Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "People Pickers"  (Read 5452 times)

Jimmy Owen

"People Pickers"
« on: May 02, 2006, 12:26:39 PM »
I know many of you have the theme to "People Pickers" on your Chuck Barris CD, so you might be interested to know that the show did air on KGO-TV, Channel 7 in San Francisco.  

I have a TV Guide listing for 10:30pm 2/13/65 which says: "Host Jim Lange introduces two celebrity panelists who attempt to guess the professions of 16 guests by their appearance."

This is the only occurance of the show I can find, so it may have been an aired pilot.  The time slot was filled by "Oh My Word!" by March 65.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

"People Pickers"
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 12:36:39 PM »
I know many of you have the theme to "People Pickers" on your Chuck Barris CD, so you might be interested to know that the show did air on KGO-TV, Channel 7 in San Francisco.

Thanks for the info.  I wonder if the show actually used the theme that matches up to it on the CD.  GSN aired a few of those Barris pilots in an unsold pilot marathon (can't remember exactly what they called it), and I noticed a few of those themes on the CD were not the ones actually used.

Who knows...maybe they intended to use them and found something they liked better at the last minute...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

uncamark

"People Pickers"
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 03:48:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'117524\' date=\'May 2 2006, 11:36 AM\']

Thanks for the info.  I wonder if the show actually used the theme that matches up to it on the CD.  GSN aired a few of those Barris pilots in an unsold pilot marathon (can't remember exactly what they called it), and I noticed a few of those themes on the CD were not the ones actually used.

Who knows...maybe they intended to use them and found something they liked better at the last minute...
[/quote]

Considering that some of those alleged themes didn't match up to my memories ("Dream Girl"'s actual theme was Percy Faith's theme music from the film "The Oscar"), I'm pretty sure that after deciding to record a bunch of cues for his shows because he was going into syndication and didn't want to pay the music clearance money that ABC was doing for him, he just decided to commercially release them as a lark, even if they mostly ended up in radio station production rooms and cut-out bins (where I got my copy).  And whether they actually were show themes or not, well, Chuckie Baby always liked to put us on, didn't he?

Now it's not to say that some records weren't sold or given actual airplay--in the mid-70s, when Chicago's WCLR was transitioning from elevator music to MOR to adult contemporary, they still played a good number of instrumentals (although not the more Muzaky ones) and I actually heard the "Treasure Hunt" win/closing theme once--identified as "'True Grit' by the Chuck Barris Orchestra," IIRC.

Ian Wallis

"People Pickers"
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 04:14:52 PM »
Now it's not to say that some records weren't sold or given actual airplay--in the mid-70s, when Chicago's WCLR was transitioning from elevator music to MOR to adult contemporary, they still played a good number of instrumentals (although not the more Muzaky ones) and I actually heard the "Treasure Hunt" win/closing theme once--identified as "'True Grit' by the Chuck Barris Orchestra," IIRC.

I remember watching the "Phil Donahue Show" (...yes, I had a weak moment...) in early 1982 and they had a special show on how to become a game show contestant.  I believe the guest's name was Mark Richards.  During bumpers and commercial outros during the show they used Barris pieces.  I guess Richards must have had a copy of the album!  (I got mine on CD in the late '90s).
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

mmb5

"People Pickers"
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 04:42:19 PM »
A quick look on my favorite website in the whole wide world pegs People Pickers premiere precisely on Saturday 13-Feb-1965.  Oh My Word premiered one month later.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

sshuffield70

"People Pickers"
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 05:57:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'117609\' date=\'May 3 2006, 03:14 PM\']
I remember watching the "Phil Donahue Show" (...yes, I had a weak moment...) in early 1982 and they had a special show on how to become a game show contestant.  I believe the guest's name was Mark Richards.  During bumpers and commercial outros during the show they used Barris pieces.  I guess Richards must have had a copy of the album!  (I got mine on CD in the late '90s).
[/quote]

Seems to me this would dovetail with the early stages of Starcade.  Same guy?

Jimmy Owen

"People Pickers"
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 06:01:35 PM »
At the same time of "People Pickers," Jim Lange was also the announcer on Ernie Ford's ABC daytime series "Hello, Peapickers," so maybe there was a connection?

Coincidence: Both Phil Donahue and Chuck Barris used music by Herb Alpert on their shows.

tyshaun1

"People Pickers"
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 06:08:48 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' post=\'117617\' date=\'May 3 2006, 05:57 PM\']
[/quote]

Yep. James Caruso saw him on Donahue and invited him up for a tryout, right after they got rid of Alex Trebek. What James saw in him, I'll never know.

Tyshaun

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
"People Pickers"
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 07:20:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'117522\' date=\'May 2 2006, 09:26 AM\']

I have a TV Guide listing for 10:30pm 2/13/65 which says: "Host Jim Lange introduces two celebrity panelists who attempt to guess the professions of 16 guests by their appearance."

This is the only occurance of the show I can find, so it may have been an aired pilot.  The time slot was filled by "Oh My Word!" by March 65.
[/quote]
I lived in the bay area in 1965 and have no recollection of this show. I suspect it is either an erroneous TV Guide listing or an aired pilot. I do remember Oh My Word and The Anniversary Game.

zachhoran

"People Pickers"
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 09:18:20 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' post=\'117617\' date=\'May 3 2006, 05:57 PM\']
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'117609\' date=\'May 3 2006, 03:14 PM\']
[/quote]

[/quote]

http://www.viewnews.com/2002/VIEW-Jul-12-F...n/19142151.html is a link to a bio and interview with Richards. While the Donahue gig is mentioned, Starcade is not. Ergo, they may not be the same guy, as they'd have mentioned Starcade since they mentioned TNN's short-lived late-night game show-home shopping(the game show portion, Money Mania, was profiled in TV Game Show Magazine in the February 1987 issue)

Jimmy Owen

"People Pickers"
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 09:47:34 PM »
It's the same Mark Richards.

tyshaun1

"People Pickers"
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 09:53:56 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' post=\'117632\' date=\'May 3 2006, 09:18 PM\']
http://www.viewnews.com/2002/VIEW-Jul-12-F...n/19142151.html is a link to a bio and interview with Richards. While the Donahue gig is mentioned, Starcade is not. Ergo, they may not be the same guy, as they'd have mentioned Starcade since they mentioned TNN's short-lived late-night game show-home shopping(the game show portion, Money Mania, was profiled in TV Game Show Magazine in the February 1987 issue)
[/quote]

Ummm.... Zach, thanks for the useless info, but trust me....... it's him.

Tyshaun

BrandonFG

"People Pickers"
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 10:34:44 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' post=\'117636\' date=\'May 3 2006, 09:53 PM\']
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' post=\'117632\' date=\'May 3 2006, 09:18 PM\']
[/quote]

Ummm.... Zach, thanks for the useless info, but trust me....... it's him.
[/quote]
Dammit, if Zach says it might not have been Mark, then I say it wasn't him! :-P

/JOKE
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
"People Pickers"
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 10:54:37 PM »
At the same time of "People Pickers," Jim Lange was also the announcer on Ernie Ford's ABC daytime series "Hello, Peapickers," so maybe there was a connection?
Um, they both end in "pickers"?

This is a pilot Barris did where the celebrity players were supposed to pick out the doctor, lawyer, baker, etc. from a group of 16 people. How I know about this show or where I read about it I cannot recall.

Jimmy Owen

"People Pickers"
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 11:27:41 PM »
I was just wondering if the Ernie Ford show might have had elements similiar to "House Party," little games to fill time, etc.  All I remember of that show is that Ernie would sing a hymn near the end.