Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GSM: The Sequel  (Read 17389 times)

ChuckNet

GSM: The Sequel
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2006, 09:55:39 PM »
It's "G-a-m-e-s-h-o-w," not "G-a-z-p-a-c-h-o." Get it right next time. ;-)

Go back to Russia! :-D

Chuck Donegan (The Simpsons-Referencing "Chuckie Baby")

ilb4ever2000

« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2006, 11:34:38 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' post=\'122113\' date=\'Jun 22 2006, 10:54 AM\']Keep in mind that when CBS TJW debuted, the original J!, 3 W's, and Split Second were all still on the air. Ergo, it may still have been fashionable in 1972 to have slightly more difficult questions.[/quote]

This is what I think. Since quiz shows were not in vogue when TJW came back in syndication, someone figured harder questions might be a turn-off.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 11:35:42 PM by ilb4ever2000 »

PalCatIN

« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2006, 09:21:54 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'121753\' date=\'Jun 18 2006, 10:02 PM\']
Wow. Somebody REALLY loves Raymond.

And...Suzanne Pleshette? What are you promoting? Bob Newhart reruns from 1974?[/quote]

Well, actually, only 2 of those celebs are regulars on "Everybody Loves Raymond".  As for Suzanne Pleshette, she's done TV as recently as the 2004 Season of"Will & Grace".  Jerry Stiller did an episode of Pyramid back in the 70's (as shown on King of Queens in an episode where he watches one of his appearances).  Hey, at least people will know 5 of the Stars, if not all 6.  I'd never heard of Brande until GSM started airing, and I doubt LOTS of people know Paige.

You are aware that the idea here is to use game shows people have HEARD of, right? 'Cuz the geeks who would recognize Whew! are gonna watch regardless.

Actually, I believe the idea of the original UK version was to pay tribute to the Network, which would be best served by using people who star on the Network (which was not the case with ANY of Season 1's players).  In addition, as Ricki so [sarcasm] splendidly [/sarcasm] reminded us at the beginning of each hour, they were there to (depending on the night) pay tribute to...  [Ricki] GAME SHOWS! [/Ricki]  That said, any game show should be acceptable.

How many people watching do you think had really heard of and/or remembered "Beat The Clock"?  Seeing as the last time either was on was the 79-80 TV Season (well, unless you count the 2002 BTC, but I didn't even know there was one till I looked it up on IMDB.com), I'm guessing not many more than knew Whew!  In addition, at least all but TTD and TJW used celebrities for at least part of their run.

The only one this season that used Celebs even somewhat regularly, was Match Game.  Plus, anybody who likes the Celebs will watch because of that, and once you're hooked on a show (which people would be if it's strong enough to come back), you tend to at least start to watch most of the episodes.  Of course, there's also the play-at-home "hook.  Whew! being first might be risky, but then again it might just be the corny, "retro" schtick to which some people would cling.

Anyway, not to make a huge argument about it.  Just my thoughts based on yours.  Anyone else have any thoughts?  I'd like to hear what others of you have to say.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2006, 09:52:59 PM »
[quote name=\'PalCatIN\' post=\'122588\' date=\'Jun 26 2006, 06:21 PM\']
As for Suzanne Pleshette, she's done TV as recently as the 2004 Season of"Will & Grace".
[/quote]
A guest shot...on a sitcom on another network that is no longer airing...two years ago.

You know what three-letter word comes next, right?
Actually, I believe the idea of the original UK version was to pay tribute to the Network
Oh, your naivety is adorable. "Making money? Naw, no need. I wanna pay tribute!"
In addition, as Ricki so [sarcasm] splendidly [/sarcasm] reminded us at the beginning of each hour, they were there to (depending on the night) pay tribute to...  [Ricki] GAME SHOWS! [/Ricki]  That said, any game show should be acceptable.
Something is very wrong with you.
How many people watching do you think had really heard of and/or remembered "Beat The Clock"?...I'm guessing not many more than knew Whew!
VERY wrong. To suggest that as many potential viewers remember a show that ran a hair over a year in relative obscurity compared to one that ran fifteen years in four different formats pretty much proves that your grasp on reality is tenuous at best.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2006, 10:19:06 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'122589\' date=\'Jun 26 2006, 08:52 PM\']
You know what three-letter word comes next, right?
[/quote]
Bow....wow. ;)
--Mark
Phil 4:13

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2006, 11:54:38 PM »
ATTN: People thinking there will be a sequel...

I love how long this thing has gone on for.  I mean people, we have here a bunch of dingbats going on about a sequel.  I think I may have said it earlier, but for the feeble minded, the just plain dumb, and perhaps even the people still living in their parents' basements among us: THERE WILL BE NO SEQUEL!!!  A 4.5-5.5 rating for something that took this much effort, and the amount of effort is greatly debatable in some aspects, doesn't justify a sequel.  It's a one shot deal.  Enjoy it and be thankful CBS let old school game shows see the light of day again on their schedule!  Aside from the obvious exception at 11am ET Monday-Friday, it won't happen again any time soon.

And really, why the heck would you want a sequel?  If you have so many problems with the host, announcer, music, celebrities, etc., then why in the heck would you want to go through it all again, when you know the company behind this has a track record for screwing things up?

BrandonFG

« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2006, 12:25:21 AM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' post=\'122607\' date=\'Jun 26 2006, 11:54 PM\']

I love how long this thing has gone on for.  I mean people, we have here a bunch of dingbats going on about a sequel.  I think I may have said it earlier, but for the feeble minded, the just plain dumb, and perhaps even the people still living in their parents' basements among us: THERE WILL BE NO SEQUEL!!!  A 4.5-5.5 rating for something that took this much effort, and the amount of effort is greatly debatable in some aspects, doesn't justify a sequel.  It's a one shot deal.  Enjoy it and be thankful CBS let old school game shows see the light of day again on their schedule!  Aside from the obvious exception at 11am ET Monday-Friday, it won't happen again any time soon.

And really, why the heck would you want a sequel?  If you have so many problems with the host, announcer, music, celebrities, etc., then why in the heck would you want to go through it all again, when you know the company behind this has a track record for screwing things up?
[/quote]
Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed or something? Where did all this ranting come from? From what I've read on this board and the summaries threads, the Marathon has been generally well-received, except for some small nits. And from my observations, the nits aren't enough to turn folks away. Hell, I have my nits to pick with Jeopardy, but I still love the show.

As for the 4.5/5.5 rating, yeah it is low, but it is summer so it's expected. Did you even read other threads where it won it's timeslot?

Granted it prolly won't be back for a sequel, but I hardly think it's because of your rant that basically said nothing.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2006, 01:31:09 AM »
"Beat the Clock" is Nick's "Double Dare" without the questions and the slime.  The general mechanics of the show should be evident to anyone at a glance.  

The nostalgia factor that the Ant and Dec show had wasn't as strong here because most of these shows are either still on in first or second run or had been revived recently.  The TPIR show made me nostalgic for that morning.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2006, 10:00:09 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'122609\' date=\'Jun 27 2006, 12:25 AM\']
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' post=\'122607\' date=\'Jun 26 2006, 11:54 PM\']

[/quote]
Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed or something? Where did all this ranting come from? From what I've read on this board and the summaries threads, the Marathon has been generally well-received, except for some small nits. And from my observations, the nits aren't enough to turn folks away. Hell, I have my nits to pick with Jeopardy, but I still love the show.

As for the 4.5/5.5 rating, yeah it is low, but it is summer so it's expected. Did you even read other threads where it won it's timeslot?

Granted it prolly won't be back for a sequel, but I hardly think it's because of your rant that basically said nothing.
[/quote]

Actually I think I was on the wrong side of a blowout at the game I called last night...comment still stands though.  I just find it odd that some people on here aren't happy with what they have.  It's a miracle of sorts that this marathon even happened, and now some imply this should be a yearly thing or something.  That's all.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2006, 11:14:22 AM »
I'm of the opinion that it is not far-fetched to suggest that a couple of the shows could be used as a summer replacement of four or five weeks next season, my preferences would be Card Sharks or Match Game using sets constructed for the specials.  Changes I'd make-real people as contestants, half-hour shows (I might be open to having three shows for 40 minutes each to form a two hour weekly block), less filler (we obviously wouldn't need the history lesson every week) and a different host for each show.  Maybe have Ricki do MG, Rich Fields for Card Sharks and....what the heck....Dave Price for nighttime TPIR :)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2006, 11:24:10 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'122623\' date=\'Jun 27 2006, 08:14 AM\']
my preferences would be Card Sharks or Match Game using sets constructed for the specials.  
[/quote]
Card Sharks really stood out to me as the best show of the series thus far by a longshot, with Press Your Luck running second. But I wouldn't use the same sets, which for all of their hard work did still come off as replicas. (Which for the purposes of this series they're supposed to, I'm sure, but it doesn't fly with a standalone show.)

There's no way in nine blue hells I'd let Rikki host it, though, unless someone sat her down and said "Okay, that was how a caricature acts, now he's how to REALLY do it, do it this way or you're vapor"

Frighteningly, I wouldn't mind seeing how Rich Fields did as a host. Not an announcer, a host.

(Here's one out of the blue. Pat Finn, who really wasn't a bad host, he was just saddled with irritating formats. (And if they came up with an original paradigm instead of trying to convince us that travesty he hosted in 1990 was TJW, I think our memories of that show would be far more generous.) I think his style could possibly work on either show. I'd at least be willing to see him try.)

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2006, 12:24:44 PM »
There's no way in nine blue hells I'd let Rikki host it

Although Ricki's definitely improved, I still think the roles of Todd Newton and Ricki Lake should've been vice versa.

Better still: John O'Hurley as the prize truck fellow, Todd shining as emcee, and Ricki doing whatever it is one does during a sabbatical from showbiz.
Or..Todd remains as the Prize Truck guy and John O'Hurley gives it a whirl as emcee. Either way, Ricki would still be at home eating bonbons.

--Jamie
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 12:29:01 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

uncamark

« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2006, 03:02:42 PM »
The original UK "GSM" may've been a tribute to ITV's game shows and part of ITV paying tribute to itself and its 50th anniversary, but it also was based on the predication that nostalgia can get big ratings numbers, particularly on Saturday night, which is still a big deal over there.  All of the big reality shows play on Saturday nights one way or the other and the new "Doctor Who" is on that same night.  And IIRC, the combination of nostalgia and Ant and Dec did have ITV beating BBC1 on Saturday nights, hence the U.S. version.

The Beeb didn't do anything like "GSM," but I assume that when they had their 75th anniversary in 1997, they did as many on-air tributes to themselves as ITV did last year, if not more.  Early BBC America viewers may remember the 75th anniversary salute promos with Tom Jones, Sting and that well-known Brit Whoopi Goldberg.

Neumms

« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2006, 04:03:02 PM »
If CBS was to look at this and find something to bring back next summer, I think it's PYL and Match Game, as half-hours that can run back to back or not.

The panel on Match Game was terrific. The questions were good and didn't need penis references to work. All they need is a host who is able to add to the humor. (A full-size set and civilian contestants would be good, too.)

Of the other games, PYL is the one that seems big enough to run in prime time as a summertime diversion. (Card Sharks doesn't seem big enough to me.) Run infrequently enough, it's a great novelty and very exciting. The most exciting game of their lives, for pete's sake. Ricki wasn't too bad on this one, or they could even let Jeff Probst host it.

clemon79

« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2006, 04:07:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'122635\' date=\'Jun 27 2006, 01:03 PM\']
Run infrequently enough, it's a great novelty and very exciting.
[/quote]
And here's your fallacy; you think that CBS will show restraint and not run it into the ground if it gets decent numbers. Remember, this is the network with three different CSI shows. ;)

"The Whammy goes Hawaiian! Press Your Luck: Honolulu! CBS Tuesday!"