guess wagered $600 and guessed the correct and final word to complete the chain.  Blue team won the game $3,450 to the red team’s $3,350, and got a chance at…

-THE END GAME[/u]: a new podium (that also looks like a block of ice with a neon light/lightsaber frozen vertically) is brought on stage and placed in the center front of the other three podiums.  All neon lights flash the color of the winning team (red or blue) as one member of the team (not sure if it’s pre-determined, if it’s the team member that earned the most money or the last team member to guess the winning word) is blindfolded[/u] and placed at the center of the stage with his/her hand directly over a reception bell (the type you see in hotels and reception desks).  The other two team members are facing each other on the side of the center podium but are looking over-the-shoulders of their partner over into monitors positioned for them to see.  Imagine the Friend or Foe setting at the podium but with a blindfolded contestant where Kennedy used to stand (host Tim Vincent is slightly off to the right of the stage).  The team members that aren’t blindfolded see have to describe a word puzzle to their blind partner one word at a time (like the broken sentences in the Alphabetics portion of Super Password).  Any team member can pass, or the blindfolded team member (the only one that can guess the words) can click on the bell buzzer (or be forced to hit the buzzer by the other two team members) so they can guess incorrectly so the team can move on to another word.

There are 90 seconds to guess as many words as possible and the End Game prizes are:

Less than 7 words guessed correctly[/u]: the team keeps whatever money it earned during the Chain Reaction rounds.

Exactly 7 words guessed correctly[/u]: the team doubles whatever money it earned during the Chain Reaction rounds.    

10 words guessed correctly[/u]: the team triples whatever money it earned during the Chain Reaction rounds.

During the opening of the show Tim Vincent says that the most money that a team could win in this ‘Chain Reaction’ format would be $25,000.  This can only happen if the teams were to wager $500 and $1,000 on every word during the 4th and 5th Chain Reaction rounds though, and then went on to get 10 words in the End Game.

-CONTESTANTS[/u]: even though they didn’t get to keep their winnings (most of the teams split $1,000 between them) the contestants of the three ‘Chain Reaction’ pilots were fun and energetic.  Some contestants were a little too pumped-up and excited (which is what they’re asked to do by the producers to sell the show).  Most of the contestants were either actors or contestants from previous gameshows (particularly the ABC and syndicated versions of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire) that were called by the ‘Chain Reaction’ producers and asked to participate.  One of them, John Castellano, stood out from the bunch of good-looking twenty/thirty-something participants with his winning attitude and rotund, older figure.  John won $250,000 on ‘Millionaire’ during the Regis Philbin era, appeared with his family (which was present at the taping) in 1990 on the Ray Combs version of Family Feud and is a veteran of The Price Is Right & The $10,000 Pyramid from the 1970’s.  

Why do I mention John here?  Because the inclusion of somebody that breaks the casting mold established by the last couple of seasons of ‘Lingo’ (18-40; older people need not apply) gives hope to those of us that wish to appear on a GSN gameshow but aren’t good-looking model types.  There were other great contestants on the three ‘Chain Reaction’ pilots I saw today (particularly Christ McQuee, a $16,000 winner on the syndicated version of ‘Millionaire’ late last year that single handedly brought her team to victory at the last possible moment of the last puzzle on the last Chain Reaction of the last pilot taped today), but good ol’ John Castellano had more personality in his pinky finger than all other team members on all three pilot shows combined.

To the best of my knowledge the answers and puzzles weren’t fixed or recreated on any of the pilots.  What we saw were genuine reactions to genuine gameplay happening, including a blowout of one team over the other on the second pilot show (the 1st and 3rd shows went down to the wire).  I’ve taken notes of some of the puzzles and banks that were recorded during these three pilots, but I’m tired and need to go to bed early.  I’ll post this information in a follow-up post if somebody here is interested.  If nobody cares then I’ll forget about it.  Hope my incomplete and lame eyewitness account of the ‘Chain Reaction’ pilots was of interest to you.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 10:47:53 PM »
No, this was far from a lame account sir. Thank you very much. Sounds like the actual endgame is staying the same, but the payouts are all different. Not sure if I like how convoluted the dealings of money are...but I'll keep the jury out of things 'til I actually see the constant wagering mechanics in play. Sounds pretty darn nice, though.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Queen of Nerdocrombesia

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 10:53:06 PM »
Well done, sir, and if I weren't so tired, I'd add some more.  Perhaps later.
But be careful not to drink too much: you may get psoriasis.
(Someone want to take this one?)
"These days, if a show doesn't make it in a couple of weeks, it goes out in the alley.  Faith has become too expensive."

--Garry Moore, 1979

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 10:54:38 PM »
That actually sounds pretty exciting. Faithful to the original, and the changes didn't FUBAR the rules. Then again, in this case, I wonder how many people (outside of this forum) would really remember "Chain Reaction" in its NBC or USA form? (ditto for Lingo, esp. since it didn't even run a full season)

Thanks for the recap...I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

dad1153

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 11:00:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Queen of Nerdocrombesia\' post=\'114714\' date=\'Mar 29 2006, 10:53 PM\']
...be careful not to drink too much: you may get psoriasis.
(Someone want to take this one?)
[/quote]

I'll bite.  On the first pilot's end game one of the words the blindfolded contestant was trying to guess was 'Hang Over.'  The team members gave as clues (each saying a word at a time) something like: 'Sickness' 'That' 'Comes' 'In' 'The' 'Morning' 'After' 'You' 'Drink' 'Too' 'Much' (or something similar to that pattern).  The blindfolded team member slams the buzzer with fortitude and says without the slightest bit of irony: PSORIASIS[/u].  Huge laughs from audience, crew and fellow contestants alike.  Tape stops, but laughs continue for a good minute or so before composure returns and everybody picks-up from where they were.  I really hope this makes it into a GSN blooper special someday because it's ten times funnier to watch than to describe.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 11:01:29 PM »
I am duly impressed.

Not crazy about the blindfold, and I think the math is a bit wacky to triple up to $25,000.  But those are very minor concerns. This makes me happy.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 11:03:23 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

tyshaun1

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 11:03:53 PM »
Sounds almost exactly like the original's format, complete with the "GO!" endgame. I liked Chain Reaction, so this seems very interesting........ and the wager element sounds like it could add some spice, as well. Hope it's a  go (no pun intended).

Tyshaun

mystery7

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 11:12:19 PM »
There was a little bit of spice in the material for the game. One chain looked like this:

PRIVATE
DICK
BUTT--

I really feel bad for the players who "took one under Dick." (The last word was "Button," as in Dick Button, the figure skater.)

A few of the exchanges during the show were worth mentioning. Contestant Steve had an interesting response to

B
FREEZE:

Belly Button. Not long after that, the computer that ran the game had a "belly button freeze," accounting for one of the many stoppages that held up taping.

The bonus round had the same comic potential as it always did. The answer that justified my visit (which Queen alluded to):

What sickness do you get from drinking too much?
PSORIASIS

Oh, the heartbreak. But yes, a fun show I hope makes it to GSN. Couple more observations coming up next.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 11:12:24 PM »
I realize this is all conjecture at this point, but I don't think the wager is a good move.

Looking at a blank chain, even given one letter, there is no way I bet the limit unless I have a big lead, or ground to make up. I'm not sure why they magically decided that two Wager Chains were necessary. I like the idea of that speed chain bonus deal, though. I suppose it's a wash.
Travis L. Eberle

mystery7

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 11:25:36 PM »
Some of the play elements were not quite all there:

1. Chains weren't explained word-by-word as they used to be. The only explanation of anything was that Beaver Stadium is the name of the stadium at Penn State. I'd be willing to bet that not many people remember who Dick Button was, but nobody explained his significance to the world of figure skating.

2. Tim forgot to mention that if a player used more than one word at a time in the bonus round, they'd have to throw the word out and move on. But they do get extra points for using the original NBC cuckoo...or trying to. There was one bobble where it should've gone off but didn't. A couple of things throught the taping session went unheard and required pickups to correct.

3. The player answering the questions seemed to ring the bell most often, contrary to how it was done on NBC. A few times the bell-ringing became a group effort.

4. Tim's British accent got in the way of the game once or twice. There was about a minute of him trying to pronounce the word "sore" to acceptable American dialectical standards.

5. The blindfold made for good theatrics and a nice tease going into the breaks, but I suspect that if the show sees air there'll be monitors in the desk, or laptops a la Pyramid.

6. There was no theme. I'm not sure if they had one in mind yet or were going to add music in post, but the mind wonders as to whether there'll be an all-new theme or at least a remix of the Bob Cobert original I love so much.

I'll leave the rest of the summaries to the others.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 11:28:12 PM by mystery7 »

goongas

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 11:26:30 PM »
John Castellano was on syndicated BAM last season I believe.  I think he was the record store owner from Staten Island whose store was flooded.  He is easily one of the best contestants they ever picked for the show, and I believe his show was the clip shown on the Daytime Emmys.

weaklink75

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 11:39:18 PM »
sound like it's an interesting twist to the format....yet keeps most of the basics to the game. The blindfold does smell of "it's a pilot, so we're keeping it cheap" sorta thing...

Clay Zambo

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 11:56:04 PM »
Thanks for the terrific account.  The wagering rules made me a little dizzy, but you explained them clearly; I'm just not sure they're a good idea.

Hoping to see this one go to series, and soon!
czambo@mac.com

dad1153

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 02:56:19 AM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' post=\'114722\' date=\'Mar 29 2006, 11:25 PM\']
4. Tim's British accent got in the way of the game once or twice. There was about a minute of him trying to pronounce the word "sore" to acceptable American dialectical standards.[/quote]

Tim mentioned during a stoppage that he was from Wales.  He also told some of us (the diehards that stayed 'till the very end) that he's the East Coast-based correspondent for 'Access Hollywood' that was bumped-up when Pat O'Brien left the show.  If the show migrates to the West Coast when/if its picked-up (a real possibility) then Tim would either have to quit 'AH' or quit the 'Chain Reaction' project to stay (which renders this whole debate about his performance worthless).  Also, at least indirectly and in spirit, the spectrum of Pat O'Brien was hanging around the set last Wednesday during taping.

6. There was no theme. I'm not sure if they had one in mind yet or were going to add music in post, but the mind wonders as to whether there'll be an all-new theme or at least a remix of the Bob Cobert original I love so much.

Dude, it's a pilot.  There was also no logo beyond the words in the monitors that looked like the words 'Chain Reaction' replacing the words of the 'Street Smarts' logo.  I'll tell you what was there: annoying sound effects.  Every time the chain reactions letters were going (in an electronic effect similar to that of the old train schedules flipping on a board) there was a sound effect that sounded like a small round of a Tommy machinegun from the 1930's going off.  It's a testament to how rock-solid the gameplay of 'Chain Reaction' was that, despite the sound effect and no music, the pilot's gameplay managed to be compelling and held the audience/contestants on pins and needles.  Good 'Millionaire'-type tension music and better sound effects can only enhance something that's already strong.

A few things here and there that I just remembered since the last posting:

-while a few words in the chains here and there were suggestine and/or mildly blue ('Start the chain on 'RUMP' and finish on 'GIRL,' start on 'BOOB' and finish on 'DOWN,' etc.) a few of the chains were very clever in leading the contestants and audience into believing one word was used only to have another word turn out.  When one of the members of the blue team said 'American Idol' after the letters 'ID' appeared below 'AMERICAN' we all started clapping/cheering, then gave a collective (and loud) GASP! when it did't turn out to be right.  Eventually the 'ID' gave way to the word 'IDIOT' (as in 'American Idiot').

-One of the puzzles started with the word 'Dick' and had a 'C' below; this eventually gave way to 'DICK CLARK.'  Another puzzle ended with the word 'Sharks' and had a 'C' above.  The contestant put it together and said 'CARD SHARKS,' which prompted Tim to mention that Bob Eubanks hosted that show and that 'Card Sharks' airs on GSN.  I don't recall Chuck Woolery ever plugging other GSN shows/hosts from a puzzle off of 'Lingo.'

-Speaking of GSN, on all three pilots Tim had the same throw line to commercial after the first chain was completed: (paraphrasing) 'As we go to commercial log on to GSN.com to play along with 'Chain Reaction.'  Like 'Lingo' a good play-along online experience could be made out of the game's basic gameplay and GSN is likely to make this a selling point;

-I didn't see this but a fellow Invision board member swore to me he/she saw Michael Davies stick his head inside the studio for just a second during taping.  Make of that what you will.

Brig Bother

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 04:01:29 AM »
[quote name=\'dad1153\' post=\'114710\' date=\'Mar 30 2006, 04:43 AM\']
The host of the ‘Chain Reaction’ pilots was Tim Vincent from Access Hollywood.  Imagine Distraction host Jimmy Carr a few inches taller, a few pounds lighter and with his naughty comments toned down to a minimum (but not completely absent).  [/quote]

Crikey!