Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Network Daytime Schedules...  (Read 1161 times)

Ian Wallis

Network Daytime Schedules...
« on: May 18, 2006, 09:07:16 AM »
This actually reminded me of something I've always wondered....When I got my first West Coast TVG in '84, I was surprised to see that the daytime schedule was one hour behind (9am-3pm as compared to 10am-4pm, of course), but the primetime schedule was the same. Why is this?

I'm moving the response to this over to the Big Board because I think it's more appropriate to discuss this here, rather than in Behind the Scenes  :)

It's true that NBC and CBS aired their daytime programming one hour ealier on the West Coast than they did on the East.  However, ABC's schedule was totally mixed over.  I have a bunch of West Coast TVGuides from the mid '70s, and here's what the ABC West Coast schedule looked like in early 1975:

10:30  Brady Bunch
11:00  Money Maze
11:30  Big Showdown
12:00  Password
12:30  Split Second
1:00    All My Children
1:30    Let's Make a Deal
2:00    $10,000 Pyramid
2:30    One Life to Live
3:00    General Hospital

I was confused in late 1975 when Monty Hall announced that "Let's Make a Deal" was moving to 12 noon, but staying at 1:30 on the West Coast.

I've always wondered why the West schedule didn't follow the East.  Did the West's top man have the authority to mix up the schedule, or did that decision come from the East?  It's interesting that the West didn't have to worry about the dreaded 4 p.m. clearances, but it adds to the confusion of different shows competing with each other in different parts of the country.

Just thought this would be of interest...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 10:09:19 AM »
As far as 11:30am, that coincides with 2:30pm in the East, so maybe LA took the live NY feed so they didn't have to schlep a tape of TBS to the West coast.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 12:22:44 PM »
As far as 11:30am, that coincides with 2:30pm in the East, so maybe LA took the live NY feed so they didn't have to schlep a tape of TBS to the West coast.

Hmmm....that didn't occur to me, but I wonder if that's another reason why tapes of this show are so hard to find.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

uncamark

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 04:42:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'118822\' date=\'May 18 2006, 09:09 AM\']
[/quote]

But could it have been possible that they could've taped off of the New York feed and played it back on the West Coast?  Seemed to me that the other networks did a lot of the same thing back then.  They probably would've run the same spots and it wouldn't have hurt anything if the New York booth announcer's voice was heard on the voice-over promos.