Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: One thought on the games in GSM  (Read 1993 times)

Jay Temple

One thought on the games in GSM
« on: June 04, 2006, 03:11:28 AM »
Kathy Najimy, Paige Davis and Ricki Lake all appeared as celebs on Pyramid, and Najimy was a contestant in the 1980's, and it's one of my two favorite game shows ever. But this is not just a my-favorite-isn't-in-there whine. I realized that the entire category of communication games is unrepresented: no Pyramid, no Password of any sort, not even Body Language or Win, Lose or Draw! (I realize they weren't going to embarrass the celebs by doing J!, even if they could get the rights.) There isn't even a wordplay game like WoF or Scrabble.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 03:18:29 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'120325\' date=\'Jun 4 2006, 12:11 AM\']
I realized that the entire category of communication games is unrepresented: no Pyramid, no Password of any sort, not even Body Language or Win, Lose or Draw!
[/quote]
So what you're saying is that a genre of game show where a celebrity could potentially be embarrassed if they didn't play with a certain degree of skill isn't being used for this tournament?

'Magine that.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 07:23:40 AM »
Another show which could be used in future marathons is "Tattletales," with the celeb's significant others or family members.  Not only did it run longer on CBS than PYL or CS, but it's from the Goodson stable and I think that format would suit Ricki perfectly.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 07:26:28 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 04:28:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'120329\' date=\'Jun 4 2006, 04:23 AM\']
Not only did it run longer on CBS than PYL or CS, but it's from the Goodson stable and I think that format would suit Ricki perfectly.
[/quote]
If they DO do this again, and they DO bring Lake back to be the host, that will prove to me conclusively that Fremantle is COMPLETELY off of their friggin' twig.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 11:27:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'120329\' date=\'Jun 4 2006, 07:23 AM\']
Another show which could be used in future marathons is "Tattletales," with the celeb's significant others or family members.  Not only did it run longer on CBS than PYL or CS, but it's from the Goodson stable and I think that format would suit Ricki perfectly.[/quote]
Tattletales would fulfill the conditions that Press Your Luck will do in this marathon (three contestants, with one becoming the last entrant into the semifinals).  Of course, so would Jeopardy!, but that's a completely different matter...

I love Tattletales, and I think it would have been a much more fun show to watch these celebrities play than Press Your Luck is going to be.  You'd also have the fun of going way-retro with the green shag carpet and headphones.  Still, while I've never completely understood it myself, there's definitely a cult following for the Whammies that extends far beyond our incestuous little bunch, and I reluctantly accept that Press Your Luck was the better choice from an audience-recognition standpoint.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BobbyLankford_83

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 10:15:56 AM »
Matt, I wish they would have done Password,which would have been cool, with the 45th anniversary coming up of it's debut at 2pm ET/1pm CT and PT on the CBS Television Network on 10/2/1961 with Allen Ludden. It would have had the same set they had from 1962-67 and also the music by Bob Colbert that was used from 1963-67. I remember when Allen would snap his fingers to the theme at the end of the show. And Betty White would easily have been a shoo-in to be a panelist on there, having done all versions thru the years.

We have not seen Password since NBC canned Super Password with Bert Convy on 3/24/1989 (I know it was not aired in Lansing or Grand Rapids due to noon news,Matt) ,the same day the peacock canned $ale of The Century. This show along with Concentration is due for a new version.

Come to think of it Classic Concentration would have been cool to put on Game Show Marathon, but wouldn't CBS have had to go to NBC Universal to get permission to have it on Game Show Marathon,Matt?. NBC Universal still owns the rights to the show and they let Goodson-Todman do the Jack Narz version from 1973-79 and Classic Concentration with Alex Trebek from 1987-93.

clemon79

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 10:31:27 AM »
Zach's got a protege, y0.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 10:51:12 AM »
"Super Password" did air in Grand Rapids at the beginning of the run on a one day delay at 9:30am on Channel 17.  Channel 10 in Lansing aired SP at least once on Thanksgiving Day 1984 when they gave the noon news staff the day off.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.