Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chain Reaction Info  (Read 5283 times)

itiparanoid13

Chain Reaction Info
« on: June 29, 2006, 08:09:48 PM »
OK, here's the basics.

Set: Looks like a mixture of Weakest Link and Millionaire.  The stage is a giant circle, and the audience is surrounding it.  Two podia with a giant neon thing in the middle (podia are clear) and the host stands opposite of them.  No music was going through.

Host: The host is now Dylan Lane from Fuse.  He tried, but he just wasn't that great.  However, it was taping one, which took 3 hours to tape ONE episode alone, so maybe he'll do better tomorrow.

Gameplay: Same as original, except money is given for each word guessed.  Speedchains are a four word chain with the middle out of it.  The team that finishes the chain gets to play the speed chain.  Unlike the pilot, no money is given at the start.

Chain 1- $100 for word AND speedchain
Chain 2- $200 for word AND speedchain

Commercial here, and we meet the team.

Chain 3- $300 for word AND speedchain.

Commercial

Chain 4- You can bet up to $500 on each word.  Only one chain in the betting round.  Whoever has the most money win.

Bonus- Same as the original.  If you haven't seen the original, think Whose Line's 3 Headed Broadway Star, except between two people making a question to the answer given.  The player guessing is blindfolded.  90 seconds to get the words.  If you get 7, you double your main game money.  10 triples it.

It was a pretty fun taping.  I met a lot of nice people (Queen from these boards) and got to meet a lot more.  The set was really small actually, and nearly looks identical to Millionaire, just without the seat.  I've seen clips of the original, and it's a bright and happy show.  This is dark and foreboding.  Dillan tried, but he just wasn't that good.  I don't know if I'd place this above Lingo, but it's currently their 2nd best original.  I'd probably put it 4th best they've made, behind Lingo, Russian Roulette, and BallBreakers.  The audience really wasn't in to it either.  They had to caddle prod them to make noise.  Tomorrow at 11AM is the next taping.  People should come out.  If you do, be sure to hunt me down (black glasses, shorts, sandals, really tall).  In review, it wasn't that bad, but it wasn't that great either (IMO)  I know things will improve tomorrow.  That's just how first episodes are.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 09:11:20 PM by itiparanoid13 »

Matt Ottinger

Chain Reaction Info
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 10:49:45 PM »
If it takes you three hours to tape one 30-minute episode of Chain friggin' Reaction, there's something seriously wrong with you.  Further, if you are a cable network that's paying people who are this clueless about production value vs production time for a genre like ours, then you're pretty out of touch as well.

GSN ought to have more original programming on it than any other entertainment cable channel period.  With the right producer, they could probably have done 65 shows for the amount of money they're spending on this first week.  No one is going to watch Chain Reaction for its slick production values.  They're going to watch it for the GAME.  They're also not going to put up with a cheerfully awkward host just because he's a good-looking stud.  Pick cheerfully awkward good-looking studs for your contestants and get a host who knows what he (or she) is doing.  There have to be some out there.

Why is this so hard to understand?  They got Lingo about 80% right, it's the hottest show they've got, and they don't even know which 80% they got right!

OK, I'm done now.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
Chain Reaction Info
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 11:02:30 PM »
Set: Looks like a mixture of Weakest Link and Millionaire

Davies, get off the GD trite 'dramatic Millionaire atmosphere' kick.  
For a word game like Chain Reaction ? God Almighty.

Overused 'Millionaire' cosmetics notwithstanding, it sounds fun. I have my hopes up that this'll actually be good. I'm sure Dylan couldn't be worse than Blake Emmons...

--Jamie

mystery7

Chain Reaction Info
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 11:39:06 PM »
Sounds like they've got some recycled set pieces from the pilot too, if Alex's descrip of the podia/lecterns/stands is right. Kinda translucent with a red neon tube down the center of one and a blue tube in the other?

And that blindfold.

The Bob Stewart tradition of cheap lives on....

Clay Zambo

Chain Reaction Info
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 11:56:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'122829\' date=\'Jun 29 2006, 10:49 PM\']
Pick cheerfully awkward good-looking studs for your contestants[/quote]

Well, heaven knows we've showed up to audition...  ;)
czambo@mac.com

Robert Hutchinson

Chain Reaction Info
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 02:11:10 AM »
If my assumptions are right (six missing words per chain? must solve entire speedchain to win $100?), the theoretical maximum payout would be $21,600. Of course, I'll be amazed if a team goes into the bonus round with more than $5,000.

Also, I want Mr. Ottinger to rant more.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

itiparanoid13

Chain Reaction Info
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 07:19:51 PM »
Here's the set and set/host.

Don't get me wrong, I like this set, but it doesn't seem to fit for a word agme where the max you'll win is about $20,000.  If this was for, say, a new 2 Minute Drill, I'd love it.  But for a lighthearted word game, could be better and different.

tvwxman

Chain Reaction Info
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 07:23:52 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'122934\' date=\'Jun 30 2006, 07:19 PM\']
Here's the set and set/host.

Don't get me wrong, I like this set, but it doesn't seem to fit for a word agme where the max you'll win is about $20,000.  If this was for, say, a new 2 Minute Drill, I'd love it.  But for a lighthearted word game, could be better and different.
[/quote]
MUCH better than the pilot set, which was quite barren. And Dylan can't be worse than Tim Vincent as a host....

And I too would like Matt Ottinger to rant more.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Matt Ottinger

Chain Reaction Info
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 07:28:39 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'122935\' date=\'Jun 30 2006, 07:23 PM\']And I too would like Matt Ottinger to rant more.[/quote]
Well, see, now I feel guilty.  I say they shouldn't have an awkward young stud as a host, and he goes and gets in a car wreck.  Now I just feel bad for everybody involved.

Don't worry, I'm sure I can work up other rants.  If it helps, you could probably cobble together some of my Ricki Lake comments.

Queen of Nerdocrombesia

Chain Reaction Info
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 07:28:44 PM »
[quote name=\'mystery7\' post=\'122838\' date=\'Jun 29 2006, 11:39 PM\']
Sounds like they've got some recycled set pieces from the pilot too, if Alex's descrip of the podia/lecterns/stands is right. Kinda translucent with a red neon tube down the center of one and a blue tube in the other?
[/quote]

Pretty much, yes.  There may have been some decorated frosted glass added to the front, especially on the host's set piece.

[quote name=\'mystery7\' post=\'122838\' date=\'Jun 29 2006, 11:39 PM\']
And that blindfold.
[/quote]

That has changed.  Whereas Tim Vincent actually tied a ribbon blindfold around the contestant in the pilots, here the contestant put on the blindfold, now resembing a sleeping mask.
"These days, if a show doesn't make it in a couple of weeks, it goes out in the alley.  Faith has become too expensive."

--Garry Moore, 1979

BrandonFG

Chain Reaction Info
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 07:56:56 PM »
It looks like they took the Russian Roulette set, covered the drop zones, and put some contestant desks and a host podium on it.

Not complaining, just saying. The Millionaire look is really out of place here, and four years past its prime.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tvwxman

Chain Reaction Info
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 09:00:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Queen of Nerdocrombesia\' post=\'122939\' date=\'Jun 30 2006, 07:28 PM\']
That has changed.  Whereas Tim Vincent actually tied a ribbon blindfold around the contestant in the pilots, here the contestant put on the blindfold, now resembing a sleeping mask.
[/quote]

Well, 'thats' going to make a huge difference.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Robert Hutchinson

Chain Reaction Info
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 09:59:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'122938\' date=\'Jun 30 2006, 07:28 PM\']Well, see, now I feel guilty.  I say they shouldn't have an awkward young stud as a host, and he goes and gets in a car wreck.  Now I just feel bad for everybody involved.[/quote]

You should do whatever you want, Matt. Anything at all. It's a GOOD thread, Matt. It's a real good thread.

(Man, no one's gonna get that.)

Seeing pictures of the set, I am less perturbed. Yeah, it's spotlights and frosted glass, but the design seems pretty simple, geometrically.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

PYLW

Chain Reaction Info
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 10:15:23 PM »
I found the show/format to be ok, but all of the stalling (It was very obvious that they didn't test any of the graphics at all.) just killed the mood for everyone. The warm-up announcer was sort of annoying (Although his Fred Sanford imitation was pretty funny.), with his whole "THIS CANDY IS LIKE DRUGS LOLZZZZ UR DRESSED IN SLUTTY CLOTHES SO U GET 4329856294386 TONS OF CANDAY1!!". The host, Dylan Lane wasn't too bad for his first job, but I can't understand how he was hired over other people. I left after the first epsiode, simply because I couldn't stand the stalling (The idiot girls had to get re-takes because they had to look excited, even though they enjoyed staring at the male team more than playing.). Plus, they chose two stupid teams. The girls were too busy making terrible jokes (And they were COMEDIANS?!) and shaking their butts. The boys were just plain stupid, repeating words the girls had said! Atleast pick smart contestants, jeez. And thus endth thy (boring) rant.

*Edit* ouch, tons of spelling errors...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 10:21:47 PM by PYLW »

Matt Ottinger

Chain Reaction Info
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 11:06:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'122960\' date=\'Jun 30 2006, 09:59 PM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'122938\' date=\'Jun 30 2006, 07:28 PM\']Well, see, now I feel guilty.  I say they shouldn't have an awkward young stud as a host, and he goes and gets in a car wreck.  Now I just feel bad for everybody involved.[/quote]

You should do whatever you want, Matt. Anything at all. It's a GOOD thread, Matt. It's a real good thread.

(Man, no one's gonna get that.)[/quote]
Don't make me send you to the cornfield.

(And don't MESS with me on pop culture references!)