Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chain Reaction Host in Car Wreck  (Read 6975 times)

calliaume

Chain Reaction Host in Car Wreck
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2006, 09:42:25 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'123038\' date=\'Jul 1 2006, 05:08 PM\']
I'm hardly an insider, but didn't most shows in the 70s and 80s shoot live-to-tape? Would that have *anything* to do with it, the fact that most games feel like they must be "perfect", in that any spontaneous action (and potential bloopers) are re-shot?
[/quote]
For better or worse, this probably started with Millionaire.  I went to one of the summer of '99 tapings (Tuesday episode of week two, I believe), and it took at least an hour and a half to tape a half-hour episode.  There were some issues because everybody was new at it, but mostly because the podium kept having to be wheeled on and off stage for the Fastest Finger question, so that Regis had a clear view of the prompter when he read the question.

He wasn't particularly happy about this (remember, he'd done nothing but live shows for the past ten years or more), and was obviously fuming about how long this was taking (and making comments to Gelman, who was also in the audience).  I happened to be sitting right next to the prompter (his left), and deliberately avoided looking up at him while he read, to make sure he wouldn't goof it up and further delay the thing.

Honestly, I don't think anything else took that long to tape, short of mechanical glitches, until then.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2006, 11:32:41 PM »
Maybe that's why I have some trouble with some of the newer shows. I've already lowered my expectations concerning brilliant celebrities and well-thought out formats, but you're right about one thing..a lot of the fun and danger of "anything can happen" tv has gone. In search of perfection (like Deal Or No Deal), too many shows are patch jobs with no authentic flow and reaction. It wasn't surprising to read a while back about someone grousing about Three Wishes visiting their town. When some of the key prizes/surprizes were unveiled, the producers asked for several re-takes until the citizens gave the level of excited reaction they were looking for. When tv games start feeling more like they're being played for fun at a terrific party with a couple of buzzed guests instead of coming out as perfectly packaged as Shindler's List...leaving the audience about as excited...they'll be more fun to watch.  Hosting talent that's too raw and time prepping celebs also crossed the mind, but dammit, game shows are not competing with Crash for Oscars. If production is more important than entertainment...... ahh, I'm turning into a cranky old man (What is this with ranting lately? Must be contageous).  I could be wrong about this, but one thing that saddens me is taking from the old People magazine article (and other stray talk) on Mark Goodson that he spent a lot of time in analysis feeling afraid of losing his touch and - more important - that his achievements weren't worthy of his incredible fortune...it makes you wonder how much of that came from so many snobs in the business belittling game shows in comparison to high-concept scripted drama? I wonder how often I've Got A Secret beat Studio One in the ratings? Make the show fun and entertaining with a sense of real-time excitement first, then elevate the production to the point where it doesn't overshadow the fun.

itiparanoid13

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2006, 07:04:11 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'123047\' date=\'Jul 1 2006, 08:05 PM\']
It all depends on the show.

Wheel, Jep, Feud : A weeks worth in one day.

My ep of Weakest Link : 4.5 Hours.

Chain Reax should be done A LOT quicker than 3 hours. Short of a massive computer meltdown, there should be no excuse for this. Everything else : finding contestants with the right amount of pep ; host with least amount of mumbling ; audience with energy...should be taken care of before you press record.
[/quote]

You basically hit the nail on the head.  I can tell you what the issue was.  The computer broke constantly.  They didn't write enough bonus round words (Only 13, which was kind of dumb if you ask me).  The male team of contestants talked over the host constantly.  They had to redo simple cues constantly.  We redid the opening at least 4 times.  The most redos, about 6 or 7, was for Dylan saying "Congratulations ______ (for spoiler sake), you solved that chain.  You get to play the first speedchain".  The winning team didn't quite understand the mechanics of the bonus game as they messed up a lot.  Tons of parts had to be refilmed.

The audience was also an issue.  I was around a great group of TV workers and people who have been to many TV tapings.  We understand how you're suppose to act.  It took effort to get the rest of the audience to applaud or moan.  When the stage manager has to tell the audience to moan if a team doesn't win the bonus round, that's a bad sign.  I appreciate their efforts for perfection, but there needs to be a certain level of spontaneity.  

I don't know if I mentioned this in the original post either, but on this version of the show, they WILL give you the last letter.  I never saw the old version, but I believe that they wouldn't give it to you.  Also, I figured that with Davies, the bonus round buzzer would have had some giant neon light pulsating through the center of the podium when you ring it.  It's a simple bell you'd find on a hotel lobby desk.  Just amazed me.  Latest word is that Dylan is doing fine, so let's see how he does.  I'm sure he would improve with time, but I'd rather see one of GSN's old hosts like Kennedy, Walberg, or Newton; someone with more experience; take this.

itiparanoid13

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2006, 07:15:23 AM »
By the way, someone who's been to more tapings, can you explain this to me?

On Thursday, the audience was mostly terrible, so they let a paid audience in on Friday.  Sadly, the paid audience of actors got in first and the people who actually went out of their way to get tickets were stuck outside.  I got in for other reasons, but that's beside the point.  Do they usually let the paid actors in before the people who requested tickets?  Based on Thursday, I sort of understand why they did it, but it still pissed me off a bit.

cmjb13

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2006, 07:52:10 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'123084\' date=\'Jul 2 2006, 07:15 AM\']
On Thursday, the audience was mostly terrible, so they let a paid audience in on Friday.  Sadly, the paid audience of actors got in first and the people who actually went out of their way to get tickets were stuck outside.[/quote]
So that's why they were not let in? A friend of mine went and was quite angry when he was turned away. Maybe they should use a disclaimer when getting ticket online that they may or may not get in?

I don't know who is to blame for this: GSN, Embassy row, or TVtix.

Do they usually let the paid actors in before the people who requested tickets?
When I went to the rehearsal of Deal or no Deal (when it taped at CBS), since it wasn't an actual show, it seemed to be people who got their tickets online for free. For the actual tapings at CBS, they let the paid members in first, then people who received their tickets online (and even that seemed varied since people where getting them from different places) Sunset Gower also had a paid audience, but it seemed to be a mixture of free ticket holders as well. (I'm not sure of the audience loading procedure as I arrived during the middle of a taping.) It would make sense that the paid members take priority because the producers know they will provide the desired reaction.

While not totally applicable, I do recall a year or two ago, Price was shorthanded a few seats (I want to say at least 30). So they brought paid audience members in. But of course, that was after regular audience members were let in.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 07:57:18 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2006, 08:18:14 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'123083\' date=\'Jul 2 2006, 07:04 AM\']I don't know if I mentioned this in the original post either, but on this version of the show, they WILL give you the last letter.  I never saw the old version, but I believe that they wouldn't give it to you.[/quote]

Non-straddling game + caliber of contestants = yeah, they're gonna have to do that.

"Is it TAB? TAD? TAG? TAR? TAM?"

(You'll note I gave them some credit by using actual English words.)
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2006, 10:34:43 AM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'123083\' date=\'Jul 2 2006, 07:04 AM\']
 They didn't write enough bonus round words (Only 13, which was kind of dumb if you ask me).  [/quote]
Must...Avoid...Ranting...

I'm just finding it harder and harder to believe that Davies is responsible for this baby.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2006, 12:18:24 PM »
I don't know if I mentioned this in the original post either, but on this version of the show, they WILL give you the last letter.

Oy. They didn't even do that on the cheap USA version.

--Jamie

Steve McClellan

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2006, 04:46:49 PM »
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'123084\' date=\'Jul 2 2006, 04:15 AM\']
Do they usually let the paid actors in before the people who requested tickets?[/quote]
The only shows I've been to that used paid audiences were Pyramid and H2, and in both cases, ticket holders were let in first, so they could send some of the paid people home and save a bit of coin.

HYHYBT

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2006, 03:00:32 PM »
...ticket holders were let in first, so they could send some of the paid people home and save a bit of coin.
If it makes sense, it's not allowed.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

TimK2003

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2006, 07:17:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve McClellan\' post=\'123137\' date=\'Jul 2 2006, 03:46 PM\']
[quote name=\'itiparanoid13\' post=\'123084\' date=\'Jul 2 2006, 04:15 AM\']
Do they usually let the paid actors in before the people who requested tickets?[/quote]
The only shows I've been to that used paid audiences were Pyramid and H2, and in both cases, ticket holders were let in first, so they could send some of the paid people home and save a bit of coin.
[/quote]

"Win Ben Stein's Money was taped in front of a live paid studio audience" as well.  I got to see the show from someone giving away free tickets in front of Graumans Chinese Theater.  Despite having to leave that area immediately to be able to make the taping at Hollywood Center Studios on time, I didn't see too many other 'tourists' there.  It was at least a 90% paid audience.  

Surprising since WBSM had a few seasons under it's belt, you'd think it would draw a helluva lot more people from the general public by then.

And yes, there is a big difference between sitting in an audience full of tourists or people coming on their own free will vs. an audience full of SAG members (TPIR audiences *not* included).  Kinda like the difference between crowds for a Cubs game at Wrigley vs. crowds at a Wimbledon match.

uncamark

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2006, 03:42:44 PM »
The Meredith "WWTBAM" taping I attended a couple of years ago got in two shows in about two hours.  The only really noticeable dead time was when the AOL connection went down for Ask-the-Audience--the ATA cue kept playing for two minutes or so, Meredith joked about catchy the music was and they put up a "looks like we lost our connection" message on her prompter--until lo and behold, the stats came in!

It seems to me that "WWTBAM" can get in four shows in a day with ease, but I guess that's because they've been doing it for a while.  There also wasn't any attempt to really smooth things out, but that could be because they're a syndicated show.  Which is why all of the futzing over a cable show is hard to understand.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2006, 05:25:30 PM »
Getting paid to attend TV shows?

Where do I sign up?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

ilb4ever2000

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2006, 05:59:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'123820\' date=\'Jul 10 2006, 05:25 PM\']
Getting paid to attend TV shows?

Where do I sign up?
[/quote]

Let me guess. You get paid $10 and a cookie?

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2006, 11:02:52 PM »
Actually, if somebody offered me $50 to sit in the audience for "Wait 'Til You Have Kids!!' again, I'd probably turn it down.
@lambertman