Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Max Kalehoff's blog  (Read 3275 times)

robsearson

Max Kalehoff's blog
« on: May 05, 2006, 09:59:59 PM »
Scroll about halfway down, look for the heading "Edd Kalehoff Makes Love To The Moog Synthesizer".

http://attentionmax.com/blog/things_personal/

dale_grass

Max Kalehoff's blog
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 12:17:00 AM »
Very neat video.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Max Kalehoff's blog
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 04:00:02 AM »
Be sure to click on "View other videos by maxkalehoff" and check out Pool Orgy!. It is totally G rated, basically Max with a camcorder introducing his friends at a pool party. But man, what a dynamite musical score it has! I wonder who the talented composer/arranger was?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 04:04:16 AM by chris319 »

WhammyPower

Max Kalehoff's blog
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 01:15:03 PM »
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 01:19:27 PM by WhammyPower »

Gus

Max Kalehoff's blog
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 01:18:14 AM »
Wow. Listening to that commercial at the end of the video the first time through, I laughed to myself because the style was unmistakeably his. The second time through, I kinda half-seriously wondered if the song was recorded in the same session as the Tattletales theme; the style and the instrumentation sound almost identical, and it sounds like he could have gone right from one song to the other without changing the settings on the synth, that is, it's producing the same type of sound.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Max Kalehoff's blog
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 06:58:28 AM »
The second time through, I kinda half-seriously wondered if the song was recorded in the same session as the Tattletales theme; the style and the instrumentation sound almost identical, and it sounds like he could have gone right from one song to the other without changing the settings on the synth, that is, it's producing the same type of sound.
Huh? The Tattletales music has guitars, a harp and a string section. The Schaefer Beer spot sounds a lot more like the Concentration music but with glockenspiel instead of bass guitar. On the Schaefer spot he had a MOOG-generated rhythm track under the melody. Part of the challenge for MOOG musicians was proving it could make more than beep and boop sounds.

(At about :23 into Tattletales you really hear the string section. At about :37 there is a harp gliss. Like the TPIR theme, the harp got buried in the mix.)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 07:19:36 AM by chris319 »

mmb5

Max Kalehoff's blog
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 07:40:51 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'117977\' date=\'May 8 2006, 06:58 AM\']
Huh? The Tattletales music has guitars, a harp and a string section. The Schaefer Beer spot sounds a lot more like the Concentration music but with glockenspiel instead of bass guitar. On the Schaefer spot he had a MOOG-generated rhythm track under the melody. Part of the challenge for MOOG musicians was proving it could make more than beep and boop sounds.

(At about :23 into Tattletales you really hear the string section. At about :37 there is a harp gliss. Like the TPIR theme, the harp got buried in the mix.)
[/quote]
The Concentration theme also has to have real drums.  Synth percussion didn't sound that good in 1973.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Clay Zambo

Max Kalehoff's blog
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 02:55:30 PM »
The thing that struck me about this clip was hearing Bob Moog pronounce Edd's name.  Kale-hoff?  I guess I've been thinking all these years it was "Ka-leh-hoff."  Anybody know for sure?
czambo@mac.com

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
Max Kalehoff's blog
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 03:07:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'117991\' date=\'May 8 2006, 01:55 PM\']
The thing that struck me about this clip was hearing Bob Moog pronounce Edd's name.  Kale-hoff?  I guess I've been thinking all these years it was "Ka-leh-hoff."  Anybody know for sure?
[/quote]

Bob's right.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

uncamark

Max Kalehoff's blog
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 03:09:50 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'117991\' date=\'May 8 2006, 01:55 PM\']
[/quote]

I've always heard "Kale-hoff," including his appearances on fX (where his music was used for all of the "TV Made Fresh Daily") and performing the theme of the short-lived "Arts & Entertainment Revue" (A&E's attempt at a classier "ET") on-set with Grover Washington, Jr. (the credit for the recorded version of the theme was "Theme music by Edd Kalehoff featuring Grover Washington, Jr.").

FeudDude

Max Kalehoff's blog
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 04:58:21 PM »
I've never even heard his name pronounced, but I always assumed it was "Kale-hoff".

Gus

Max Kalehoff's blog
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006, 05:37:00 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'117977\' date=\'May 8 2006, 06:58 AM\']
Huh? The Tattletales music has guitars, a harp and a string section. The Schaefer Beer spot sounds a lot more like the Concentration music but with glockenspiel instead of bass guitar.
[/quote]

Erm, yeah. I think I was playing the Concentration 70's theme in my mind, but it somehow ended up typed as Tattletales. They all kinda mixed together in my brain. Plus it was late at night, and I'm all muddled then anyway.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 05:38:00 PM by Gus »