Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Did it with Price...  (Read 7971 times)

JohnHolder

Did it with Price...
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2006, 04:46:20 PM »
I said:
[quote name=\'JohnHolder\' post=\'120969\' date=\'Jun 10 2006, 01:39 PM\']
Case in point: On the show that taped immediately after mine, a woman had three incorrect solves over the course of her game <snip> I forget the third one.[/quote]

I remembered that someone had mentioned this episode on the WoF page of jumptheshark.com, so I looked it up.

Her third Moment of Idiocy wasn't an incorrect solve, exactly.  She tried to buy the vowel S.

John

Jay Temple

Did it with Price...
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2006, 12:38:21 AM »
Of the ideas I've heard so far, I really like bringing in contestants who can play the game and dropping the toss-ups. (I'd settle for having one at the beginning and one after every third puzzle.)

I'd make a change in the bonus round: After the LSTRNE are revealed, only let them choose three letters, with at most one vowel, BUT: They reveal each letter, if it's there, before you choose the next one. (And if this doesn't count as a separate change, I'd add that if you call a letter twice, or call LSTNRE, tough luck, that's the call you made.)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Jimmy Owen

Did it with Price...
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2006, 01:00:36 AM »
You can bet "Listerine" will never appear as a bonus puzzle.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Did it with Price...
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2006, 02:18:29 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'121019\' date=\'Jun 10 2006, 09:38 PM\']
I'd make a change in the bonus round: After the LSTRNE are revealed, only let them choose three letters, with at most one vowel, BUT: They reveal each letter, if it's there, before you choose the next one.
[/quote]
I'm not sure why you're making one of the easiest bonus games in the history of the genre even easier.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Did it with Price...
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2006, 09:50:22 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'121023\' date=\'Jun 10 2006, 11:18 PM\']
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' post=\'121019\' date=\'Jun 10 2006, 09:38 PM\']
I'd make a change in the bonus round: After the LSTRNE are revealed, only let them choose three letters, with at most one vowel, BUT: They reveal each letter, if it's there, before you choose the next one.
[/quote]
I'm not sure why you're making one of the easiest bonus games in the history of the genre even easier.
[/quote]
Because it's easy to randomly make changes to game shows when you're a casual fan and have no restrictions like time per act, prize budget, or millions of fans that will switch over to "Entertainment Tonight" if their favorite game show is changed.

Here's something to consider: something along the lines of the Australian version. The daily winner spins for their prize, and must pay out of their winnings for any consonants past three, and they only get one vowel. Each consonant chosen costs $5,000 out of their total winnings. You must call for all of your consonants at the same time, so you can't call for a Q, a Z, a 4 and another Q; see that they came up blank and then call for an R. All at once.

Solve it and win the contents of the envelope. Fail to solve, and you go home with the leavings.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 10:00:04 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

aaron sica

Did it with Price...
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2006, 10:26:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'121020\' date=\'Jun 11 2006, 01:00 AM\']
You can bet "Listerine" will never appear as a bonus puzzle.
[/quote]

No, but it could be a prize puzzle for contestants with bad breath.....;)

MikeK

• Martha!
Did it with Price...
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2006, 12:16:11 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'121032\' date=\'Jun 11 2006, 09:50 AM\']Here's something to consider: something along the lines of the Australian version. The daily winner spins for their prize, and must pay out of their winnings for any consonants past three, and they only get one vowel. Each consonant chosen costs $5,000 out of their total winnings. You must call for all of your consonants at the same time, so you can't call for a Q, a Z, a 4 and another Q; see that they came up blank and then call for an R. All at once.[/quote]
You forgot the Batman symbol. :-)

About this idea, no no no no no.  Please keep anything from the Australian show as far away from the States as possible.  As much as I dislike what our Wheel has become in the past decade, the Aussie show is significantly worse.  Travis' idea would work in my mind if you had returning champs, where a multiple-day winner might risk $10K or $15K to get the info needed to win $25K+.  The inequity of a daily, non-returning champ potentially winning less than either or both opponents doesn't sit well with me.

WhammyPower

Did it with Price...
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2006, 01:15:03 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' post=\'121045\' date=\'Jun 11 2006, 11:16 AM\'] [quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'121032\' date=\'Jun 11 2006, 09:50 AM\']You must call for all of your consonants at the same time, so you can't call for a Q, a Z, a 4 and another Q; see that they came up blank and then call for an R. All at once.[/quote]
You forgot the Batman symbol. :-)[/quote]
And the third Q.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 01:15:21 PM by WhammyPower »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Did it with Price...
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2006, 02:18:09 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' post=\'121045\' date=\'Jun 11 2006, 09:16 AM\']
About this idea, no no no no no.  Please keep anything from the Australian show as far away from the States as possible.  
[/quote]
I'm no fan of the Australian show's prize budget, but there are quite a few lessons in terms of production that we could stand to learn from their show.

I think Travis's idea could kinda work, with a little tweaking. Here's what I'm thinking: Contestant gets three consonants and a single vowel. They get lit up. Then you pull an All-Star Blitz and tell they player they can buy up to two extra consonants for the low low price of $5000 per.

It would never make air because the downer of someone blowing ten grand AND losing the bonus game would not be an acceptable ending to the show, but it would make the round a damn sight more interesting.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Did it with Price...
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2006, 06:10:02 PM »
Since it came up, I have this question about the Australian version. Last week, some guy got on the show, spun up $7,000 and change, and muffed the bonus puzzle. He comes back the next day, wins another $4,000 or so, and can now choose seven consonants and one vowel. He easily solves his puzzle, and I don't remember what happens to him after that.

My question: is that just score money? A five day champion would have at least $10,000 in cash alone, but Larry doesn't say "You've won $13,959 in cash and prizes," leading me to believe that you only take home prizes from winning a round or the Prize Puzzle Flip Up between rounds one and two. If anything, it would be nice to take home a few hundred bucks if someone else managed to solve all three puzzles.
Travis L. Eberle

TimK2003

Did it with Price...
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2006, 09:03:02 PM »
If I had one chance to freshen up WoF...

<*ding* "The Captain has just turned on the 'Fasten Seat Belt' Light>

It's time to send Pat & Vanna out to pasture!  Lets find a host and hostess dynamic duo who are more like Chuck & Susan.  I want a host who can do color commentary as the wheel spins like Chuck did.  I want a hostess who can be a little more animated and do more than clap and/or activate a monitor and does not have to be showy with their outfits du jour.

Perhaps new blood will beget a new attitude and atmosphere for the show.  I'd love someone who will make comments about the ever-changing set and contestant brain farts -- ala a George Gray or David Letterman.

BrandonFG

Did it with Price...
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2006, 09:30:13 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'121234\' date=\'Jun 12 2006, 09:03 PM\']
It's time to send Pat & Vanna out to pasture!  Lets find a host and hostess dynamic duo who are more like Chuck & Susan.
[/quote]
Not to sound like a fanb0i, but it just sounds like it has disaster written all over it. I say that because people have been able to identify with Pat and Vanna for so long, and I have a feeling a lot of people (esp. the elderly) would go apeshit over something like that.

It's almost like how people are gonna jump out of windows when Bob hangs it up.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Robert Hutchinson

Did it with Price...
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2006, 10:18:44 PM »
Putting aside my personal desire not to recreate a game with "Free Spin territory" discussion from the host, and flagless semaphore motions from the hostess, I'm far from sure that replacing Pat and Vanna would be the key to such an adjustment. I especially feel that Pat's natural wit is often restrained by the editing and the current caliber of contestants.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Brandon Brooks

Did it with Price...
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2006, 11:02:25 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'121234\' date=\'Jun 12 2006, 08:03 PM\']
It's time to send Pat & Vanna out to pasture!  Lets find a host and hostess dynamic duo who are more like Chuck & Susan.  
[/quote]
No, no, no, no, no.  That would absolutely kill the show, especially if they got rid of Vanna because they could.  I do think Pat is more dispensible, but the show would suffer some sort of repurcussions.

This of course doesn't speak to their abilities, which of course are pretty good.  I do have to admit that I liked Chuck and Susan better.

Brandon Brooks

Unrealtor

Did it with Price...
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2006, 11:06:36 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'121234\' date=\'Jun 12 2006, 08:03 PM\']
[/quote]

Or, if we can't find a new Chuck and Susan, the board can operate itself and I hear Rolf Benirschke is available...
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."