Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Dating Game  (Read 1529 times)

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
The Dating Game
« on: April 03, 2006, 04:22:46 AM »
Here's a question for those knowledgeable on game shows of the 1960s:

Can anyone confirm that The Dating Game once had a different format that entailed the bachelorette making her selections based upon videotaped segments of the bachelors?
A contact of mine says he's been searching for episodes of this supposed format, but I'd never even heard of the original Dating Game possessing any other format.
Anyone out there to vouch for it? Any clarification would be appreciated!

--Jamie
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 04:23:34 AM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

uncamark

The Dating Game
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 03:16:24 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'115141\' date=\'Apr 3 2006, 03:22 AM\']
Here's a question for those knowledgeable on game shows of the 1960s:

Can anyone confirm that The Dating Game once had a different format that entailed the bachelorette making her selections based upon videotaped segments of the bachelors?
A contact of mine says he's been searching for episodes of this supposed format, but I'd never even heard of the original Dating Game possessing any other format.
Anyone out there to vouch for it? Any clarification would be appreciated!
[/quote]

The only early variation of "TDG" that I can remember was the Regents providing the live music in the early days and the two go-go girls.  Otherwise, it always was the three schmucks behind the wall--and HEEEEERRREEE THEY ARRREEE!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Dating Game
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 03:25:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'115141\' date=\'Apr 3 2006, 01:22 AM\']
[/quote]
Trade him some episodes of Love Connection. He'll never know the difference. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Ian Wallis

The Dating Game
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 04:24:42 PM »
The only time I ever saw women being able to get a look at the bachelors before choosing was in the first season of the late '90s version; other than that I don't think it ever happened.

I had also heard somewhere a while back that the format and set for Newlywed Game was much different the first few months it aired...but as we can see from the early episode on the trade curcuit, about the only difference was the bonus question being worth 35 points.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

ChuckNet

The Dating Game
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 11:34:27 PM »
I had also heard somewhere a while back that the format and set for Newlywed Game was much different the first few months it aired...but as we can see from the early episode on the trade curcuit, about the only difference was the bonus question being worth 35 points.

And instead of Barris mainstay Johnny Jacobs, the announcer was Scott Beach...in It's In the Book, Bob, Eubanks mentions that Beach's idea of audience warm-up was performing war protest songs, which only served to depress the audience, leading to his quick replacement.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")