Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Forfeited/Lost Prizes...  (Read 2401 times)

TimK2003

Forfeited/Lost Prizes...
« on: June 11, 2006, 04:27:13 PM »
Someone posed this question to me and since I didn't know the answer, I will forward this to the Big Board world:

Say on a show like TPIR, where a common contestant could potentially win a semi-load of prizes, if a contestant refuses any or all of their prizes for any reason (does not wish to pay the taxes on a $78,000 RV, has no use for a $3,000 barrel-shaped jukebox, etc...), does the unclaimed prize(s) count against the prize budgets for the show?  Do the prizes get re-offered on a future episode?  Are they simply considered "prizes not won" for all intents and purposes just like actual prizes that were never won?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 04:28:24 PM by TimK2003 »

tvrandywest

Forfeited/Lost Prizes...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 05:23:46 PM »
Prizes not awarded are not expenditures from the prize budget. They are treated similarly to prizes not won.

But because some prizes are purchased as opposed to provided in exchange for promotional consideration (plugs), some, especially those smaller prizes that were purchased, may be re-offered because they are now owned (and collecting dust in a sense) by the production company.

But for large purchased items, for example, cars on TPiR, delivery is not taken by the production company and the purchase isn't completed until they are actually won. The cars shown are borrowed from the dealers for the day. That made Barker's lines at some tapings when cars were not won funny - stuff like "Randy, you better take that one; my garage is full".

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 05:24:46 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Forfeited/Lost Prizes...
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 07:07:52 PM »
But because some prizes are purchased as opposed to provided in exchange for promotional consideration (plugs), some, especially those smaller prizes that were purchased, may be re-offered because they are now owned (and collecting dust in a sense) by the production company.
Some of the purchased items are not considered prizes per se because the contestant does not have an opportunity to win them, e.g. the grocery items in Hole In One. They cannot be won by contestants and there is no promotional deal behind them, they are thus in effect props, not prizes. Right, Scott?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 07:09:50 PM by chris319 »

NickS

Forfeited/Lost Prizes...
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 07:12:21 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'121100\' date=\'Jun 11 2006, 06:07 PM\']
Some of the purchased items are not considered prizes per se because the contestant does not have an opportunity to win them, e.g. the grocery items in Hole In One. They cannot be won by contestants and there is no promotional deal behind them, they are thus in effect props, not prizes. Right, Scott?
[/quote]

Not to pick nits, but since at least some of the grocery items are fee/promo plugs, wouldn't the ROI be astronomical for a $6 box of Tylenol -- therefore, no big deal?

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Forfeited/Lost Prizes...
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 10:17:56 PM »
Not to pick nits, but since at least some of the grocery items are fee/promo plugs, wouldn't the ROI be astronomical for a $6 box of Tylenol -- therefore, no big deal?
If it's a fee item, the Tylenol is supplied for free, rather than purchased. My guess is that they get about $25 per plug.

In the olden days, prize suppliers used to supply copy and a flip (art) card of the Turtle Wax, the Lee Press-On Nails or the York Peppermint Patties. If it were to be part of a pricing game on TPIR or LMAD they would furnish the actual item rather than a flip card.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 10:18:20 PM by chris319 »

tvrandywest

Forfeited/Lost Prizes...
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 01:04:14 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'121100\' date=\'Jun 11 2006, 04:07 PM\']
Some of the purchased items are not considered prizes per se because the contestant does not have an opportunity to win them, e.g. the grocery items in Hole In One. They cannot be won by contestants and there is no promotional deal behind them, they are thus in effect props, not prizes.
[/quote]
Correctamundo. They are props and not prizes. That's a different category than what I was referring to as big prizes (cars) or small prizes (luggage sets, appliances, etc.) The grocery-type products in the games described by brand name are referred to as fee items with scripted plugs that generate cash for the show. The items presented with generic descriptions are not paid plugs.

If it's a fee item, the Tylenol is supplied for free, rather than purchased. My guess is that they get about $25 per plug.
Higher, Bob!!   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 01:07:39 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Forfeited/Lost Prizes...
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 05:01:51 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'121146\' date=\'Jun 12 2006, 12:04 AM\']
Higher, Bob!!   ;-)
[/quote]
So you were the one in the dressing room when Dian was.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

tvrandywest

Forfeited/Lost Prizes...
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 05:35:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'121152\' date=\'Jun 12 2006, 02:01 AM\']
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'121146\' date=\'Jun 12 2006, 12:04 AM\']
Higher, Bob!!   ;-)
[/quote]
So you were the one in the dressing room when Dian was.
[/quote]
It was no big thing.

Randy
tvrandywest.com

narzo

Forfeited/Lost Prizes...
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 11:56:58 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'121075\' date=\'Jun 11 2006, 03:27 PM\']
Someone posed this question to me and since I didn't know the answer, I will forward this to the Big Board world:

Say on a show like TPIR, where a common contestant could potentially win a semi-load of prizes, if a contestant refuses any or all of their prizes for any reason (does not wish to pay the taxes on a $78,000 RV, has no use for a $3,000 barrel-shaped jukebox, etc...), does the unclaimed prize(s) count against the prize budgets for the show?  Do the prizes get re-offered on a future episode?  Are they simply considered "prizes not won" for all intents and purposes just like actual prizes that were never won?
[/quote]

If you take the NBC tour in Burbank they'll take you by an area (at least they did 6 years ago) where you'll see all sorts of 80's era furniture at it's best.  They explain these are all unclaimed prizes from the days when NBC did game shows in daytime.  Looking at the loot, I don't blame the "winners".

cmjb13

Forfeited/Lost Prizes...
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 12:10:40 PM »
[quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'121165\' date=\'Jun 12 2006, 11:56 AM\']
If you take the NBC tour in Burbank they'll take you by an area (at least they did 6 years ago) where you'll see all sorts of 80's era furniture at it's best.  They explain these are all unclaimed prizes from the days when NBC did game shows in daytime.  Looking at the loot, I don't blame the "winners".
[/quote]
I took the tour in May 2003 and I was quite disappointed. Maybe I shouldn't have been with the lack of shows taping there.

They did not show us that area that you mention. The only notables were showing us the studios where Laugh-in? and Carson (and we couldn't even go in, since they were redoing the floors) taped.

I also remember our tour guide describing some pictures of some shows that were hanging on the wall. I remember him saying that he thought Weakest Link had just been cancelled.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 12:13:48 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Forfeited/Lost Prizes...
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 05:06:02 PM »
If you take the NBC tour in Burbank they'll take you by an area (at least they did 6 years ago) where you'll see all sorts of 80's era furniture at it's best.
It sounds to me like they took you past the dressing rooms, eh Randy?

If there actually is furniture left over from the game shows, it sounds like it was the pieces they shipped to Burbank to be displayed on the show and which was likely abandoned upon the show's demise. An "unclaimed prize" would never have left Lenoir, North Carolina to begin with.