Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Deal or No Deal this fall...  (Read 10145 times)

FOXSportsFan

Deal or No Deal this fall...
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2006, 09:26:53 PM »
The one that I found a little odd about OLN was they used an insane number of game announcers.  They never really had a definitive A team or B team really.  They've relied on the likes of Sam Rosen and Doc Emrick, but also used a lot of local guys including the Flyers' Jim Jackson at one point (hmmm, prolly b/c he's a company man).  How hard is it to have at least 2 main teams established and then from there it can be mix and match as seen fit?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2006, 10:35:38 PM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' post=\'118873\' date=\'May 18 2006, 06:26 PM\']
How hard is it to have at least 2 main teams established and then from there it can be mix and match as seen fit?
[/quote]
Remember that all of those teams have day jobs; Emrick calls the Devils games, for one. So I would imagine they spread 'em out so that they don't have to pay for assloads of travel.

(That said, if they took up a collection to fly Joe Beninati to Siberia, I'd pony up.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2006, 11:37:52 PM »
Well true, but there are situations in other sports where the announcer does the national telecast thushaving someone else handle the play by play on the local game.  

For instance, if Marv Albert is contracted to do a TNT game during the season, the more than capable Ian Eagle would handle the Nets telecast on the Marv Network...oh sorry, I mean the YES network.

Perhaps hockey is the exception to the rule.

And, Beninati isn't bad, I must say.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 11:39:03 PM by FOXSportsFan »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2006, 11:56:17 PM »
I just have to say that I have NEVER been less interested in a thread.

Growing up in Tennessee, ice was not a spectator sport, it was what we put in our sweet tea.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2006, 12:04:31 AM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' post=\'118887\' date=\'May 18 2006, 08:37 PM\']
And, Beninati isn't bad, I must say.
[/quote]
Yeah, that doesn't surprise me.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2006, 12:13:06 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'118893\' date=\'May 18 2006, 10:56 PM\']

Growing up in Tennessee, ice was not a spectator sport, it was what we put in our sweet tea.
[/quote]
I heard that.  When I was younger, they tried to put some sort of small potatoes hockey team in Memphis called the Riverkings.  Don't know if it's still around, but what a joke.

Brandon Brooks

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2006, 12:20:11 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' post=\'118859\' date=\'May 18 2006, 06:38 PM\']
Now you know how I felt after the Oilers snuffed my Red Wings.  [/quote]
With all due respect, what were you expecting?  Playing St. Louis, Columbus and the fighting Wirtzes 90 times a year will do wonders for your regular season record--but it's no measure on how you'll do in the postseason.  That said, I'm one of the few in Chicago who doesn't dislike the Red Wings.

(Well, at least I didn't do the "I live in a market without a NHL team" joke.)  :)

[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'118882\' date=\'May 18 2006, 09:35 PM\']
(That said, if they took up a collection to fly Joe Beninati to Siberia, I'd pony up.)
[/quote]
I'm not a big fan either.  Wasn't he doing lesser games on ESPN/ESPN2 back when they had the games?

Aside to Matt O.--sorry, I know you're not a big hockey buff.

Doug
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 12:20:49 AM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2006, 01:53:55 AM »
Pretty much what he sorta does for OLN...he's middle of the road, hence I said he isn't bad...there are worse and there are better.

Fedya

« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2006, 11:53:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'118893\' date=\'May 18 2006, 11:56 PM\']

[/quote]
Ah, but watching Tenneseeans try to drive on ice is a spectator sport.  :-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2006, 12:31:08 AM »
Not far fetched in sports either...wasn't there some frozen precipitation during a race at Bristol this year?

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2006, 02:56:42 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'118882\' date=\'May 18 2006, 10:35 PM\']
[/quote]

Are you implying that you'd like to benninate him?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 02:56:53 AM by Steve Gavazzi »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2006, 10:29:59 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'118752\' date=\'May 17 2006, 01:56 PM\']
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' post=\'118751\' date=\'May 17 2006, 01:38 PM\']
Though I still preferred him as an analyst, Bill Clement as a studio host has been a pleasant surprise.
[/quote]
I agree.  Clement's also been a pleasant surprise when NBC has asked him to do their "Sports Update" wraps (voicing baseball, NBA and other sports highlights).  [/quote]

Adding to my "pleasant surprise," Clement got off a terrific line in the Update wrap before they threw it officially to the Preakness.  On voicing the highlight of Michael Barrett's cold-cocking of A.J. Pierzynski during the Chi. Cubs/Chi. White Sox tilt, Clement cracked, "Folks, that's a hockey punch."

The guy gets it.  Wouldn't mind seeing him have a regular role behind the sports desk after the NHL season ends.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

JayDLewis

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2006, 12:11:49 PM »
Sorry to interrupt this sports discussion for just a moment...

Why are they holding off the Syndie until '07? (OK, I'm sure no one here KNOWS but any good guesses?)

They have a set, a host and (probably) hundreds of potential contestants. Those are, I assume, are the 3 biggest time-factors in mounting a show.

Considering how fickle the US viewing public is, Deal might either cool off considerably (or even be cancelled) which could/would kill a syndie version. Isn't it best to capitalize on the mania while it's still hot?
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2006, 12:43:08 PM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' post=\'119048\' date=\'May 21 2006, 12:11 PM\']Why are they holding off the Syndie until '07? (OK, I'm sure no one here KNOWS but any good guesses?)[/quote]
I'm guessing you let the prime time version run its course for as long as it can before you launch a syndicated one.  Adding a stripped daily show, even one with a different host (Howie?  No way.) and lower payouts, seriously dilutes what we all know is a pretty thin game to begin with.  Best to milk all they can out of the prime time show first.  The seventies model of daytime + syndication really isn't relevant anymore.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2006, 01:08:55 PM »
I don't believe anybody thought it would be the phenomenon it has become.  NBC didn't have time to make a push at NATPE so they were shut out of fall '06.  I do think they should get it off the ground sooner, but syndication does not work the way it used to.  Barter plus cash is the rule, so both sponsors and a large station list must be obtained.  It's not like 1974 where WML? was a go with just 43 markets, now you have to have virtually every market committted just to get it off the ground.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.