Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Howie Mandel of "Deal or No Deal"  (Read 1572 times)

b_masters9

Howie Mandel of "Deal or No Deal"
« on: June 04, 2006, 02:44:23 PM »
Here is Howie Mandel, the host of NBC's "Deal or No Deal", long before he became the host of that series, in a classic medical series that, oddly enough, aired on the same network as "Deal"-- NBC's 1982-88 medical series "St. Elsewhere". The following are links to pages that contain title sequence clips from that series. (Scroll towards the bottom of the mentioned pages to find these clips.)

1. http://www.tv-timewarp.co.uk/video_intros/drama01.htm (The S1--1982-83--title sequence is there. The clip is 3.72 MB, and the arrangement of the opening theme in it sounds really cool, at least to me. The clip is also very high quality. Also, the title and cast member names are in a different font than what would come later.)
2. http://www.tv-intros.com/s/s.html (Down towards the bottom here is another "St. Elsewhere" title sequence; although I cannot place what season this is from, it does feature Mandel, albeit in a different shot than the 1982 sequence. This clip is 7.15 MB, and has very jumpy video quality, unlike the one from TV-Timewarp).
3. http://www.80stvthemes.com/action (Here is one more clip; the shot of Mandel here is the same as #2. The clip is listed on the page as being from 1983, but I believe that this is from the 1986-87 season, due to the fact that Bruce Greenwood, Bonnie Bartlett, and others are in it, as well as Mandel. This is a 540 KB Real file.)

Although I do not have any clips of Howie in action from the series (his role was that of Dr. Wayne Fiscus), I do believe that you will like seeing what Howie looked like when he had hair, unlike today.

I really do hope you enjoy them!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 06:15:20 AM by b_masters9 »

MTCesquire

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 05:01:09 AM »
Growing up with Bobby's World and watching his talk show on a regular basis during that one summer vacation it was on, I already knew what Howie looks like with hair.  I was more surprised to find out that Denzel Washington was a cast member of St. Elsewhere before becoming an A-list movie star.  Learn something new every day.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 05:16:40 AM »
[quote name=\'MTCesquire\' post=\'120391\' date=\'Jun 5 2006, 05:01 AM\']
Growing up with Bobby's World and watching his talk show on a regular basis during that one summer vacation it was on, I already knew what Howie looks like with hair.  I was more surprised to find out that Denzel Washington was a cast member of St. Elsewhere before becoming an A-list movie star.  Learn something new every day.
[/quote]
Seems that "St. Elsewhere" actually helped start a few careers. There's Stephen Furst, who went on to "Babylon 5", and Mark Harmon.

Granted, both made appearances beforehand (Furst was in "Animal House", Harmon had a couple of shows), but I think Elsewhere really put them on the map.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

b_masters9

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 06:30:26 AM »
I really do appreciate the replies that I have received on this topic, and I want to ask a question about it (I don't know if it's OT or semi-OT)-- having seen these, did you like the way that the title sequence was done (with each cast member's intro starting BW and changing to color)? I myself thought it was pretty neat. The cast member's intros were not the only part of the title sequence that did that, however, as the shot of St. Eligius also turned to color as it zoomed out to show the "St. Elsewhere" title. It seemed like they were trying to give us a little history lesson by showing the hospital in the beginning (black & white) and then colorizing it to the present day (the same for the cast members).

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 10:23:35 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'120392\' date=\'Jun 5 2006, 05:16 AM\']Granted, both made appearances beforehand (Furst was in "Animal House", Harmon had a couple of shows), but I think Elsewhere really put them on the map.[/quote]
I think of Harmon that way, but Furst will always be Flounder to me.

Don't forget veteran game player Ed Begley Jr as another who used St. Elsewhere as a career-launcher.  And honestly, even William Daniels really wasn't a household name until Elsewhere came along.  He was mostly an answer to several trivia questions (John Adams in 1776, the voice of KITT).
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.