Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Could Barker's Successor Be Known?  (Read 8582 times)

DrBear

Could Barker's Successor Be Known?
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2006, 08:54:03 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'122425\' date=\'Jun 25 2006, 12:14 AM\']
I don't know, for some reason I'm thinking of the end of the movie "Network."
[/quote]

So who opens fire, Barker's Beauties or their lawyers?
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

TimK2003

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2006, 09:53:26 AM »
[quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'122428\' date=\'Jun 25 2006, 02:06 AM\']

you know I've had it with the way this very talented announcer has been taken to task on this board.  After Johnny Olsen died there was a time where Gene Wood was fill in before an unknown named "Rod Roddy" took over.
[/quote]

Many of those on the board I am sure agree with you that Rich Fields *is* a talanted annoucer.  However, most announcers don't fit with every announcing job out there.  Just like how game show hosts are not a good fit for *every* game show.  Simply put, Rich Fields is not that good of a fit on TPiR.  Another example of a poor announcer/show fit, IMHO was John Kramer doing "The Newlywed Game".  He sounded too abrasive and loud, yet when he did "The Weakest Link", he was an excellent fit.

In regards to Ron Roddy being an "unknown" prior to succeeding Johnny Olsen on TPIR, lets look at Rod's resume as to shows heard or seen across the entire country:

•  SOAP
•  WHEW!
•  HIT MAN
•  BATTLESTARS
•  PRESS YOUR LUCK (EDIT  -- How did I forget this one initially???)
•  THE NEWLYWED GAME (special ABC Week)

not to mention a few fill-in gigs and pilot ep gigs.

Now lets look at Rich Fields' *national* resume, Pre-TPiR:

<crickets chirping>

I rest my case.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 10:29:06 AM by TimK2003 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2006, 10:15:39 AM »
Many of those on the board I am sure agree with you that Rich Fields *is* a talanted annoucer. However, most announcers don't fit with every announcing job out there. Just like how game show hosts are not a good fit for *every* game show. Simply put, Rich Fields is not that good of a fit on TPiR.
I can't imagine a show where his over-the-top delivery, his shouting, his sustaining of every long vowel and his exaggerated inflection would be appropriate. All of those things are within his control. If he would just turn off the vocal gimmickery he might be halfway decent.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2006, 10:17:10 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'122438\' date=\'Jun 25 2006, 08:53 AM\']
In regards to Ron Roddy being an "unknown" prior to succeeding Johnny Olsen on TPIR, lets look at Rod's resume as to shows heard or seen across the entire country:

•  SOAP
•  WHEW!
•  HIT MAN
•  BATTLESTARS
•  PRESS YOUR LUCK (EDIT -- How did I forget this one initially???)
•  THE NEWLYWED GAME (special ABC Week)

not to mention a few fill-in gigs and pilot ep gigs.
[/quote]
Happens to the best of us.

Was Rod doing both concurrently, or was PYL cancelled when Rod got the TPiR job (I always forget)?

Doug
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 10:33:12 AM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

TimK2003

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2006, 10:27:38 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'122441\' date=\'Jun 25 2006, 09:15 AM\']
I can't imagine a show where his over-the-top delivery, his shouting, his sustaining of every long vowel and his exaggerated inflection would be appropriate.
[/quote]

WWE?

PYLW

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2006, 10:54:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' post=\'122433\' date=\'Jun 25 2006, 06:13 AM\']
Soap, for which Rod first gained any attention, debuted ten years earlier[/quote]

Just a simple correction, it was eight years earlier at the time. However, that doesn't make your point incorrect, as I remember that Rod got A LOT of voice-over work to do, and he was also on T.V. a lot promoting the show (He was one of its biggest fans.), so it's hard for fans to not remember him as the Soap announcer. Plus he was using that voice on Press Your Luck, so if they didn't recognize him on Soap, they'll surely remember him from Press Your Luck, which was on I believe 30 MINUTES before TPiR...

tvwxman

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2006, 10:57:23 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'122427\' date=\'Jun 25 2006, 02:54 AM\']
Did you not read what I posted before? Are you even aware that I used to work in daytime network television? First, please explain how a contract can be voided by someone who is not a party to that contract. How can a contract between Bob Barker and FremantleMedia be voided by CBS? [/quote]

I don't think CBS will void a contract over this....but hell, in this day and age, stranger things have happened.

With all due respect, Chris, I think the rules have changed a little. You're absolutely right in who Barker does his dealings with, and who ultimately cuts the checks..... However, if and when Barker hangs it up, AND CBS decides to keep the cash cow going, CBS is 'likely' going to 'suggest' who they'd like to see try out for the role of host on TPIR. And 'likely', Dave Price's name is going to be 'suggested'. He's not a local yokel as you called him, he's the nationally-seen weatherman on the same networks daily early morning news show.

Now, whether or not Fremantle listens to CBS is another story. But i'd bet good money that the selection of the new host of TPIR will be handled A LOT differently than it used to be. Which I'm assuming in the good old days of G/T, B/E, H/Q, and the rest, was "Here's a show we have in Development : X will be hosting it."

Thinking back to the way LMAD 2004 was developed, I remember an uproar here over the massive list of folks who should have been selected to host the show instead of Billy Bush..... he was picked because that's who NBC wanted, not Monty. And ultimately, we know who got the final call....

I honestly (and unfortunately) believe that CBS will try the same forceful stunt when Barker retires.

Matt (who, on the record, thinks Dave Price is WRONG for the show. So is Rich Fields as host).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 10:58:58 AM by tvwxman »
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

BrandonFG

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2006, 11:08:42 AM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' post=\'122442\' date=\'Jun 25 2006, 10:17 AM\']
Was Rod doing both concurrently, or was PYL cancelled when Rod got the TPiR job (I always forget)?
[/quote]
Seems like it might've been concurrent. He started TPiR around early-1986, didn't he? January/February? PYL would've had about 9 months left.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2006, 11:35:05 AM »
Something that's been bugging me...

I can totally see CBS pushing for the "Early Show" weatherman to get the Price gig, but when his last name is PRICE, you're just asking for viewers to dismiss it as being a corny stunt that he got the job because of his last name.

If they want to promote (and cross-promote!) from within, Saturday co-anchor Russ Mitchell would be a stronger choice.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 11:35:30 AM by ChrisLambert! »
@lambertman

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2006, 01:22:15 PM »
The way the linked-to post was framed, Dave Price was "lured" to CBS by being offered Barker's job (with FremantleMedia) starting with the 2009 season. First, this tells us that Barker will be unconditionally forced out by the 2009 season, i.e. his retirement is a done deal in 2009. Second, it tells us that all of the Harrah's emcees who have been honing their skills on the stage show have been dealt out of the job. Third, it tells us that CBS is using employment with an outside contractor as a bargaining chip for employment with CBS. Fourth, it tells us that every executive at Fremantle has gone into a coma to allow CBS to dictate that an unknown quantity with zero emcee or live audience experience will take over their mainstay U.S. game show. Fifth, the fact that we are hearing about this from an Internet gossip page and not directly from the parties involved is just a tad bit questionable. Yes, improbable things have happened before, but if this one comes to pass the TV business is in worse shape than we all thought.

Billy Bush..... he was picked because that's who NBC wanted, not Monty. And ultimately, we know who got the final call....
Neither you nor I were privy to the negotiations, but it's possible that Monty (the producer) couldn't come up with anyone better. LMAD was a limited series to begin with, and we all saw how Billy Bush worked out.

Had Puzzlers gone to series in 1980, the emcee would have been one Pat Sajak, who likewise had zero game show experience at the time. The stakes would have been much lower with Puzzlers, which may or may not have lasted 26-weeks (or as it turns out, not at all). With TPIR you're talking about replacing an emcee who has been associated with the show for 30+ years, and a show with much higher visibility at that.

DrBear

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2006, 03:59:05 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' post=\'122451\' date=\'Jun 25 2006, 10:35 AM\']
Something that's been bugging me...

I can totally see CBS pushing for the "Early Show" weatherman to get the Price gig, but when his last name is PRICE, you're just asking for viewers to dismiss it as being a corny stunt that he got the job because of his last name.

[/quote]
Hmmm...think Randy West might want to change his last name to Right?
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2006, 04:20:26 PM »
[quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'122428\' date=\'Jun 25 2006, 03:06 AM\']

you know I've had it with the way this very talented announcer has been taken to task on this board. [/quote]

If Rich Fields is "very talented," Patrick Wayne was the best host in the history of Tic Tac Dough.

(And this is from someone who doesn't mind Rich all that much, but still feels he shouldn't have gotten the job.)

OK kids, where is your "evidence" that Rich Fields is not qualified for this job, or at least is less qualified than someone else.  Evidence being the key word, please show how his vocal talents are lesser than some other hack.

Look at some of the people he was up against, and ask me that question again.

If that's not "evidence," I don't know what is.

While Rich may be a fair announcer, I can think of at least 20 other announcers who would have been better suited for the job.

As far as I'm concerned, narzo, you have no right to criticize any of us.

As a matter of fact, if anyone has noticed, narzo's had one of his posts cited by Harvey and Chartier as their reason why they consider their board superior to ours. Why? Because the message they've apparently gotten from your post is that we don't deal with trolls, and they feel that because of that they should be let back on the board (although we all know it's not the only reason).

So, narzo, why don't you do us all a favor and take a hike. And take Soria with you, please.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2006, 04:34:31 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'122471\' date=\'Jun 25 2006, 01:20 PM\']
So, narzo, why don't you do us all a favor and take a hike. And take Soria with you, please.
[/quote]
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that telling Narzo to leave because you don't like his opinion is just as hypocritical as Narzo himself telling us to stop bagging on Rich Fields because he doesn't agree with our opinion of him.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2006, 04:54:01 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'122471\' date=\'Jun 25 2006, 03:20 PM\']
[/quote]
I was with you until this.  This is completely unfair.  Soria's a tool and gets off on being one; narzo just expressed an opinion.  While it is an unpopular one, it's a valid one.  He shouldn't be chastized for thinking Rich Fields is being treated harshly since he's obviously a fan.

I will add this--no, Rich Fields isn't the most qualified, and he could be better.  But I think though we as a community are so harsh on him because the brass passed up an obviously more qualified candidate that posts here frequently.

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 05:00:38 PM by Brandon Brooks »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2006, 05:11:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' post=\'122475\' date=\'Jun 25 2006, 04:54 PM\']
I was with you until this.  This is completely unfair.  Soria's a tool and gets off on being one; narzo just expressed an opinion.  While it is an unpopular one, it's a valid one.  He shouldn't be chastized for thinking Rich Fields is being treated harshly since he's obviously a fan.
[/quote]

I wasn't chastizing narzo because of his opinion. It is valid, and he is entitled to it. I don't agree with it entirely, but I don't deny him it. (Maybe I shouldn't have lumped him together with Soria, but still.)

And in response to you, Chris, I wasn't telling narzo to take a hike because of his opinion.

What I was chastizing narzo for was the post in question that I cited before (in which he called us all "brats"). Harvey noted it recently on ATGS as another example of his perceived hypocrisy of Matt, Dave, and Chris in banning him from the board for being a troll, yet allowing people whom he (and only he) considers trolls to continue posting.

Those were my reasons- take them for whatever you feel they're worth.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022