Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New 'IGAS' A Hit...  (Read 4491 times)

dad1153

New 'IGAS' A Hit...
« on: April 24, 2006, 10:39:05 PM »
Our friend Alex reports that the new 'IGAS' on GSN has scored a Nielsen rating of 0.4 at 11:30pm during its premiere week: http://www.buzzerblog.com

Guess Rich Cronin & Co. deserve all the credit for seeing an opportunity to program rating-improving gameshows in access ('Lingo) and late-night time slots ('IGAS '06').  Now if they could only do something about that sinking primetime schedule!  Anne Robinson's 'Weakest Link' is back on at 10PM three days a week (again!), so GSN primetime remains a wastelands of rerun-abused regulars until further notice.  And oh yeah, classic 'IGAS' is still MIA!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 10:40:27 PM by dad1153 »

Matt Ottinger

New 'IGAS' A Hit...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 12:24:51 AM »
[quote name=\'dad1153\' post=\'116932\' date=\'Apr 24 2006, 10:39 PM\']
And oh yeah, classic 'IGAS' is still MIA![/quote]
And likely to remain that way, I fear.  That is the bitter disappointment to me in all this.  The new version is wonderful; I'm enjoying it more every day.  I'm also, naturally, thrilled for GSN to have a modest hit on their hands, especially with a traditional panel format that everybody thought was dead.  Still, it seems a shame, in the middle of having this great panel-show success, that they choose this time to drop the classic show from the schedule.  (Can WML? be far behind?)  I've always considered the B&WO hour a gift, but it still hurts to see that gift taken away, especially when their current success owes so much to those original shows.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

cmjb13

New 'IGAS' A Hit...
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 08:29:23 AM »
This may be stretching a bit, but...

How much influence, if any, do you think the success of the WML? stage show had on IGAS?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Matt Ottinger

New 'IGAS' A Hit...
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 10:32:46 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'116944\' date=\'Apr 25 2006, 08:29 AM\']How much influence, if any, do you think the success of the WML? stage show had on IGAS?[/quote]
Awfully hard to say, but you have to think that the IGAS producers were at least aware of the stage show. Can't help but think that at some point along the line, there was some note-taking going on.  The IGAS producers wisely avoided going completely retro, which works for the stage show but would probably come across a little too kitschy on TV.

DrBear

New 'IGAS' A Hit...
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 11:16:04 AM »
Which leads to the obvious question:
Might we see a WML? revival on GSN?
And if so, would it be the J. Keith stage version, or similar to IGAS '06 (retro look but not completely a throwback)

(Lloydbridges)Looks like I picked the wrong week to give up digital cable(/Lloydbridges)
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
New 'IGAS' A Hit...
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 11:42:40 AM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'116953\' date=\'Apr 25 2006, 08:16 AM\']
Which leads to the obvious question:
Might we see a WML? revival on GSN?
And if so, would it be the J. Keith stage version, or similar to IGAS '06 (retro look but not completely a throwback)
[/quote]
I would say that if this continues to be successful (aside from the novelty of being a new show), and J. Keith isn't sending in a resume tape of the WML? stage show, he's not thinking. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
New 'IGAS' A Hit...
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 03:04:57 PM »
I would say that if this continues to be successful (aside from the novelty of being a new show), and J. Keith isn't sending in a resume tape of the WML? stage show, he's not thinking. :)
Before you make that statement, you need to see the WML? stage show.

Matt Ottinger

New 'IGAS' A Hit...
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 03:41:00 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'116954\' date=\'Apr 25 2006, 11:42 AM\']I would say that if this continues to be successful (aside from the novelty of being a new show), and J. Keith isn't sending in a resume tape of the WML? stage show, he's not thinking. :)[/quote]
There seems to be some question as to who, precisely, controls the rights to make a new version of WML?.  Specifically, CBS figures into it somehow.  There's also the question of how a new version of WML? would be significantly different enough from IGAS to warrant GSN producing two such similar properties.  (Step one:  Base it in NYC.  Just in case anyone's listening.)

clemon79

New 'IGAS' A Hit...
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 03:47:03 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'116967\' date=\'Apr 25 2006, 12:04 PM\']
Before you make that statement, you need to see the WML? stage show.
[/quote]
Oh? All reports have indicated that it's very well done and looks very professional. Not true?

Neumms

New 'IGAS' A Hit...
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 12:20:00 AM »
If they brought back another panel show, could they find four more good gay panelists? Just kidding.

I, too, love the new show and am saddened they need to take the B&W Overnight slot for the re-airings of the new one. Stick those in the morning, and if the b&w shows are losing steam, make it Old But in Color Overnight and show the syndicated runs of the panel shows.

uncamark

New 'IGAS' A Hit...
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 05:22:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'117105\' date=\'Apr 26 2006, 11:20 PM\']
If they brought back another panel show, could they find four more good gay panelists? Just kidding.

I, too, love the new show and am saddened they need to take the B&W Overnight slot for the re-airings of the new one. Stick those in the morning, and if the b&w shows are losing steam, make it Old But in Color Overnight and show the syndicated runs of the panel shows.
[/quote]

I was awake last night at 2 a.m. and watched the new "IGAS."  For the most part, I liked what I saw.  Both the panelists, Bil and Burt Dubrow as producer seem to be getting what made "IGAS" work, but are doing it for 2006 and late-night TV.  It's definitely better than the misguided Oxygen version.  Yes, it pales a little next to Mr. Daly and the "WML?" gang right after it in that time slot, but it still holds up on its own.

Sorry, Steve, but "IGAS" was never Wholesome Family Entertainment that the AFA could love--it was a program of relatively sophisticated adults doing adult things in the old sense, including being mildly risque every so often.  It's just that today's "mildly risque" is a little different--and nothing I saw last night offended my sensibilities.  (And Billy wasn't asking "is it sexual?" on every spot.)  This version stays in the tradition--and made the smart move of not making a big deal of an all-gay panel (since "Queer Eye" isn't the sensation it was when this was first floated to GSN).  The audience may be hooting a little too often and I'd rather hear a more extended buzzer than a "buzz-buzz," but that's nit-picking.  All in all, a diverting little entertainment and I hope it continues to do well for GSN.

And any GSN shows that play the credits over the wrap-up gets my vote.  :)

clemon79

New 'IGAS' A Hit...
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 05:36:34 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'117194\' date=\'Apr 27 2006, 02:22 PM\']
when this was first floated to GSN)
[/quote]
As it were. ;)

Adam Nedeff

New 'IGAS' A Hit...
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 10:50:46 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'117194\' date=\'Apr 27 2006, 05:22 PM\']
Sorry, Steve, but "IGAS" was never Wholesome Family Entertainment that the AFA could love--it was a program of relatively sophisticated adults doing adult things in the old sense, including being mildly risque every so often.  It's just that today's "mildly risque" is a little different--and nothing I saw last night offended my sensibilities.  (And Billy wasn't asking "is it sexual?" on every spot.)
[/quote]

Thank you, someone ELSE feels this way!

I've been watching the backlog of IGAS that I've been recording while out of the house and I can finally throw my two cents in. I was actually astonished at how traditional the game felt. The 90s version felt mutilated, but this version, to me, actually felt like I was watching IGAS. And as far as the breaking-pencils-with-buttocks thing that got the Perfesser's blood boiling...well, anybody here is totally welcome to argue with me, but I sat there thinking, "You know, if they could have gotten away with it back then, this would have been a secret on the old show." Even being risque, it seemed to have the sensibility of the old show. Thumbs up.