Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Home Run Derby Hank Aaron appearance  (Read 6774 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Home Run Derby Hank Aaron appearance
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2006, 01:51:29 PM »
[quote name=\'RMF\' post=\'119112\' date=\'May 22 2006, 10:39 AM\']
As for NFL football, doesn't NFL Films have some policy that limits what they can air in that regard?
[/quote]
Yeah, yer not gonna see football because I'm guessing NFL Films hogs all of that stuff for the NFL Network now.

Yer not gonna see hockey because ESPN does not want to promote a sport that is going to be airing on their direct competitor come the fall.

There is, however, no reason they couldn't show classic basketball and baseball games, of which they have the broadcast rights to great boatloads of.

I'm inclined to go with the good Doctor's diagnosis that the demographic ESPN is shooting for is more interested in "Instant Classics" (and I dunno about now, but then, ESPN's idea of an "instant classic", at least in hockey, was a completely unremarkable Conference Finals game from about four years ago) than legitimate classic broadcasts.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

RMF

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2006, 01:56:39 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'119113\' date=\'May 22 2006, 12:51 PM\']

I'm inclined to go with the good Doctor's diagnosis that the demographic ESPN is shooting for is more interested in "Instant Classics" (and I dunno about now, but then, ESPN's idea of an "instant classic", at least in hockey, was a completely unremarkable Conference Finals game from about four years ago) than legitimate classic broadcasts.
[/quote]

Oh, I do not contest that one bit. I'm just guessing as to what makes boxing different.

aaron sica

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2006, 02:47:10 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'119092\' date=\'May 22 2006, 08:03 AM\']

To most of the advertisers' target audience, "Classic" is last Wednesday. They're more likely to tune in for the Snark Brothers or Arlis$ reruns or a movie than for replays of the 82 Brewers. (I can't figure out why old Boxing is OK - maybe they figure it draws the HBO/Showtime crowd). Otherwise, don't expect to see anything older than five or six years ever again.

It's not that older folks don't have money to spend, but that our brand preferences are usually established and harder to change. In short, we don't pay attention to ads.
[/quote]

Definitely true....They get a lot of mileage out of "Instant Classics"...

ChuckNet

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2006, 08:47:10 PM »
Classic Sports Network, ESPN Classic's predecessor, always showed the original credits (with the MGM logo added to the end).

And that (modern) MGM logo was "de-colorized", to better blend in w/the B&W show...I believe Viacom did the same thing w/their old "Big V" logo for some old Honeymooners eps in the mid-80s.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 08:47:37 PM by ChuckNet »