Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: If/When "Lingo" Comes To Your Fair City...  (Read 2481 times)

TimK2003

If/When "Lingo" Comes To Your Fair City...
« on: May 07, 2006, 05:41:16 PM »
Over the weekend, I had the chance to attend the "Lingo" auditions held in nearby Akron, OH.  Unfortunately, I missed the line cut-off time by less than 15 minutes (more on that later). But for those of you who may be interested in future audition stops (Dallas is next Saturday), here is what to expect.

As far as the Akron auditions, they were held in Summit Mall's Center Court from 2-5PM.  Due to a prior engagement, I arrived shortly after 3:30 and was told I missed the cut off by about 10 minutes.  

ADVISORY #1 -- Get there 1 to 2 hours before the start time at least!!

Unlike the DoND tryouts a few months back in Cleveland, it looked like there were about 150-200 people in line versus 1200.  The only local sponsorship was Time-Warner Cable, and outside of promotional commercials scattered about their cable channel line-up, I didn't seem to see any other press on the event.

From my viewpoint, it looked as though you filled out the standard application, and took it with you in line until you get to the interview at the front of the line (since I was late, I couldn't tell if there were sample Lingo puzzles on the apps or not).

Anyhoo, at the front of the line you stand in front of a giant Lingo banner with either the person you hope will be your partner or another singleton for a videotaped audition.

ADVISORY #2 -- Bring your camera, video camera, etc...!!!

At first glance, it looked like the interview was being conducted by a contestant coordinator from GSN sitting in a director's chair wearing casual khakis and a print shirt.  Upon a further look-see, you get to be interviewed by none other than psychology major and co-host SHANDI!!!

ADVISORY #3 -- You may need to make a stop at BB&B before the interview :-)
ADVISORY #4 -- Do not HAVE a BB&B moment during the interview!

She looks a heck of a lot different in person (and a little thinner as well).  She would spend a minute or two asking the usual audition questions, then shake hands and pose for pictures with the interviewees.  She was also signing the promo cards, GSN balloons, and whatever else worthy of her signature.  She was very down to earth and friendly.

I didn't see any formal game being played anywhere in the center court, so my guess is that they looked over the apps and the video and were planning to have a second interview/mock game the next day, but this is based on what I could see and hear from 50 feet away.  At least my cat's are happy -- they got a couple of 4 ounce bags of Purina Cat Chow out of the deal!

All in all, it was your run of the mill contestant cattle call, except for the fact that if you get in line in time, you do get to see and talk to Shandi. And it looked like you also get to take home a genuine GSN blue Lingo ball, though some might have taken home more than one!

So for those going to Stonebriar Centre in Dallas on the 13th, you have been forewarned!!!

And wouldn't you know, I'll be in Dallas on Saturday Afternoon...only changing planes at DFW, :-(

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 07:00:49 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'117948\' date=\'May 7 2006, 05:41 PM\']
Over the weekend, I had the chance to attend the "Lingo" auditions held in nearby Akron, OH.  Unfortunately, I missed the line cut-off time by less than 15 minutes (more on that later). But for those of you who may be interested in future audition stops (Dallas is next Saturday), here is what to expect.

As far as the Akron auditions, they were held in Summit Mall's Center Court from 2-5PM.  Due to a prior engagement, I arrived shortly after 3:30 and was told I missed the cut off by about 10 minutes.[/quote]
Ten minutes?!  The line wrapped around the long side of the center court and back, and the cutoff was at 3:30?!  My sister and I were done with the interviews and audition at 2:40.  We were both surprised they weren't turning back anybody at that time.

ADVISORY #1 -- Get there 1 to 2 hours before the start time at least!!
Take it from me, 3 hours before the start gets you in for sure.  The line started growing fast even two hours before the start.  Even with interviews starting at about 1:20 PM instead of 2 PM, I think some people who waited 90 mins. to 2 hours got shut out.

ADVISORY #2 -- Bring your camera, video camera, etc...!!!

At first glance, it looked like the interview was being conducted by a contestant coordinator from GSN sitting in a director's chair wearing casual khakis and a print shirt.  Upon a further look-see, you get to be interviewed by none other than psychology major and co-host SHANDI!!!

She looks a heck of a lot different in person (and a little thinner as well).  She would spend a minute or two asking the usual audition questions, then shake hands and pose for pictures with the interviewees.  She was also signing the promo cards, GSN balloons, and whatever else worthy of her signature.  She was very down to earth and friendly.
Every team got a personalized 8x10 of Shandi and if you asked, you could get your picture with her.

As others have said, she was an absolute sweetheart.

And it looked like you also get to take home a genuine GSN blue Lingo ball, though some might have taken home more than one!
The Lingo ball is a nice promo item.  It's about the size of a baseball, made of foam rubber.  I think it's a smidge larger than Lingo balls.  (Jason?  Josh?)  The ball was a consolation prize if you didn't pull a red ball out of the hopper.  Both my sister and I each drew blue balls.

cmjb13

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 07:15:27 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' post=\'117951\' date=\'May 7 2006, 07:00 PM\']
The ball was a consolation prize if you didn't pull a red ball out of the hopper.  Both my sister and I each drew blue balls.
[/quote]
In Boston, they let us keep a blue ball even after we pulled a red one.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 07:16:24 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

davemackey

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 08:30:38 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'117948\' date=\'May 7 2006, 05:41 PM\']All in all, it was your run of the mill contestant cattle call, except for the fact that if you get in line in time, you do get to see and talk to Shandi. And it looked like you also get to take home a genuine GSN blue Lingo ball, though some might have taken home more than one![/quote]
It's almost a bumper sticker:

"I went to see Shandi at the Lingo auditions and I came home with blue balls!"

[where's the TTD '90 room?]

TimK2003

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 09:04:10 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'117961\' date=\'May 7 2006, 07:30 PM\']

"I went to see Shandi at the Lingo audition and I came home with blue balls!"

[/quote]

A Very True Line of the Day!

TheGameShowGuy

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 09:42:24 PM »
I guess we were lucky!  I auditioned with friend Chuck Donegan on April 29 in Philly's King Of Prussia Mall (a lucky mall for me) and we got there at 2:30. (Since my teaching schedule in Brooklyn required a 12 Noon departure from NYC.)  We were like 70 ahead of the cut off and got to audition at a bit past 6. The audition consisted of  a detailed application, a game where you drew a ball for a prize (red ball wins) and either way you keep a blue ball and as many bags of Friskies cat food as you wanted. Then the dreaded TIMED (3 Minute) written test with 9 Lingo boards of varying difficulty- at the tables labeled "Lingo Testying Area". (We were told personality counts most but the producers prefer 5 right )  Then the "screen test" with Shandi -who was very nice and friendly. She was happy to answer questions we had about Playmania...as well as pose with us for pictures.
I also must commend the producers at this event (who recognized me from "Word Slam!" - of which they said would not void my Lingo eligibility as it was a special);They were most professional in Philly in that they went way over the time the event was scheduled to end and no one who waited on line was turned away...(they must have cut off the line at around 3PM.)
A few weeks ago

A few weeks before, I auditioned with friends Chris & Mike in Boston. We arrived an hour before the 10AM start and were told to come back at 10- at which point we were like 50th in line. As this stop the producers -again recognizing me from Word Slam!-said had to check out my eligibility with GSN legal - but let me audition. (As I said, in Philly they said it as OK). We all drew the lucky red ball here... but this was the coldest audition I was ever at: It was outside at the Marathon finish line...and it was a bit colder than April usually is... STILL  a lot of fun.

If Lingo comes to a city near you... apply: A-P-P-L-Y
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 09:44:41 PM by TheGameShowGuy »

catkins522

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 02:50:39 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'117963\' date=\'May 7 2006, 09:04 PM\']
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'117961\' date=\'May 7 2006, 07:30 PM\']
"I went to see Shandi at the Lingo audition and I came home with blue balls!"
[/quote]
A Very True Line of the Day!
[/quote]

Day---I don't think so.  Year---Heck yes!

Charles
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!