Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rich Fields -- How Does He Rate?  (Read 12738 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Rich Fields -- How Does He Rate?
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2006, 05:59:58 PM »
How can you guys not think Barker, at 82, is not the king of game show host.
Bob Barker is a superb game show emcee, no question about it. Speaking in the abstract, if (and this is a big "if") the allegations in various lawsuits are true, I have major problems with an employer who fires people because they wouldn't perjure themselves for him in a deposition.

dzinkin

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2006, 06:15:49 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'122707\' date=\'Jun 28 2006, 05:47 PM\']
Yeah, I'd like to hear this supposedly underhanded way that Fields got his job.
[/quote]
Seconded.

FeudDude

« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2006, 06:17:10 PM »
[quote name='Playpal' date='Jun 28 2006, 04:08 PM' post='122702']
Its amazing to me that after all this time, you guys still find joy in bashing Rich Fields.[/quote]

I don't "find joy" in "bashing" Rich.  The question was brought up, so I chimed in with what I consider to be constructive criticism.

And no, I am not the one person who thinks he is the best ever, but do feel he has done a great job, and feel he was the best choice for TPIR.  Another poll on his popularity???? C'mon.... what purpose does this serve?

I don't know exactly what Chris's intention was in starting this thread, but all I can say is that perhaps one or more of the TPTB will read this thread, and maybe, just maybe, they'll help him work on the bad habits that a number of us thinks he has.

The majority of you are still sore that your buddy, and a frequent poster on this board .....did not get the job. Fair enough.

I can't speak for others on this board, but my feeling that Randy should've gotten the job have little if anything to do with the fact that he posts at a message board where I mostly lurk.

But after Rich has proven to be a decent and strong announcer, why do you continue to hate him so much?

First off, I don't have anything personal against Rich.  And it's only your opinion that he's a "decent and strong announcer" - I don't think he's absolutely terrible, but after hearing some of his early TPiR performances and hearing his recent work on GSM, I think that he's currently not announcing at his full potential on TPiR.  I also think there are others (not just Randy) that would have done a better job.

He is doing a decent job, regardless of your personal feelings.

Someone could just as easily say "He is doing a terrible job, regardless of your personal feelings."  What makes you think that your opinion holds more weight than anyone else's?

Try and be objective.

Go back and read most of the posts in this thread, and you'll find that we ARE being objective.  You seem to be the one who can't deal with the fact that people are criticizing your beloved Rich.

Personally,I can't stand Randy West's announcing style and feel he is the one that is like a cartoon character announcer.  No offense to Randy personally, but that is my opinion.

If that's your opinion, fine, but just because other people disagree with it doesn't mean that they're biased or that they think there's some kind of conspiracy.  I could understand where you're coming from with the "cartoon character" comment, as his announcing does have a certain wackiness to it.  But that's just his personality showing through, and I think that style is easier on the ears and more well-suited to the show than Rich's nasally screaming.

He had equal chance at the job, perhaps even more of a chance as he knew the producres going in etc.  Obviously ... they did not think he was the best choice.  The same goes for the folks that cast the GSM gig.    He lost that to Rich as well.  So how can he be as bad as you all say?  I am so tired of all the hinting around at how he got the job, being somehow shady???  Yet no one comes through with any evidence of any such thing.  So...put up or shut up!  Tell us this secret, unfair way, he got the job, once and for all, or stop the unfair rumors.  Its unfortunate that people can spread lies like that, without any proof.  Face it!

I don't see anyone "spreading lies" in this thread.  I do remember hearing some buzz about how his looks may have had something to do with why he was hired, but I've taken that with a grain of salt.

Rich was the better choice, and the majority of the viewing audience agrees.

Proof?

Bob loves the job he is doing.  But you guys don't like Bob either do you.  Hmm, must be a pattern of disdain for anyone with talent.  How can you guys not think Barker, at 82, is not the king of game show host.

I was unaware that being 82 automatically made you "the king of game show host".  He may have hosted the show for over three decades, but that doesn't mean that he's beneath criticism.  I do think that Bob gets a bit too much flack from some people over his hosting (his behind-the-scenes antics are another issue), but I don't think he's this perfect, untouchable hosting deity either.

Give it a rest already people! I have been coming here and visiting this site for a long time, quietly watching all the post.  I have ignored most of this type of thing.  But you know.. its Truly amazing how so many people talk out of both sides of their mouths on this subject.    Yes, I am a Rich Fields fan.  And sadly....a lot of you have "pretended" to be.

Um...what?

[quote name='TLEberle' date='Jun 28 2006, 05:40 PM' post='122706']
I was unaware Randy was even up for the GSM gig, since he's out doing the TPIR Live thing.[/quote]

FWIW, Randy said that he was the in-studio announcer on the LMaD episode.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 06:18:30 PM by FeudDude »

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2006, 07:01:07 PM »
There are some of us who like Rich Fields and Randy West...
insert signature here

TimK2003

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2006, 07:02:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Playpal\' post=\'122702\' date=\'Jun 28 2006, 03:08 PM\']
Obviously ... they did not think he was the best choice.  The same goes for the folks that cast the GSM gig.    He lost that to Rich as well.  So how can he be as bad as you all say?  I am so tired of all the hinting around at how he got the job, being somehow shady???  Yet no one comes through with any evidence of any such thing.  So...put up or shut up!  Tell us this secret, unfair way, he got the job, once and for all, or stop the unfair rumors.  
[/quote]

Exsqueeze me, Mr. Pal.  In one sentence you say that Randy flat out lost the GSM job to Rich.  Yet 2 sentences later, you're asking for evidence on how Rich "allegedly" got the TPiR gig.

Where is *your* evidence that proves that Randy actually lost the GSM gig to Rich, or if even Randy had even thrown his hat into the ring for the job to begin with???

Not to be defending or bashing either person, I believe that Mr. West's plate is/was pretty full when the GSM gig was going on, what with doing announcing gigs at Harrahs, and perhaps some involvement with the DoND shows left to tape for the season and the travel time between all of his gigs. Meanwhile, Mr. Fields was doing TPIR announcing (if TPiR was not on vacation break by then), and thus pretty much hanging around Beverly & Fairfax when GSM was looking for an announcer across the lot.

In other words, Randy probably has/had more in his Day Planner that Rich does/did (That should tell you something right there).

The way you spin news to one side of the spectrum, you might have a long career ahead of you at CNN!
(ObGame Shows -- CNN now occupies the building where Goodson/Todman was once a tenant at 6430 Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 07:05:03 PM by TimK2003 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2006, 07:41:39 PM »
Don't feed the troll, folks.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Playpal

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2006, 10:48:49 PM »
I'm not a troll, and I am not Rich.  I'd suspect he has neither the time, nor the inclination for boards such as these.  But I do know of him, and his work.  When I speak of the job he has done, I speak of his pleasing the mass TPIR audience.  Not, all of you.   He had mighty big shoes to step into, and wonder if any of you could have done better, since you seem so quick to criticize.  He has fallen under so much scrutiny, and I don't think its been fair.  That's all.  So I speak up for my opinion, and sure got your attention.  I am just of quite a different opinion than most of you that love Mr. West.   Why not ask him the real deal.... on GSM, and lets see what he says.  And as a matter of fact, Rich was very busy.. why do you think half the shows were done in POST??? He was working.   So excuse me for disagreeing with you. Because I do, I am called a troll??  That is okay, call me what you want.  I am proud to be a Rich fan.      

And still.... no offering up from those of you with BIG Secrets regarding Rich's TPIR job.    hmm...
Guess that silence says it all...huh?.

clemon79

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2006, 11:24:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Playpal\' post=\'122729\' date=\'Jun 28 2006, 07:48 PM\']
So excuse me for disagreeing with you. Because I do, I am called a troll??
[/quote]
It has nothing to do with the opinion you present, and everything to do with the inflammatory and taunting nature with which you are presenting it.
no offering up from those of you with BIG Secrets regarding Rich's TPIR job.
Because nobody suggested there were any, save for the knowledge that Randy was the fan favorite in the CBS polls, and Rich got offered the job anyhow, despite proving both in his fill-in auditions and in actual practice to be a poorer announcer.

I fully expect your response to be filled with rambling invective (I may use invective, but at least I'm direct about it), and I further fully expect to be embarrassed when your actual identity is discovered that I've taken your troll bait, so at this time I will bid you good evening.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 01:56:35 AM by clemon79 »

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2006, 11:36:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Playpal\' post=\'122729\' date=\'Jun 28 2006, 09:48 PM\']
I'm not a troll, and I am not Rich.  I'd suspect he has neither the time, nor the inclination for boards such as these.  
<snip, snip, snip>  

[/quote]
You see, buried in your junk, you actually have a valid point, which is one I made earlier.  I agree that people are harsher on Rich because he "won out" over a MUCH more superior announcer in Randy.  (Folks, seriously... Burton Richardson was damned good on Russian Roulette, but he should be taken to task A LOT more than Rich.)  But you're so inflammatory in your posts that your posts just sound stupid.  So I guess this is what we can expect out of you.

Branodn Brooks
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 11:37:31 PM by Brandon Brooks »

SteveR

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2006, 11:48:15 PM »
It would also help if Rich knew how to read a poem.

clemon79

« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2006, 11:48:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' post=\'122733\' date=\'Jun 28 2006, 08:36 PM\']
(Burton Richardson was damned good on Russian Roulette, but he should be taken to task A LOT more than Rich.)
[/quote]
I think I've bagged on Burton plenty, and would be pleased to continue to do so. And I rank him far below Rich Fields. (Mainly because I really honestly can't think of a serious announcer (the Colin Quinns and the Gilbert Gottfrieds and the Bob Golthwaits and the other folks who are trying to sound bad intentionally don't count) that I would rank below Burton. When he's doing his usual pukey style (and I agree, he was quite good on Russian Roulette when he WASN'T, but that's WAY more the exception than the rule), he's the worst. Period.

I simply knock Rich because I was violently opposed to his appointment to the Price job when it happened, and it entertains me that history is proving that I (and many others here) was (were) right.

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2006, 12:01:45 AM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'122714\' date=\'Jun 28 2006, 07:01 PM\']
There are some of us who like Rich Fields and Randy West...
[/quote]

Quite possibly the first post I agree with in this thread.

rebelwrest

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2006, 12:11:17 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'122715\' date=\'Jun 28 2006, 07:02 PM\']
The way you spin news to one side of the spectrum, you might have a long career ahead of you at CNN!
(ObGame Shows -- CNN now occupies the building where Goodson/Todman was once a tenant at 6430 Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood)
[/quote]

I don't know, Fox News hasn't fixed that big lean in their building ever sinced they moved in 10 years ago.

There the forum is balanced.

Back on topic.  Seriously, I don't care.  The announcer is a big part of the show, but Bob, the contestants, and the games are more important to the Price Is Right.  CBS found an announcer who is loud enough, speaks audibly, and does not have a bad voice.  That is good enough for them.
My favorite Win Ben Stein's Money Category:

Where Am I Doc? Urinalysis Restaurant.

clemon79

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2006, 12:23:03 AM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'122738\' date=\'Jun 28 2006, 09:11 PM\']
CBS found an announcer who is loud enough, speaks audibly, and does not have a bad voice.  That is good enough for them.
[/quote]
True. Sad that they didn't aim higher.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2006, 12:30:04 AM »
Disclaimers abound here: personally, I voted that Rich could tone it down a little, especially since I thought his prize reads in tryouts were good. I have nothing wrong with Mr. Playpal as of yet (and if he's a troll, forgive my ignorance) - he is entitled to his opinion, but he stepped into one of my least favorite of the logical fallacies:

He had mighty big shoes to step into, and wonder if any of you could have done better, since you seem so quick to criticize.

I think the reams of trusted critics in many fields and their readers/listeners/viewers would have something to say about that. I don't think even 1/4 of all food critics could cook as well as they wish their reviewees would, but I think they know a good fettucini when they eat one. Same goes for a lot of us and the aspects of game shows.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck