Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: THE STRANGE QUIRKS W/ NBC DAYTIME GAME SHOWS  (Read 7460 times)

uncamark

THE STRANGE QUIRKS W/ NBC DAYTIME GAME SHOWS
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2006, 12:35:06 PM »
[quote name=\'megamanj1986\' post=\'115196\' date=\'Apr 3 2006, 06:24 PM\']
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'114541\' date=\'Mar 28 2006, 08:06 PM\']
[quote name=\'megamanj1986\' post=\'114519\' date=\'Mar 28 2006, 05:53 PM\']
Also, on Scrabble, during the Straddled Format-era on the first two years from 1984-86 (when there was no audince on camera in the intros), there could be hints of Audience Tracks on there, but I'm not sure, though.

So someone will have to clue me in on that one.
[/quote]
Trust me on this one--there were more than hints of audience tracks on SCRABBLE.  Even when you saw the real audience on camera on SCRABBLE, audience tracks were used.  It was pretty much that way for every NBC Burbank-based game show (can't speak for the NY ones).  And you can't just limit it to game shows--LAUGH-IN used audience tracks, Filp Wilson's show used them and SANFORD AND SON, CHICO & THE MAN and the first season of KOTTER (which taped in Burbank, they moved to ABC's facility starting with the second season) were all McKenzied as well.  And even when KOTTER jumped studios, that doesn't mean reactions were genuine. . .

Tune in next time, when I give a shocking exposé on the existence of the Easter Bunny.

Doug
[/quote]

The same can also go for Johnny Carson's shows when his shows moved to Burbank, right?
[/quote]

Carson never sweetened.  *Never.*  That included a ill-advised late 60s prime time special of sketches that fell flat in the studio (but had Johnny Olsen as an announcer) and his "World's Greatest Practical Jokes" special (which led to "TV's Bloopers and Practical Jokes").  NBC would've probably preferred a laugh track on the "Practical Jokes" show, but the closest they got was the crew yocking it up in the background when Carson did the reveals on the jokes played in the show.

Besides, part of Carson's charm was his ability to get out of hostile audience situations and save bad material.  With Mother MacKenzie in operation, that quality would've been hidden.

Which leads me to one of the few memorable moments from "Hollywood Connection," shot at KTLA:  Milton Berle tells a joke that gets no response from the audience.  He starts doing his "1...2...3...4..." schtick and Jan Murray says, "Don't worry, Milton--by the time this show goes on the air, you'll have your laugh!"