Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Making copies  (Read 1495 times)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
Making copies
« on: June 30, 2006, 12:39:48 PM »
A few game show sites I've seen make mention of the exorbitant prices the Museum of Television and Radio (both in NY and CA) charges to make copies of the shows in their archive; "an arm and a leg", etc., but no exact numbers.

So my question is: How much would it cost for a copy of one half-hour show? I've contacted the MTR with my question, but no answers.

Any help would be appreciated.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

dzinkin

Making copies
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 01:10:36 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'122894\' date=\'Jun 30 2006, 12:39 PM\']
So my question is: How much would it cost for a copy of one half-hour show? I've contacted the MTR with my question, but no answers.
[/quote]
Several of us have asked about this during our visits to the MT&R.  As of several years ago, the price was $750 per half hour, and I can't imagine that it's gone down since then.

Remember that all such requests also must be accompanied by written permission from the copyright holder for each show you want dubbed.

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
Making copies
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 01:50:03 PM »
As of several years ago, the price was $750 per half hour, and I can't imagine that it's gone down since then.

Whoa, God that sounds high. Shouldn't that be $75 an hour?
The Museum of Broadcasting Communications in Chicago charges only $60 for 2 hours on DVD-R if you can get copyright holder permission, and several things have made it out of there.

Unfortunately, it's closed to the public right now.

--Jamie
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 01:57:08 PM by Jimmy Fiono Coyne »

Matt Ottinger

Making copies
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 02:08:17 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'122894\' date=\'Jun 30 2006, 12:39 PM\']
I've contacted the MTR with my question, but no answers.[/quote]
The website FAQ says they just don't do it.  It would seem unlikely that there would be an unofficial policy that they don't tell you about, especially one that would potentially mean revenue for their organization.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

dzinkin

Making copies
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 02:27:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Fiono Coyne\' post=\'122905\' date=\'Jun 30 2006, 01:50 PM\']
As of several years ago, the price was $750 per half hour, and I can't imagine that it's gone down since then.

Whoa, God that sounds high. Shouldn't that be $75 an hour?
[/quote]
No, $750 per half hour was the actual number given to those of us who asked.  (We have one member -- who's currently in the Isolation Booth -- who, back in ATGS, actually tried to get a bunch of us to pool our money to buy a dub of one episode.  Naturally, he didn't get very far.)  I always figured that it was set high on purpose, to leave a door open for serious researchers who could afford that price while discouraging a pile of requests from average visitors.

Of course, as Matt points out, the publicly stated policy is to prohibit it entirely, so either they've closed even that door or they just don't discuss it except in cases of what they consider to be serious research.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 02:29:05 PM by dzinkin »