Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mere formalities  (Read 4036 times)

The Pyramids

Mere formalities
« on: April 04, 2006, 07:40:01 PM »
Everyone can see that 'Deal Or No Deal' players are offered a low first deal just as a formality, just like when Richard Dawson would ask 'play or pass' in the final round. Anyone else have any routine formalities that hosts and players had to go through? John Daly asking contestants if they are familiar with the scoring system comes to mind.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 09:36:35 PM by PaulD »

dale_grass

Mere formalities
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 07:59:07 PM »
Conversely, I like how the Millionaire hosts skip the formality of "Is that your final answer?" on the lower tier questions.  It gets the game through the doldrums faster and into the exciting BIG MONEY!!!  Anyhoo, back to the topic at hand...

Kevin Prather

Mere formalities
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 08:05:29 PM »
Technically, they don't skip that formality. They just cut it from the show in post.

BrandonFG

Mere formalities
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 08:37:33 PM »
Peter/John/Tom reminding HS contestants that they can't give away the square, it must be "earned".
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Steve Gavazzi

Mere formalities
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 08:47:43 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'115325\' date=\'Apr 4 2006, 08:37 PM\']
Peter/John/Tom reminding HS contestants that they can't give away the square, it must be "earned".
[/quote]

Was that really a formality with John? ;-)

Jimmy Owen

Mere formalities
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 09:26:14 PM »
Pat Finn used to say "The Joker's Wild is a game of definitions."  C'mon, Pat, everybody knows that!  

Bob Eubanks:  "All of our couples have been married less than a year."  Duh, Bob, that's why it's "The Newlywed Game."

Any question on Bob Barker's "Truth or Consequences" I don't recall ever seeing anyone escape the consequences.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

The Pyramids

Mere formalities
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 09:41:54 PM »
There was Peter Marshall reminding contestants who were about to win a round that the secret square was still unrevealed if they wanted to 'gamble.' I don't remeber a contestant ever choosing this option on reruns we saw.

Don Howard

Mere formalities
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 10:45:19 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' post=\'115329\' date=\'Apr 4 2006, 09:41 PM\']
There was Peter Marshall reminding contestants who were about to win a round that the secret square was still unrevealed if they wanted to 'gamble.' I don't remeber a contestant ever choosing this option on reruns we saw.
[/quote]
Ah, answering your own survey question. That's choice.
Here, I believe, is one:
An ace is shown as the base card on Card Sharks and the emcee (or in Pat Bullard's case "the twit") would first ask if the player wanted to keep the card and then ask if the next card is higher or lower.

DrBear

Mere formalities
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 11:36:56 PM »
Add John Daly asking every contestant who signed in if they were familiar with the way "we keep score." Folks from MADAGASCAR knew for cripe sakes...well almost. Maybe one out of every 20.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Clay Zambo

Mere formalities
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 08:23:47 AM »
Hosts of pre-taped shows (primarily Jack Barry) asking players if they'd be able to come back "tomorrow"...
czambo@mac.com

Ian Wallis

Mere formalities
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 09:09:58 AM »
Any question on Bob Barker's "Truth or Consequences" I don't recall ever seeing anyone escape the consequences.

I remember one episode where a contestant actually did answer the question, so Bob immediately asked another question - which they missed - and had to pay the consequences.

I'm not sure if it happened on the episodes GSN ran, but it did happen occasionally.  I don't ever remember a contestant who did that losing the game though!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Don Howard

Mere formalities
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 10:02:13 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'115343\' date=\'Apr 4 2006, 11:36 PM\']
Add John Daly asking every contestant who signed in if they were familiar with the way "we keep score." Folks from MADAGASCAR knew for cripe sakes...well almost. Maybe one out of every 20.
[/quote]
As cited by the author of the original post. Bob Barker reminding the players in Contestants' Row on The Price Is Right to make their bids in dollars because the actual retail price is rounded off to the nearest dollar. This is important, I suppose, to those who believe they're supposed to bid in euros.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 10:02:24 AM by Don Howard »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Mere formalities
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 10:22:59 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'115370\' date=\'Apr 5 2006, 07:02 AM\']
This is important, I suppose, to those who believe they're supposed to bid in euros.
[/quote]
<whacks Sarcasm Detector> Is this thing broken?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

Mere formalities
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 11:34:43 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'115366\' date=\'Apr 5 2006, 08:09 AM\']

I remember one episode where a contestant actually did answer the question, so Bob immediately asked another question - which they missed - and had to pay the consequences.
[/quote]

I remember that, too, more than once. I think Bob's excuse was the buzzer beat them (since it rang within half a second of his asking the question). I also recall them getting ready to do a bit involving pies or hot seats and Bob discovering the contestant was a minister. He got a free pass.

During the bonus round on "Joker's Wild," Jack usually asked the player if he or she wanted to quit with the money or spin again. I don't recall anyone ever stopping with their crisp $125. Man, that bonus game was dull.

Oh, and on TPIR, didn't someone in the last month or so try to bid $1.95 or something like that, requiring Bob to repeat the rule?

zachhoran

Mere formalities
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 11:46:23 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'115379\' date=\'Apr 5 2006, 11:34 AM\']

During the bonus round on "Joker's Wild," Jack usually asked the player if he or she wanted to quit with the money or spin again. I don't recall anyone ever stopping with their crisp $125. Man, that bonus game was dull.

[/quote]

This "take the money" rule was rarely mentioned on-air during the TTD bonus round, particularly after the first year or two. Most of its later mentions was when a player actually decided to quit.