Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: August 31, 1998  (Read 3636 times)

brianhenke

August 31, 1998
« on: September 01, 2003, 07:26:33 AM »
Five years ago yesterday, Paxson Communications launched a network with an all-family appeal. The Pax network was born on August 31, 1998.

Game show fans were getting ready for the offering at 2:30 p.m. The Reel to Reel Picture Show, starring Peter Marshall as he hosted once again a game featuring celebrities. It was based on a board game about movies that was popular in the U.K. The producers had signed on for a whopping 200 episodes.

Reel to Reel was the top-rated daytime show on Pax, according to Marshall. However, the bottom fell out. The producers went bankrupt after only 30 episodes were made.  Winning contestants demanded that Pax pay for the prizes which they had won. The celebrities who had flown to Florida to tape the shows were not paid.  Marshall wasn't paid for his hosting duties and was said to be $100,000 in the hole. Reel to Reel was demoted by Pax to late night on weekends, and by late 1998 the show was off the air.

Separate money problems that Reel to Reel had have continued to affect Pax even to this day (daytime it's all infomercials now), and the home of Supermarket Sweep, STYD and Family Feud and Weakest Link reruns since 1999 may eventually have to be put up for sale or fold altogether.  The only other regularly seen game that originated on Pax was this year's Dirty Rotten Cheater.

Brian

100 plus 100 equals 600?

We want some more pro wrestling (STILL) and NASCAR questions!
The leaves start to change color in May?

Jimmy Owen

August 31, 1998
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2003, 10:12:10 AM »
Gotta say this for PAX, they are more game show friendly than the other six over-the-air networks.  Why do people root for its demise?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

August 31, 1998
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2003, 10:32:35 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Sep 1 2003, 09:12 AM\'] Gotta say this for PAX, they are more game show friendly than the other six over-the-air networks.  Why do people root for its demise? [/quote]
 I don't wish for the networks demise, though the odds do favor PAX not being around much longer. I don't like that they renewed Shop Till You Drop over SUpermarket Sweep, but they did.

Brandon Brooks

August 31, 1998
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2003, 11:46:08 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Sep 1 2003, 09:12 AM\'] Gotta say this for PAX, they are more game show friendly than the other six over-the-air networks.  Why do people root for its demise? [/quote]
 A general statement, not justified by any comment made in this string, and more than likely, the board.

Brandon Brooks

PeterMarshallFan

August 31, 1998
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2003, 12:05:27 PM »
Reel to Reel really shouldn't have met the unfortunate fate that it did. Yes, the show as it was was pretty much was a mess, but if someone had stepped in to save it and fix it up, it might have had a chance. Some things I would have done to fix it:

-Make the \"Take Two\" and \"Pete's Picks\" cues MUCH louder so Marshall wouldn't miss them.

-somehow speed up the \"Director's Chair\"--that round moved like a snail!

-enlarge the print on the questions so Marshall could read them [notice he had no problems on H2 last year]

-move it to CA so better celebs could be booked
« Last Edit: September 01, 2003, 12:28:17 PM by PeterMarshallFan »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
August 31, 1998
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2003, 02:12:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Sep 1 2003, 07:12 AM\'] Gotta say this for PAX, they are more game show friendly than the other six over-the-air networks.  Why do people root for its demise? [/quote]
 I'll tell you why. Because, for the most part, the type of people who watch and support PAX are the exact same people who try to bully other networks into affecting what I can and cannot watch elsewhere on my television, and people who attempt to censor in the name of Jay-zus Kee-rist make me ill.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

August 31, 1998
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2003, 03:49:19 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Sep 1 2003, 11:05 AM\'] Reel to Reel really shouldn't have met the unfortunate fate that it did. Yes, the show as it was was pretty much was a mess, but if someone had stepped in to save it and fix it up, it might have had a chance. Some things I would have done to fix it:

-Make the \"Take Two\" and \"Pete's Picks\" cues MUCH louder so Marshall wouldn't miss them.

-somehow speed up the \"Director's Chair\"--that round moved like a snail!

-enlarge the print on the questions so Marshall could read them [notice he had no problems on H2 last year]

-move it to CA so better celebs could be booked [/quote]
I would've put toteboards that could've actually been read by the home audience. When your show used LED totes like on my alarm clock, you know you're working with something cheap, esp. when the pilot used monitors! :-P

And don't even get me started on that cheap chryon job they did...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2003, 03:49:51 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

ChuckNet

August 31, 1998
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2003, 12:23:40 PM »
And unless they have a miracle soon, it may also end w/a GS, StYD being the only \"new\" entry this season.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")