Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Let the copycatting begin....  (Read 4118 times)

Brandon Brooks

Let the copycatting begin....
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2006, 01:12:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'117593\' date=\'May 3 2006, 11:53 AM\']
Is there a Mr. Endemol?
[/quote]
No, but there's a guy named "Ende" and one named "Mol."  And ironically/coincidentially/shockingly, they own Endemol.

Brandon Brooks

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2006, 01:13:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'117593\' date=\'May 3 2006, 09:53 AM\']
Is there a Mr. Endemol?
[/quote]
Since the company was born from a merger between Joop van den Ende and John de Mol, the answer is: pretty much, yeah.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 01:15:02 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2006, 01:54:33 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'117596\' date=\'May 3 2006, 01:13 PM\']Since the company was born from a merger between Joop van den Ende and John de Mol, the answer is: pretty much, yeah.[/quote]
So, do we know which one's "Goodson" in this partnership, and which one's just signing (and cashing) the checks?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Brig Bother

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2006, 01:56:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'117597\' date=\'May 3 2006, 06:54 PM\']
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'117596\' date=\'May 3 2006, 01:13 PM\']Since the company was born from a merger between Joop van den Ende and John de Mol, the answer is: pretty much, yeah.[/quote]
So, do we know which one's "Goodson" in this partnership, and which one's just signing (and cashing) the checks?
[/quote]

Well John de Mol cashed his stake of the company in last year, so I suspect it's not him.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2006, 02:18:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'117597\' date=\'May 3 2006, 10:54 AM\']
[/quote]
According to Wiki, the whole kit and caboodle was sold off to Telefonica in 2000, and de Mol left as creative director in 2004, so I'm guessing both of them are caching checks. But it sounds like Ende played the role of the bitch more of the time. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2006, 02:59:15 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'117599\' date=\'May 3 2006, 01:18 PM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'117597\' date=\'May 3 2006, 10:54 AM\']
[/quote]
According to Wiki, the whole kit and caboodle was sold off to Telefonica in 2000, and de Mol left as creative director in 2004, so I'm guessing both of them are caching checks. But it sounds like Ende played the role of the bitch more of the time. :)
[/quote]

Ende also seemed to have a greater interest in non-television projects like theatrical production, which I believe he is currently involved in (it also seems to me that he may have a show on Broadway right now).

And it bears to point out that Endemol's been doing game show formats in its native Europe for years--many of them licenses of U.S. and other formats.  They got into reality in the U.S. because that's what they could sell.

For our British friends--before Bazal was acquired by Endemol, were they much of a game show company beyond "Ready...Steady...Cook!" or were most of what they did more lifestyle things like "Changing Rooms?"

weaklink75

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2006, 01:04:58 PM »
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 01:06:32 PM by weaklink75 »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2006, 02:12:18 PM »
[quote name=\'weaklink75\' post=\'117817\' date=\'May 5 2006, 01:04 PM\']
ABC looks like they're getting "Con"ned...[/quote]
"The project is described as a question-and-answer game show with a twist"

So was Jeopardy, originally.

I really don't see why the success of DoND is inspiring networks to conser more question and answer games, but I'm not complaining!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2006, 02:44:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'117832\' date=\'May 5 2006, 01:12 PM\']
[quote name=\'weaklink75\' post=\'117817\' date=\'May 5 2006, 01:04 PM\']
ABC looks like they're getting "Con"ned...[/quote]
"The project is described as a question-and-answer game show with a twist"

So was Jeopardy, originally.

I really don't see why the success of DoND is inspiring networks to conser more question and answer games, but I'm not complaining!
[/quote]

Aside from Fremantle leaning really heavy on ABC, could there be a connection in the that "Con Test" will be known as "Ant and Dec's Con Test" in its own country?  These are the guys who hosted the original versions of "Idol" and "Game Show Marathon" (and I think I saw somewhere that this show is their own concept, if owing something to "Squares" and "The Better Sex").

Of course, I would think that they would see if the show did well on its home country before selling it off elsewhere.

One wonders if someone will bring to the U.S. "Saturday Night Takeaway" (unless the failure of "My Kind of Town" shut the door on loose-formatted audience participation shows).

tvwxman

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2006, 02:54:36 PM »
Ant and Dec are great presenters. They handle a variety of formats with ease. I downloaded a great doc on them the other day, and was surprised to know that in their young age of the low 30s, they've already been given lifetime achievement awards for their work, which dates back to a teen drama in the late 80s...

Ryan and Brian were originally supposed to duplicate the Antan Dec success. It only half worked.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Brig Bother

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2006, 05:42:56 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'117600\' date=\'May 3 2006, 07:59 PM\']
For our British friends--before Bazal was acquired by Endemol, were they much of a game show company beyond "Ready...Steady...Cook!" or were most of what they did more lifestyle things like "Changing Rooms?"
[/quote]

Perhaps surprisingly (or perhaps not), no they weren't - Ready Steady Cook is the only one I can think of, they were mainly (indeed)  a company that dealt in lifestyle shows.

And then Big Brother happened.

Anything starring Ant and Dec is pretty much guaranteed a large audience over here - they're pretty much the only stars that can do such a thing at the moment. And quite right too.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 05:43:21 PM by Brig Bother »