Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How long must you wait between game show appearances?  (Read 2200 times)

JohnHolder

How long must you wait between game show appearances?
« on: June 30, 2006, 12:19:06 PM »
Hi folks,

This is the subject of a debate on the wheeloffortune.com board between two former WoF contestants (one of whom is myself).  I think it's an industry-wide rule that you can't appear as a contestant on more than one game show in a year, as determined by air dates, and no more than three shows in ten years.  He says each show sets its own rules, and he could have been on another game show six months after his Wheel appearance aired.  

Does anyone know which of us is correct?  And if he's right, and each show has its own rules, what does TPiR do?  How long are you ineligible to appear on TPiR after being on another show?

Thanks,

John

beatlefreak84

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 02:28:31 PM »
He is correct here.  Each show does indeed set its own rules.  What you said (and what Wheel has in place) is the usual standard (and this is what TPIR follows as well), but each show can set its own appearance requirements.  For example, DoND requires at least a 2 year wait between shows before you can appear on it, and there was no requirement (AFAIK) for the World Series of Pop Culture.  I think that Jeopardy says that no more than three shows in five years for its second requirement.

Hope that helps!

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 02:36:11 PM »
Until someone in the industry corrects me (which they might have to do), there is no industry-wide rule.  When game shows were mostly network propositions instead of syndicated, the policy of a given show was whatever the network's was.  And (IIRC, and I may well not), syndicated offerings of that time sometimes followed the policy the station they originated from (a champion forced to retire on syndicated TJW being a good example).

These days, it's pretty much piecemeal.  GSN offerings are boilerplate, but everything else it all over the map.

To answer the other question, from the PiR FAQ:

"Contestants must be 18 yrs. of age and not have appeared on The Price Is Right before."

edit: well crap, that's what I get for answering the doorbell in the middle of a reply.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 02:37:07 PM by parliboy »
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."