Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What's this?  (Read 1620 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
What's this?
« on: April 13, 2006, 09:56:17 AM »
A recent episode of "Temptation" showed the most recent Lot winner competing with someone else in an event titled "Quizmaster." Having never heard of this or seen any of it, I toss this one up to the Australian contingent of the board. Is this some sort of Tournament of Champions for big winners on the quiz shows down there? If so, how does it work? The two players had scores of 110 and 80 at the end of the game, so if it's played like Sale of the Century, those are mighty good scores.
Travis L. Eberle

Brig Bother

What's this?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 09:57:55 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'116053\' date=\'Apr 13 2006, 02:56 PM\']
A recent episode of "Temptation" showed the most recent Lot winner competing with someone else in an event titled "Quizmaster." Having never heard of this or seen any of it, I toss this one up to the Australian contingent of the board. Is this some sort of Tournament of Champions for big winners on the quiz shows down there? If so, how does it work? The two players had scores of 110 and 80 at the end of the game, so if it's played like Sale of the Century, those are mighty good scores.
[/quote]

Do you mean this?

QuizMaster

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
What's this?
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 10:35:28 AM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' post=\'116054\' date=\'Apr 13 2006, 06:57 AM\']
Do you mean this?

QuizMaster
[/quote]
No, this was the QuizMasters tournament on Temptation. And yes, Travis, it was basically a much smaller version of the Jeopardy UTOC, with past and current Lot winners. (I wonder if Simon from New Century played. I'm sure he would thank Grundy's in a big way if he did.)

Regarding those scores, based on the desk configuration it looks like the matches were all head to head (confirmation would be great...Chris Powney, where are you, you crazy rascal?), so remember that the scores are gonna be higher when you're dividing all of the dollars two ways instead of three, and I gotta think it's far less likely that players in a tournament such as that are gonna spend money on Gift Shops and what not along the way.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
What's this?
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 05:55:57 PM »
This particular Quizmaster tourney had not only the Lot Winners for Temptation, but a couple from Sale and the two big winners from Aussie WWTBAM.

Results are here.

SoTC, in its later years in Oz, would often bring back the previous three Lot winners to go head-to-head in "Super Sale", which was similar to "Quizmaster."
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 05:56:41 PM by ChrisLambert! »
@lambertman

davidhammett

What's this?
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 01:48:57 AM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' post=\'116117\' date=\'Apr 13 2006, 04:55 PM\']
This particular Quizmaster tourney had not only the Lot Winners for Temptation, but a couple from Sale and the two big winners from Aussie WWTBAM.

Results are here.

SoTC, in its later years in Oz, would often bring back the previous three Lot winners to go head-to-head in "Super Sale", which was similar to "Quizmaster."
[/quote]

I was fortunate/lucky enough to be visiting down under while the Temptation Quizmaster tournament was taking place two weeks ago.  I caught the Thursday semi-final and the Grand Final on the 3rd; what made the Grand Final interesting was (a) the extent to which they tempted the players to buy during the game ($4K prize + $5K cash for $6; $6K prize + $10K cash for $10), and (b) the match-up of Rob and Yolanda, which was fairly close until Rob uncovered the Lockout card and ran up a $15 lead after a Fame Game round... undoubtedly the momentum shift of the game.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
What's this?
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 10:22:35 AM »
[quote name=\'davidhammett\' post=\'116202\' date=\'Apr 14 2006, 10:48 PM\']
I was fortunate/lucky enough to be visiting down under while the Temptation Quizmaster tournament was taking place two weeks ago.  I caught the Thursday semi-final and the Grand Final on the 3rd; what made the Grand Final interesting was (a) the extent to which they tempted the players to buy during the game ($4K prize + $5K cash for $6; $6K prize + $10K cash for $10), and [/quote] The fact that only the third place player is knocked out in the early rounds makes the Gift Shops more interesting, if only by a little bit. I've always looked at the Gift Shop as, "If I were to lose by $5, would I be happy winning whatever was on offer?". When the grand prize is increased to something like $250,000, I can't imagine anyone being confident enough to take anything. Even a shot at a doubled Cash Vault (I know, they don't do that) wouldn't be enough for me to give up part of the lead.

With two players going through, you only need to beat one other player, and if you're already in the lead, that's easier still. Neat to see that the temptations are ramped up quite a bit in the early rounds.

(b) the match-up of Rob and Yolanda, which was fairly close until Rob uncovered the Lockout card and ran up a $15 lead after a Fame Game round... undoubtedly the momentum shift of the game.
Such is the game, I guess, and that proves why I'd be awful on a "Sale" revival. I am absolute crap on the Fame Game questions, and if there is a chance to play three questions unopposed, that very much imbalances the game, especially when it's a Grand Final.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 10:22:56 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle