Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSN Lingo Auditions (4/17 Boston)  (Read 7044 times)

cmjb13

GSN Lingo Auditions (4/17 Boston)
« on: April 17, 2006, 08:40:07 PM »
Just got back from the Lingo auditions today in Boston. It was a different setup than I expected. It was a small tent outdoors as part of a Boston Marathon fair. There were 3 people lined up at 9:30, but when I got there at 10, there were about 20 people. Not too bad, but I expected less considering the day and time.

Filled out an application with questions ranging from "What celebrity do you resemble?" to "What's the most outrageous thing you have ever done". They also allowed people to draw a ball from a square box. If you pulled a stopper, you got a choice of a woman's tank top (I love Chuck), Lingo cap, or Lingo T-shirt. If you pulled a blue ball, you got to keep it and you get a bag of Friskies cat food as a consolation prize. I have a feeling this may change as once someone pulled the stopper and it was put back in, it was pretty easy to pull it back out, as there was no shuffling.

We then proceeded to take the Lingo test. I was surprised it was a 3-minute paper test. You have to correctly solve at least 5 out of 9 Lingo words. Some letters are correctly in place, some not. Once that's done, we did an interview with a director & Shandi asking us what we did for a living, what we like about our job, etc. After that, the process is over.

I'm not sure if the passing amount of 5 is set in stone as I figure if they like someone enough, they may overlook a bad score. I filled in 6 and left the rest blank, so I have little room for error. Either way, it was worth it. With the amount of time it took to process people, it's possible those who arrived late never got the chance to audition. I would expect a mob for the Philadelphia auditions considering the date, time, and location. I gather  there were probably about 200-300 people processed.

We also received word, although not confirmed, that the format of Get Schooled has been revamped. I believe they will be giving tests at Universities/City Hall's for college students only. If I had to guess, it may be because people who have won previously did not use the winnings for college. I probably would have done the same thing. If there is no rule stating that you must the winnings for college, you can't blame those for exploiting the loophole.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 10:15:04 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

dad1153

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 12:32:51 AM »
How was Shandi in person?

beatlefreak84

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 08:19:28 AM »
If there is no rule stating that you must the winnings for college, you can't blame those for exploiting the loophole.

I went to the first Get Schooled tour when it came to Illinois, and I can tell you that, no; you don't have to use the winnings for college.  What happens is the money was put in a 529 prepaid tuition plan, and, if you decide to withdraw the money without using it for college, you do pay a penalty, but you'll still have at least a few thousand left over, even after taxes.

At ours, for example, I remember sitting in the audience and watching some poor high school kids get whomped by Myron Meyer...I don't think he needed the money for college...:).

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

cmjb13

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 10:18:40 AM »
[quote name=\'dad1153\' post=\'116468\' date=\'Apr 18 2006, 12:32 AM\']How was Shandi in person?
[/quote]
Very nice. In fact, everyone running the event was nice.

[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' post=\'116480\' date=\'Apr 18 2006, 08:19 AM\']I went to the first Get Schooled tour when it came to Illinois, and I can tell you that, no; you don't have to use the winnings for college.  What happens is the money was put in a 529 prepaid tuition plan, and, if you decide to withdraw the money without using it for college, you do pay a penalty, but you'll still have at least a few thousand left over, even after taxes.
[/quote]
Understood. It seems that they want to change the rules to weed out the game show fans who probably wouldn't use the money for college. Instead of holding the event at a local mall, they want to do it at a university/city hall type event.

I would figure GSN & Bank of America wanted & assumed people's winnings would be put towards college. If this is the case, I blame the people who created the rules, rather than the people who take advantage of it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 10:22:04 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 10:54:15 AM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' post=\'116480\' date=\'Apr 18 2006, 08:19 AM\']At ours, for example, I remember sitting in the audience and watching some poor high school kids get whomped by Myron Meyer...I don't think he needed the money for college...:).[/quote]
You are incorrect.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 04:44:15 PM »
Whatever they're doing to recruit players with the ability to play the game, it's not entirely working.  On an episode I saw over the weekend, a player misspelled "TRAIN" and "RIFLE" among other words, and on at least one opportunity, began a puzzle by guessing a seven-letter word.

(The RIFLE example was particularly egregious, because he actually had two shots at it with RIF** in the correct spots and yellow balls indicating that "E" and "L" were the remaining letters.  His first guess, armed with this information, was RIFFS.)
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

sshuffield70

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 05:39:20 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'116536\' date=\'Apr 18 2006, 03:44 PM\']
Whatever they're doing to recruit players with the ability to play the game, it's not entirely working.  On an episode I saw over the weekend, a player misspelled "TRAIN" and "RIFLE" among other words, and on at least one opportunity, began a puzzle by guessing a seven-letter word.

(The RIFLE example was particularly egregious, because he actually had two shots at it with RIF** in the correct spots and yellow balls indicating that "E" and "L" were the remaining letters.  His first guess, armed with this information, was RIFFS.)
[/quote]

Yet another example (there are many) of why you go for smart, and not necessarily young.

Brakus

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 10:51:33 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'116438\' date=\'Apr 17 2006, 08:40 PM\']
Just got back from the Lingo auditions today in Boston. It was a different setup than I expected. It was a small tent outdoors as part of a Boston Marathon fair. There were 3 people lined up at 9:30, but when I got there at 10, there were about 20 people. Not too bad, but I expected less considering the day and time.
[/quote]

Yesterday I brought a fellow game show buddy with me to the King of Prussia auditions. We got there around 1:30, and there was already a long line. Considering we both attend anime conventions regularly (me more than him), the 90 minutes we waited in line didn't seem too terribly long. We chatted with the other people in the line and chatted about game shows and stuff.

Filled out an application with questions ranging from "What celebrity do you resemble?" to "What's the most outrageous thing you have ever done".

I couldn't think of anybody off the top of my head for the celebrity question... I just wrote down something like "Drew Carey". For the outrageous thing question, I said "I bet $200 on a hand of blackjack - and won."

They also allowed people to draw a ball from a square box. If you pulled a stopper, you got a choice of a woman's tank top (I love Chuck), Lingo cap, or Lingo T-shirt. If you pulled a blue ball, you got to keep it and you get a bag of Friskies cat food as a consolation prize. I have a feeling this may change as once someone pulled the stopper and it was put back in, it was pretty easy to pull it back out, as there was no shuffling.

Both me and my buddy drew red balls, so we got the tee shirt. They did shuffle the balls after each draw though.... but that didn't stop one nice young girl from still getting a red ball at the top of the box. :)

We then proceeded to take the Lingo test. I was surprised it was a 3-minute paper test. You have to correctly solve at least 5 out of 9 Lingo words. Some letters are correctly in place, some not.

I know I aced that test - I got 9 out of 10 easily.

Once that's done, we did an interview with a director & Shandi asking us what we did for a living, what we like about our job, etc. After that, the process is over.

With us, we mentioned that we'd been going to the same arcade for 4 years, and we discussed things like favorite games, popular games, consoles, home games, etc. Then Shandi asked us to name a 5-letter word starting with a particular letter. She gave us V, Y, and then X. X was particularly tough, but considering I play DDR and IIDX, I came up with "xenon" (chemical element, one of the noble gases). We got her autographed picture, then my friend got somebody to get a picture of the three of us, and then that was it.

Notwithstanding how others on this board feel about the show, it would be a great pleasure if we made it on the show.
"Whatever you do, enjoy it to the fullest. THAT is the secret of life." -- Iskandar, King of Conquerors (Fate/Zero, Fate/GO)

cmjb13

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 09:29:45 AM »
Yesterday I brought a fellow game show buddy with me to the King of Prussia auditions. We got there around 1:30, and there was already a long line.
Doesn't surprise me in the least. I'm suprised it wasn't even longer.

Both me and my buddy drew red balls, so we got the tee shirt. They did shuffle the balls after each draw though
I'm sure they gave away a lot of T-shirts in Boston, thus the change.

With us, we mentioned that we'd been going to the same arcade for 4 years, and we discussed things like favorite games, popular games, consoles, home games, etc.
When we were interviewed, we brought up how we were rollercoaster fans. I noticed how quickly they ended that conversation and moved on to something else. I was later told they already had contestants on the show who claimed to do X number of coasters in X number of days or something similar to that. They did question us on "What do you enjoy most about your job?", "What do you enjoy least about your job?". I'm thinking to myself... What does this have to do about being on a game show?

uncamark

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 03:21:39 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'117431\' date=\'May 1 2006, 08:29 AM\']
They did question us on "What do you enjoy most about your job?", "What do you enjoy least about your job?". I'm thinking to myself... What does this have to do about being on a game show?
[/quote]

Trying to draw out your personality.  Something I'd expect from a "WWTBAM" or "DOND," where contestant personality is very important, but not from a show that's very game-driven.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2006, 05:14:23 PM »
My sister and I attended the Lingo tryouts in Akron today.  It's pretty much as Chris and Jeremy said earlier except that the interviews and testing started at between 1:15 and 1:30, instead of the listed 2 PM.  We were around the 14th team interviewed, and that was done around 2:45.  Thus, sis and I guessed that they'd interview no more than 50 teams, possibly as few as 40 in the 3+ hour search.  We arrived at 11 AM, three hours before the original start time.

The case of Lingo balls was shuffled after each draw.  I told my sister about an obvious red ball at the top of the case but it was displaced by someone who obviously didn't want to give my sister a Lingo hat.  Sis got a blue ball.  I got a blue ball.  (Shut up.  Shut up.  Shut up.  Don't go there.)

I got at least 9 of 10 right on my test, with the 10th being an absolute mystery to both myself and my sister--word starts with HI, with a O and a P that doesn't belong in the 3rd position.  The only word I came up with was HIPPO...but that darn P in the 3rd slot.  Sis got at least 8 or 9.  We feel good.

The interview went well.  We were asked to come up with a word beginning with L.  Without hesitation, I shout LINGO!  Shandi got a good laugh out of that.  Hopefully that enthusiasm and quick answer will be enough to get us to LA.

Given that we were one of the few people who were dressed like we would be on Lingo, knew how to play the game adeptly, came up with good quick answers to Shandi's questions, and knew that Lingo wasn't a one-person game (multiple individuals came down but were told two people were needed for a team), I think we have a chance of going to LA.  Regardless, we both had fun, we got a signed photo of Shandi, and I got a picture with Shandi.  I couldn't think of a better way to spend a Saturday morning/early afternoon.

Steve McClellan

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2006, 05:29:15 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'May 6 2006, 02:14 PM\']
I got at least 9 of 10 right on my test, with the 10th being an absolute mystery to both myself and my sister--word starts with HI, with a O and a P that doesn't belong in the 3rd position.  The only word I came up with was HIPPO...but that darn P in the 3rd slot.[/quote]
Don't kick yourself. Per OneLook, there are no words in the English language that match those criteria.

cmjb13

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2006, 06:11:11 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' post=\'117897\' date=\'May 6 2006, 05:14 PM\']
Given that we were one of the few people who were dressed like we would be on Lingo, knew how to play the game adeptly, came up with good quick answers to Shandi's questions, and knew that Lingo wasn't a one-person game (multiple individuals came down but were told two people were needed for a team), I think we have a chance of going to LA.  Regardless, we both had fun, we got a signed photo of Shandi, and I got a picture with Shandi.  I couldn't think of a better way to spend a Saturday morning/early afternoon.
[/quote]
It's tough to determine during or after the interview if they like someone or not. For example, there are no hints or actions on behalf of Shandi or the interviewer to get a read on what they like or don't like. (Well, we know what their preference is, good looking people) I would doubt that one's chances are better the longer the interview goes.

I interviewed with someone who may or may not even be eligible. And I didn't do as well as I should have on the written test.

The Boston auditions did have people interviewing individually. They were basically told Lingo has the right to pair you up with someone else.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2006, 07:30:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' post=\'117898\' date=\'May 6 2006, 02:29 PM\']
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'May 6 2006, 02:14 PM\']
I got at least 9 of 10 right on my test, with the 10th being an absolute mystery to both myself and my sister--word starts with HI, with a O and a P that doesn't belong in the 3rd position.  The only word I came up with was HIPPO...but that darn P in the 3rd slot.[/quote]
Don't kick yourself. Per OneLook, there are no words in the English language that match those criteria.
[/quote]
I'm confused as to the state of the O. This is the puzzle as I see it, with square brackets surrounding correctly-placed letters and parens surrounding letters that are in the word, but out of position:

[H] (P) ___ ___

That said, the only two five-letter words that Lexpert returned that started with HI and also had a P in them were HIPPO and HIPPY. So I've got some questions about the puzzle, too, and I wonder if it wasn't a typo, especially because the P and O keys are next to each other on a QWERTY keyboard, and [H] (O) ___ ___ is absolutely HIPPO.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 07:30:52 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2006, 08:18:27 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'117955\' date=\'May 7 2006, 07:30 PM\']I'm confused as to the state of the O. This is the puzzle as I see it, with square brackets surrounding correctly-placed letters and parens surrounding letters that are in the word, but out of position:

[H] (P) ___ ___

That said, the only two five-letter words that Lexpert returned that started with HI and also had a P in them were HIPPO and HIPPY. So I've got some questions about the puzzle, too, and I wonder if it wasn't a typo, especially because the P and O keys are next to each other on a QWERTY keyboard, and [H] (O) ___ ___ is absolutely HIPPO.[/quote]
The first word given was HOPES, which was shown as [H] (O) (P) E S.  I don't recall the second word (HINTS or HINGE, I think) but it had [H] __ __ __.