Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Match Game 60s Music Question  (Read 2900 times)

mmb5

Match Game 60s Music Question
« on: July 03, 2006, 10:07:27 PM »
I got this E-mail today:

We have been racking our brains trying to figure out if the older version of the match game show was the game show that used the "third man theme"?? during the show when they had to write their anwsers down.  This was also the theme song used back in the 60's for the late afternoon movie that came on every Sunday.

The afternoon movie in question would be from either D.C. or Baltimore?  Since I don't recall music from the few episodes I've seen, I can't help her.  Can anyone else help her?

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

DrBear

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 10:59:41 PM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'123214\' date=\'Jul 3 2006, 09:07 PM\']
I got this E-mail today:

We have been racking our brains trying to figure out if the older version of the match game show was the game show that used the "third man theme"?? during the show when they had to write their anwsers down.  This was also the theme song used back in the 60's for the late afternoon movie that came on every Sunday.

The afternoon movie in question would be from either D.C. or Baltimore?  Since I don't recall music from the few episodes I've seen, I can't help her.  Can anyone else help her?

--Mike
[/quote]
If memory doesn't play me false. there was no music while the contestants wrote their answers during the 60s version; Gene read the question and we heard the pens scribble, drop and the contestants raised their hands to show they were done. The only music was the "Swingin' Safari" theme.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 10:10:38 AM »
If memory doesn't play me false.

Nope, it doesn't.

The two episodes I have use no music while the players write down their answers.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 12:59:55 PM by Matt Ottinger »
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Bob Zager

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 06:58:26 PM »
[/quote]
If memory doesn't play me false. there was no music while the contestants wrote their answers during the 60s version; Gene read the question and we heard the pens scribble, drop and the contestants raised their hands to show they were done. The only music was the "Swingin' Safari" theme.
[/quote]

While the theme song was the only music heard on the show, a new theme song was used starting around 1967 or 1968.  I believe there is a color episode of original Match Game, featuring the second theme song, in the library of the Museum of Television and Radio.

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 12:09:17 AM »
[quote name='Bob Zager' date='Jul 6 2006, 05:58 PM' post='123488']
[/quote]
[/quote]

While the theme song was the only music heard on the show, a new theme song was used starting around 1967 or 1968.  I believe there is a color episode of original Match Game, featuring the second theme song, in the library of the Museum of Television and Radio.
[/quote]

The later theme was first used sometime around 1968, if not exclusively in 1969.  In 1967 I was still getting it locally in KC (albeit in black and white at 3:30 on a one-day delay because of "Matches N' Mates" at 3:00) and it still used "Swingin' Safari" that year.  It's unfortunate no one can get ahold of that later theme music as a recording with an actual name; I want to hear it and getting to the Museum is literally a distant dream for me.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel