Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN's New 'Chain Reaction' Pilot(s)  (Read 16745 times)

dad1153

GSN's New 'Chain Reaction' Pilot(s)
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2006, 03:52:11 PM »
Well then it couldn't have been a Michael Davies production. Was there any eerie music?

Dude, it's a pilot.  If GSN picks it up youl'll see motorized everything and more lights than at a William S. Burroughs memorial.  Until then gameplay is king in setting-up the pilot; gameplay will be watered-down in no time for the actual show.

mystery7

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2006, 03:56:10 PM »
No music at all except for what they used in the Speed Chains. A couple people thought the SFX were kinda eerie.

curtking

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2006, 03:58:52 PM »
[quote name=\'dad1153\' post=\'114887\' date=\'Mar 31 2006, 04:52 PM\']
Well then it couldn't have been a Michael Davies production. Was there any eerie music?

Dude, it's a pilot.[/quote]
I believe Chris was being sarcastic.

Curt

aaron sica

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2006, 04:01:52 PM »
[quote name=\'dad1153\' post=\'114887\' date=\'Mar 31 2006, 03:52 PM\']

Dude, it's a pilot.  If GSN picks it up youl'll see motorized everything and more lights than at a William S. Burroughs memorial.  Until then gameplay is king in setting-up the pilot; gameplay will be watered-down in no time for the actual show.
[/quote]

I'd venture a pretty safe guess that Chris is familiar with being around game show sets. :)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2006, 04:17:20 PM »
If GSN picks it up youl'll see motorized everything
God forbid.

gameplay is king in setting-up the pilot
Thanks for the tip. ("Game play" is two words, BTW.)

GS Warehouse

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2006, 04:43:10 PM »
[quote name=\'dad1153\' post=\'114887\' date=\'Mar 31 2006, 03:52 PM\']... If GSN picks it up youl'll see motorized everything ...[/quote]
Including a motorized host?  Somehow I figured some show would eventually come along and have a Cullenbot built for it.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 04:43:47 PM by GS Warehouse »

Peter Sarrett

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2006, 08:10:45 PM »
I'm sorry, "AMERICAN IDIOT"?  I'm feeling like one, because this doesn't click for me at all.  Is this phrase "in the language", as they say, or is it a title of something?

Answering my own question, it's Google to the rescue: apparently American Idiot is the title of a Green Day album.  Which of course only begs the question, "Green Day?"

The better answer here was definitely AMERICAN IDOL.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2006, 08:18:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Peter Sarrett\' post=\'114917\' date=\'Mar 31 2006, 05:10 PM\']
I'm sorry, "AMERICAN IDIOT"?  I'm feeling like one, because this doesn't click for me at all.  Is this phrase "in the language", as they say, or is it a title of something?
[/quote]
Yeah, few years past ya, my friend. "American Idiot" is the title (and title track) of a hugely successful Green Day album. To a contestant base (and target audience) of good-looking twentysomethings, it's absolutely a reasonable link in a chain.

EDIT: Duh, you already found out who they are. But, yeah, it's well-known enough to be in contemporary vernacular.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 08:21:33 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2006, 08:20:45 PM »
I'm a little confused about how one valid two-word phrase can be a "better answer" than another.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

clemon79

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2006, 08:23:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'114920\' date=\'Mar 31 2006, 05:20 PM\']
I'm a little confused about how one valid two-word phrase can be a "better answer" than another.
[/quote]
I think Peter is suggesting that "American Idol" is gonna leave fewer viewers scratching their heads than "American Idiot", which is probably going to confuse soccer moms and old people. Which is probably true, but we know that GSN is totally shooting for that 18-35 audience they will never get instead of being happy with the old people with assloads of cash who do watch them.

mystery7

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2006, 08:30:40 PM »
So how many of those 18-35ers would remember who Dick Button was? Or the significance of "Jordan Almond," which got my airplanes circling?

Peter Sarrett

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2006, 08:32:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'114920\' date=\'Mar 31 2006, 05:20 PM\']
[/quote]

A valid question.  In puzzles or in a game such as this, I think a phrase that is likely to be familiar to more people is better than one which is likely to be familiar to fewer.  If I'm playing along and an answer isn't familiar to me, I'll feel some combination of angry, frustrated, and cheated.  I do not think the list of emotions a producer would prefer to engender in his game show audience include anger, frustration, or betrayal.

If the host explains the answer, that ameliorates some of that feeling with a "Huh.  I didn't know that-- I just learned something," but I'll still feel like I had no chance of correctly guessing that answer.

So AMERICAN IDOL, a phrase familiar to anyone watching television (and therefore 100% of the show's audience), strikes me as a better answer than AMERICAN IDIOT, a phrase familiar to people who keep up to date with popular music (substantially less than 100% of the show's audience), in that it will be recognized by, and therefore be more satisfying to, a greater number of viewers.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 08:35:30 PM by Peter Sarrett »

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2006, 08:44:13 PM »
Oh, I think an explanation is warranted whenever someone's "obvious" guess is wrong. But if I'm watching that unfold, I'm thinking "Clever! They led them down the garden path with that one."

Also, is it "ID____" that makes this situation? What about a guess of "Idol" when only the I is showing?
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Queen of Nerdocrombesia

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2006, 11:15:29 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' post=\'114923\' date=\'Mar 31 2006, 08:30 PM\']
Or the significance of "Jordan Almond," which got my airplanes circling?
[/quote]

I believe the Jordan Almond reveal got a bit of a collective "Whaa?" from the audience gathered, myself included.  One can marvel why it wasn't at the little catering nook (as opposed to a 'Soup Nook' misstep in the first show).
"These days, if a show doesn't make it in a couple of weeks, it goes out in the alley.  Faith has become too expensive."

--Garry Moore, 1979

clemon79

« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2006, 05:17:43 AM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' post=\'114923\' date=\'Mar 31 2006, 05:30 PM\']
So how many of those 18-35ers would remember who Dick Button was?
[/quote]
Well, probably anyone who watched NBC's Olympic figure skating coverage, for one.
Or the significance of "Jordan Almond," which got my airplanes circling?
....anyone who's been to a wedding, most likely.