Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WOF 90s Arcade Game  (Read 2573 times)

Jeremy Nelson

WOF 90s Arcade Game
« on: April 30, 2006, 10:17:01 PM »
I remember (1) The actual arcade game in 1989, (2) A ticket machine in the late 90s/early 2000s with a light surrounding a wheel replica, and (3) The coin pusher which was supposed to be released in 04/05, but I've never seen in arcades

But the one I'm having trouble rembering was a ticket machine in the early/mid 90s. If I remember correctly (excuse me for my crude explanation), it was made up of 3 units, one for each player. You inserted a coin, which went down a slide. When it got to the bottom of the slide, it stopped a light wheel in the middle of the display, which designated the number of tickets you won. There was also a space which lit up the missing letters in the word "Jackpot". If you "solved the puzzle", you won bonus tickets.

Does anybody remember this machine and can fill in any other details? I vaguely remember playing this machine as a kid (at Hollywood Park in Crestwood, IL, for the reference of any Chicagoans).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 10:40:37 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

WOF 90s Arcade Game
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 10:36:01 PM »
The mid-90s game, from what I remember, was set up slightly like an inverted skee-ball machine, with a plexiglass board covering the horizontal ramp. You put the coin in, and a blue rubber ball (heh-heh*blueballs*heh), and you rolled it down the horizontal ramp (declining ramp, instead of inclining a la skee-ball).

At the end of the ramp were 6-8 slots (honestly don't remember-it's been at least a decade since I've seen this), such as move left 1 space, move right 3 spaces, lose a turn, etc. If it was a move left/right, then the wheel turned said number of spaces. There was a way to win a banked number of tickets, but I don't exactly remember, but your JACKPOT description seems vaguely familiar.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Jeremy Nelson

WOF 90s Arcade Game
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 10:39:40 PM »
No, I'm sure that's not it. The game i'm referring to was a licensed WOF game. The game you're referring to was a generic knockoff called Spin to Win. I blew a lot of money on that one, too.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

WOF 90s Arcade Game
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 10:45:22 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'117399\' date=\'Apr 30 2006, 10:39 PM\']
No, I'm sure that's not it. The game i'm referring to was a licensed WOF game. The game you're referring to was a generic knockoff called Spin to Win. I blew a lot of money on that one, too.
[/quote]
Interesting...the thing is, I do remember the Wheel game you're referring to, as well as Spin to Win, but my memory is so faded I can't remember the specifics on the WoF game. :-/
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Jeremy Nelson

WOF 90s Arcade Game
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 10:57:42 PM »
The funny thing is that I can find pictures of the other 3 games, but not this one.

catkins522

WOF 90s Arcade Game
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 12:34:41 AM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'117399\' date=\'Apr 30 2006, 10:39 PM\']
[/quote]

The question is...can I buy it?  

Charles
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

catkins522

WOF 90s Arcade Game
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 12:38:04 AM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'117401\' date=\'Apr 30 2006, 10:57 PM\']
The funny thing is that I can find pictures of the other 3 games, but not this one.
[/quote]

Does this help?

Charles
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
WOF 90s Arcade Game
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 04:02:50 AM »
OK...

The "Spin to Win" game had something called "Bonus Jackpot" on the wheel.  If your spins ended on that space a fixed number of times (our local arcade had it set at "3"), then you hit the jackpot.  I hit a couple of jackpots over 2,500 in tickets.

The coin pusher game is very similar to the "Jungle Jive" machines, from what I can recall.  There's some kind of bonus, but what it is isn't familiar.

I seem to recall the ticket machine either involved rolling balls, or it involved stopping a light running around a wheel.

I'm going to the local arcade in the next week--I'll give a full update on the coin pusher.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jeremy Nelson

WOF 90s Arcade Game
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 10:40:38 AM »
I finally found a pic. It's quite small, but it serves its purpose. Hopefully somebody remembers this machine
http://i1.pigtures.com/1064909368.ow.jpg
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 10:43:32 AM by rollercoaster87 »

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
WOF 90s Arcade Game
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 11:42:08 AM »
Cedar Point still has them, but they removed the branding. Just insert a coin and watch it roll to the end where it stops a wheel from spinning and win whatever it lands on. Basically the timing relies on when you insert the coin, rather than anything that happens after. You, or somebody else, already mentioned the bonus of finishing the word "JACKPOT."

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Matt Ottinger

WOF 90s Arcade Game
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 11:56:34 AM »
[quote name=\'catkins522\' post=\'117413\' date=\'May 1 2006, 12:38 AM\']Does this help?[/quote]
Buyer pays ELEVEN DOLLARS shipping for a few sheets of paper?  Gotta love Ebay.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
WOF 90s Arcade Game
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 03:40:09 PM »
I remember it!

There were indeed 3 sections: red, blue, and yellow.

The wheel had 12 spaces, like "0 Tickets", "5 Tickets", "50 Tickets", "20 Tickets", "10 Tickets", but there were others like "Free Spin" (which, ironically, gave you a free spin; go figure) and "Buy A Vowel", which would fill in a letter of the puzzle (which was JACKPOT, being that the Jackpot space was just coming into vogue when this machine was released; probably about 1995 or 1996). The JACKPOT space revealed the entire puzzle and rewarded the lucky player with a jackpot of tickets, which started at 100 and went up 1 for each unsuccessful play.

The machine was one of those ones where you put a coin in and watch it slide down a skinny tube into the wheel, stopping it at whaveter space it entered.

I remember winning 350 tickets on this game when I was little.

I thought I was the only one who remembered it!
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

pyl85

WOF 90s Arcade Game
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2006, 12:57:10 AM »
I think there was another WOF-branded arcade game. It was dome-shaped with 3 "stations" you could play at. There was a light that traveled "chase-style" around a circle, you pressed a button to stop the light. If you timed it right (stopped the light in the designated area) the wheel would spin and award whatever ticket amount (usually in the 100's) it stopped on.

Here's info on the generic game, but I seem to remember a WOF one.
http://www.highway.net.au/parts/redemption...hines/4883.html

EDIT:
It looks like they are calling it "Wheel-a-Win" now, but I could have sworn that I've seen it called WOF.
http://www.namco.co.uk/Namco%20new/Page%20...elty%20page.htm
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 01:01:25 AM by pyl85 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
WOF 90s Arcade Game
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2006, 01:09:16 AM »
[quote name=\'pyl85\' post=\'117498\' date=\'May 1 2006, 09:57 PM\']
EDIT:
It looks like they are calling it "Wheel-a-Win" now, but I could have sworn that I've seen it called WOF.
http://www.namco.co.uk/Namco%20new/Page%20...elty%20page.htm
[/quote]
There's about 400 different flavors of the game you describe, but I can confirm that there was a Wheel Of Fortune-branded one, we had one at an arcade here in Seattle.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe