Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Old Shows still work :) - GSM  (Read 6536 times)

Shredder

Old Shows still work :) - GSM
« on: June 08, 2006, 08:41:47 PM »
MUCH Better audience today for Press Your Luck.   They where really getting into it..

If they re-arranged the CBS Daytime Schedule, and placed that Soap Opera before price someplace else, they could put Press Your Luck, amd Lets Make a Deal on!  So much better TV than some Talk Show with the latest 'Lets talk about ME' celebirites.....or some news program...  

Yeah, I know it'll never happen, but I can dream....

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 09:08:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Shredder\' post=\'120745\' date=\'Jun 8 2006, 07:41 PM\']
If they re-arranged the CBS Daytime Schedule, and placed that Soap Opera before price someplace else, [/quote]
What soap opera?
In my area...the timeslot before Price is local station time.

Back home, it was Regis...not sure what they show down here.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

mikewpu04

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 09:12:46 PM »
MUCH Better audience today for Press Your Luck.   They where really getting into it..

If they re-arranged the CBS Daytime Schedule, and placed that Soap Opera before price someplace else, they could put Press Your Luck, amd Lets Make a Deal on!  So much better TV than some Talk Show with the latest 'Lets talk about ME' celebirites.....or some news program...  

[/quote]

Actually, I think PYL would work better as either a early prime show (against Jep and or Wheel in most markets), or even primetime. PYL can be made event based. I think if marketed right, it can be made apointment TV (unlike GSM).

LA the DJ

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 09:15:21 PM »
Well done show tonight. Complete with mentions of Michael and a In Memory of Peter graphic. Ricki seemed more into this one, and the set was well done. The prize slides did some weird things (is it just me, or did some of them look compressed for 16:9 or something?). It was complete with a tense final spin of the type that always made the end exciting. The show, with classic rules, still works in 2006. To the folks around here who were responsible for the prize images, a great job, as always.
I've heard some buzz that this is one of the shows on GSM in line for a possible revival, but who knows if CBS will be behind it.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 09:23:22 PM »
[quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' post=\'120757\' date=\'Jun 8 2006, 06:15 PM\']
Well done show tonight. Complete with mentions of Michael
[/quote]
Impressive, considering one of our number had it "on good authority" that the folks involved didn't know who Larson was.

So much for authority.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 09:26:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'120752\' date=\'Jun 8 2006, 08:08 PM\']
If they re-arranged the CBS Daytime Schedule, and placed that Soap Opera before price someplace else, [/quote]
What soap opera?
In my area...the timeslot before Price is local station time.
[/quote]
In quite a few markets (New York and Chicago among them), GUIDING LIGHT airs right before TPiR.

Doug -- and the countdown to 2000 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

toddyo

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 11:51:24 PM »
I thought this was the best of the bunch so far.  
I loved the true intro, From Hollywood, from Television City...!
The set was stunning. The play was excellent, especially round 2.

This has to be made into a weekly primetime show or daily network.  Yes, I agree, Whammy should have been made this way.

And kudos to the fast calculations!

My minute beefs:
Why Times Roman font for the answers?  It was always Karrina font.
The sounds effects and Whammy sounds were too weak.  Boost 'em!
Ricki did need to rotate the comments.

Overall, awesome and EMMY QUALIFICATIONS!
PS:  Nice to see the rotating set
PS#2: Disappointed to not hear anything about the announcers. JOhnny O and Rod Roddy made TPIR and PYL energetic.

saussage

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 12:07:39 AM »
Well done. I only saw the tail end of PYL and all was fantastic. Even if the original PYL started over 20 years ago, the format holds quite well in 2006 IMO. Nice touch with the Tomarken memory at the end as well.

What can I say, I'm hooked to watch the next episode of GSM. :)
Don't think too hard... you might give yourself a headache.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 12:38:02 AM »
MUCH LATER EDIT: Didn't even pay attention to this until a recent search.

Don't worry, Doug. No plonk for you. ;)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 12:45:46 AM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Johnissoevil

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 01:18:10 AM »
[quote name=\'Shredder\' post=\'120745\' date=\'Jun 8 2006, 08:41 PM\']

[/quote]

Heck, even if they can't do that, I'm sure that a daytime game show block would help the new CW Network (co-owned by CBS) get a good start.  That's just as much wishful thinking as you said, but at least PYL and LMAD could wipe Springer out of the morning timeslot on CW 11 WPIX here.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 10:15:54 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'120791\' date=\'Jun 8 2006, 11:38 PM\']
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'120752\' date=\'Jun 8 2006, 09:08 PM\']
What soap opera?
[/quote]

Guiding Light. In more than a few markets it airs at 10 AM, including the NYC area (the rest, of course, air it at 3 PM, where it's supposed to be).
[/quote]
What am I--chopped liver?  Answered two posts above yours:

[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'120760\' date=\'Jun 8 2006, 08:26 PM\']
In quite a few markets (New York and Chicago among them), GUIDING LIGHT airs right before TPiR.
[/quote]

Unless you're telling me I'm on your plonk list.  :)

Doug -- and the countdown to 2000 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Argo

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 11:24:55 AM »
PYL was pretty good. Game play was good, and the set was extremely well done.

A few things that I was sad to see was the audience, the stars and the incorrect information for the biography of the show. Again, as stated on the board, the audience is almost not even there. Most of the time the camera pans through and you see how NOT interested they are to be there. Also, the stars playing the games i'm guessing are not given the rules before they play. Seemd that even after Ricki explained what to do, they didn't know what it meant to get a whammy or how many spins they had left.

Ricki is great as host it seems. She trys to bring as much excitement to the whole thing as she can, without going overboard like some of the celebrities.

Also, the incorrect statement in the biography of the show, where Rich states, that PYL debuted on CBS in 1981. To me this seems to be lack of interest in the whole thing. Basically, just tell people some date and they'll be ok with it. Also, on the CBS.com video clip of Rich he states that Plinko has been seen on TPIR for 34 years. I'm guessing this happens too on other specials when the people involved are not interest in the history of their shows.

Bit surprised at why they made a new opening riff from where they go into the main theme though. Doesnt match the bass line of the original, but atleast they kept the theme.

All in all, would love to see it come back next season. I could see it be a half hour show, once a week. Just get an audience that wants to be there, or just not show the audience at all, and maybe less edits.

Mark

Shredder

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 12:45:16 PM »
Finally watched all of PYL GSM...

Definetly the best out of the ones I've seen so far, and I missed price.  The Tension was there when they reminded everyone that the celebs where playing for someone at home, so the celebs actually had some tension in them as well.  It was great to see them decide on strategy rather than just randomly having fun and throwing around passes... Who knew PYL would work in an hour format?

I'm going to try and get a CBS/GameShow Marathon Rep on the phone and ask him some questions...If TPIR could get some decent gameshow leadins like this, they could have a great morning lineup, and colledges around the world would be seeing massic student sick ins :).  Now if only we could convince them to show 'hipper' and less depressing commercials reminding us when we are going to die if we don't get the latest medication :)..

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 12:49:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Shredder\' post=\'120855\' date=\'Jun 9 2006, 09:45 AM\']
I'm going to try and get a CBS/GameShow Marathon Rep on the phone and ask him some questions...
[/quote]
I bet THAT will be an interesting phone call.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2006, 12:49:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Shredder\' post=\'120855\' date=\'Jun 9 2006, 11:45 AM\']
colledges around the world would be seeing massic student sick ins :)[/quote]
Hopefully, you're not one of them...as the first step to attending college is spelling it correctly.
--Mark
Phil 4:13