Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Could Barker's Successor Be Known?  (Read 8581 times)

sshuffield70

Could Barker's Successor Be Known?
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2006, 05:57:15 PM »
[quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'122428\' date=\'Jun 25 2006, 02:06 AM\']
[quote name=\'MrGameShow\' post=\'122354\' date=\'Jun 24 2006, 11:12 AM\']
But keep in mind.. they had a whole "temp auditions" period for Rod's replacement.. but then Rich got the position.

[/quote]

you know I've had it with the way this very talented announcer has been taken to task on this board.  After Johnny Olsen died there was a time where Gene Wood was fill in before an unknown named "Rod Roddy" took over.  

OK kids, where is your "evidence" that Rich Fields is not qualified for this job, or at least is less qualified than someone else.  Evidence being the key word, please show how his vocal talents are lesser than some other hack.
[/quote]

Wait a sec here.  First off, what we do know is Johnny Olson and "Hot Rod" were professional announcers before their time on TPIR.  Rich Fields is a friggin' meteorologist by trade.  At least he might be better at meteorology than some of the schlubs that claim to be doing so in Dallas.

Rich isn't that bad on the surface.  It is possible that the same people behind Whammy (and Newton's behavior) are behind Fields' delivery, and thus he sounds so crackin' high pitch to some of you.

remlap

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2006, 06:36:47 PM »
I think Rich Fields would do better hosting a show than annoucing one.

The guy this topic is about, I dislike I can get both NBC and CBS morning shows here in the UK on my satellite dish, and his hosting style is bleh, much better just to switch over to NBC and watch Al Rocker :D
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 06:38:18 PM by remlap »

dzinkin

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2006, 07:16:25 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'122478\' date=\'Jun 25 2006, 05:11 PM\']
What I was chastizing narzo for was the post in question that I cited before (in which he called us all "brats"). Harvey noted it recently on ATGS as another example of his perceived hypocrisy of Matt, Dave, and Chris in banning him from the board for being a troll, yet allowing people whom he (and only he) considers trolls to continue posting.
[/quote]
Excuse me?  You're worried about the opinion of a guy who traveled several hundred miles just to sneak back onto a board where he's not wanted, and who truly believes that his alleged "right" to post to that board is guaranteed in the Constitution of the United States of America?

If you're going to criticize narzo for posting something that provokes Harvey, then we might as well shut down the whole damn board now, because Harvey considers the mere existence of this board, of some of its members, and of the moderators to be provocation.

Criticize narzo's post if you must (and I'm not thrilled with the characterization of our membership as "brats" either), but your criticism should be based on the post's merits or lack thereof, not on what a bigoted, obsessed, drooling knuckledragger from Dayton thinks.

tvwxman

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2006, 08:20:26 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'122457\' date=\'Jun 25 2006, 01:22 PM\']
The way the linked-to post was framed, Dave Price was "lured" to CBS by being offered Barker's job (with FremantleMedia) starting with the 2009 season. First, this tells us that Barker will be unconditionally forced out by the 2009 season, i.e. his retirement is a done deal in 2009. Second, it tells us that all of the Harrah's emcees who have been honing their skills on the stage show have been dealt out of the job. Third, it tells us that CBS is using employment with an outside contractor as a bargaining chip for employment with CBS. Fourth, it tells us that every executive at Fremantle has gone into a coma to allow CBS to dictate that an unknown quantity with zero emcee or live audience experience will take over their mainstay U.S. game show. Fifth, the fact that we are hearing about this from an Internet gossip page and not directly from the parties involved is just a tad bit questionable. Yes, improbable things have happened before, but if this one comes to pass the TV business is in worse shape than we all thought.
[/quote]

Agreed on everything above, esp considering that, yes, we're basing this on internet speculation. Knowing Dave Price (not personally, but hey, we weathermen do travel in the same small circles), it would not surprise me at all that he's the one sharing the questionable 'fact' that he's getting TPIR when Bob stops. My point is simply that the CBS suits are silly enough to let him have a whack at it, despite better hosts being out there. Hell, i'd even go so far to bet that they attempt to pull something off like Julie Chen's double duty as hosts of both Early Show and Big Brother.

And yes, Chris, the TV business 'is' in worse shape than we think.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2006, 09:47:15 PM »
I think Rich Fields would do better hosting a show than annoucing one.
That may indeed be the case. He does have experience emceeing state lottery shows (none of which I have seen) but I did see the clip he was in where the Big Wheel was moved. He does drop the cheesy announcer schtick when interacting with others on camera, which gives rise to the question, why not drop the cheesy announcer schtick all the time?