Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: LINGO Contestant line  (Read 9868 times)

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
LINGO Contestant line
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2003, 05:09:20 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Aug 29 2003, 01:38 PM\']Was the 18-32 rule the same way in the last season? If not, then I have no problem with the change: RC said in an interview with Steve that he wanted to change the show to make it more \"18-34\"-ish for this season, and if that's the biggest change that they're making, fine by me.[/quote]
Wait until you're 35 and see if you feel the same way.  Seriously.  Every age group feels a sense of outrage when they're excluded from something due to their age.  I remember when the drinking laws were upping the minimum age to 21, and my slightly younger peers were seriously pissed and talking about how they were gonna start driving to the next state over.  (Of course, even that doesn't work now)
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

cmjb13

LINGO Contestant line
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2003, 06:06:55 PM »
You know this age thing got me thinking...

When I was in college, I took a business law class and recall something interesting.

There is a law where a business cannot be sued if they are looking/hiring for a position that is specific for that business. For example, if a TV studio is shooting a commercial looking for a male lifeguard, a female applying for the position and turned down for it, cannot sue (well she can, but she won't win). I believe it has to be specifically stated up front.

For those who know law better than me, feel free to correct me.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
LINGO Contestant line
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2003, 07:14:42 PM »
Which is where the \"guaranteed compensation\" line from the ad comes in, I guess.  Pay everyone scale and suddenly it's not a game show; instead, it's acting.

Of course, when it's not a game show, all sorts of other interesting questions creep in, but we'll leave that for later.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Jimmy Owen

LINGO Contestant line
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2003, 07:30:40 PM »
I've never seriously considered trying out to be a contestant for a game show.  My career goal was to become a host, so, Mike Reilly, Frank Nicotero and Mark DeCarlo notwithstanding, I didn't think becoming a contestant would help me in my quest to reach my goal.  By their specifications, though, I am ten years too old to be on \"Lingo,\" even if I were gorgeous.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

leszekp

LINGO Contestant line
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2003, 11:44:38 PM »
A bunch of people have already commented about how the highest-rated game show in recent history (Millionaire) achieved those ratings without screening contestants for looks or telegenicity. I suspect game shows \"cast\" contestants because it gives them the opportunity to take credit when a show is successful (\"it's a hit because we know how to pick contestants\"). Odd that no one uses the opposite argument (\"it's a flop because we don't know how to pick contestants\"). The game is the principal factor in determining success or failure, but in Millionaire's case it's clear that the lack of contestant casting wasn't a detriment; if anything, it helped give the show an \"everyman\" appeal. If \"The People's Quiz\" ever makes it to the air and succeeds, maybe that will change some minds - but I doubt it.

It's also worth noting that there's absolutely no evidence whatsoever that the 18-49 demographic is really all that valuable. Yes, advertisers currently believe that, and networks plug that idea, but there's never really been any solid proof for that. There was a great article in the NY Times Magazine about this last year (10/13/2002), which you can read online if you cough up a few bucks:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html...DA90994DA404482

The upshot of the article was that younger people have less money to spend than advertisers believe, they are less malleable to brand loyalty than generally thought, and don't really pay that close attention to commercials. Older age groups, conversely, have more discretionary money than generally thought, are willing to spend it, and can be influenced by commercials, and yet only 10% of advertising dollars are aimed at 50%+ of discretionary income.