Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CBS 's schedule is out...  (Read 4460 times)

SteveRep

CBS 's schedule is out...
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2006, 03:46:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'118746\' date=\'May 17 2006, 02:19 PM\']
Yes, here on the east coast* football overrun is commonplace.  FOX's typical solution is to keep Terry, Howie and the boys in the studio showing highlights until the top or bottom of the hour so that the rest of the night runs at the proper time.  CBS almost always runs their Sunday night lineup intact from whenever the game is over, with little regard to the clock.  I can't remember the last time 60 Minutes started on time after a football game.  Twenty to forty minute delays are typical.[/quote]
That's because Fox has a 30-minute buffer built into the prime time schedule. During the football season, the 7:00 animated show is always a rerun. So if you miss it or it's JIP, you're not missing a new episode.

On weeks when Fox has the national doubleheader game (you can tell because the game time is 4:15, not 4:05), they keep every market with the studio show until 7:30. So, even if there's an overrun, it's minimal.

CBS has no such luxury, insisting on scheduling prime time at 7:00 sharp -- 60 Minutes ain't movin' any time soon.

But how that affects TAR will be interesting to see. Another time change can't help the show's attempts to rebound from the less-than-stellar Family race and then the scheduling gaffe of airing it at 10:00. I'll probably be watching the football game and then taping TAR to watch afterwards.

aaron sica

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2006, 04:04:08 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'118756\' date=\'May 17 2006, 03:44 PM\']
[quote name=\'BobbyLankford_83\' post=\'118750\' date=\'May 17 2006, 02:34 PM\']
Matt, we will see how the Peacock does with prime-time football this fall. I remember NBC trying prime-time pre-season football before ABC had Howard Cosell & Company on Monday Night Football around 1968 or 1969, and Johnny Carson was upset that the game (I forget who played that night) would eat into The Tonight Show,and so NBC had to do a Best Of Carson that night.

And I won't forget the infamous Heidi game that NBC had in 1968. Do you remember it, Matt?
[/quote]
You're not a kid?????
[/quote]

Looks like the "83" in his screen name fooled me too. His profile on here says he's 42...Geesh, that's scary.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 04:07:29 PM by aaron sica »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2006, 04:34:01 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'118759\' date=\'May 17 2006, 01:04 PM\']
Looks like the "83" in his screen name fooled me too. His profile on here says he's 42...Geesh, that's scary.
[/quote]
Which, unless my math completely sucks, would make 1983 his high-school graduation year. Give or take.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2006, 04:53:02 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'118764\' date=\'May 17 2006, 03:34 PM\']
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'118759\' date=\'May 17 2006, 01:04 PM\']
[/quote]
Which, unless my math completely sucks, would make 1983 his high-school graduation year. Give or take.
[/quote]
Given what I've read so far, it's still no less scary, though.  :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2006, 06:09:39 PM »
[quote name=\'SteveRep\' post=\'118757\' date=\'May 17 2006, 03:46 PM\']That's because Fox has a 30-minute buffer built into the prime time schedule.
CBS has no such luxury, insisting on scheduling prime time at 7:00 sharp -- 60 Minutes ain't movin' any time soon.[/quote]
While I totally understand that (and pretty much said so), CBS's insistence on scheduling 60 Minutes for 7:00 sharp actually means that it's "movin" just about every week that CBS has the late game.  FOX chooses to build a buffer into their schedule and CBS chooses to not do that.  It's not as though it's a "luxury" to either one of them, it's a corporate decision.  CBS benefits from running 60 Minutes in its entirety at whatever late time they start it because it is a highly rated program that people tend to leave on after football is over.  The question, as we said before, is what impact the NBC game will have on that traditional model.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2006, 05:12:45 PM »
[quote name=\'SteveRep\' post=\'118757\' date=\'May 17 2006, 02:46 PM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'118746\' date=\'May 17 2006, 02:19 PM\']
Yes, here on the east coast* football overrun is commonplace.  FOX's typical solution is to keep Terry, Howie and the boys in the studio showing highlights until the top or bottom of the hour so that the rest of the night runs at the proper time.  CBS almost always runs their Sunday night lineup intact from whenever the game is over, with little regard to the clock.  I can't remember the last time 60 Minutes started on time after a football game.  Twenty to forty minute delays are typical.[/quote]
That's because Fox has a 30-minute buffer built into the prime time schedule. During the football season, the 7:00 animated show is always a rerun. So if you miss it or it's JIP, you're not missing a new episode.[/quote]

As of this fall, the bumper will be an hour from 7 to 8--and they're now officially going to call it "The OT" for schedule purposes.  If Terry and whoever's replacing J.B. don't go all the way to 8, there'll be a "comedy classic" at 7:30 (which here in Chicago would mean to us "The Three Stooges," especially if it was on WFLD, but not in this instance.)

ChuckNet

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2006, 08:37:09 PM »
Back around 1984/1985 when NBC had football the first time, some episodes of "Punky Brewster" were broken up into 2 15-minute segments in case a game ran over.

They were the 3 eps that aired immediately after the 3-part opener, IIRC...but I digress, was wondering what the purpose of doing two separate 15-min. stories an ep on those shows was about.

Chuck Donegan (The Enlightened "Chuckie Baby")