Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What would you rather watch?  (Read 3484 times)

cmjb13

What would you rather watch?
« on: July 02, 2006, 08:12:45 AM »
A good-looking contestant who doesn't know how to play the game or someone who isn't "hollywood" type (not hideously ugly) who knows how to play the game?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 08:12:54 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

tvwxman

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 09:18:39 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'123088\' date=\'Jul 2 2006, 08:12 AM\']
A good-looking contestant who doesn't know how to play the game or someone who isn't "hollywood" type (not hideously ugly) who knows how to play the game?
[/quote]
Hands down, the latter. IMHO, thats' why Millionaire succeeded.... Joe Everyman got his 15 minutes of fame in the hotseat, NOT some dumbasaboxofhammers LA waiter looking for a big break.

Good Luck , 1 vs 100! You're going to need it.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 10:34:04 AM »
Someone who knows how to play the game. It actually gives me something to root for and (surprise!) might make the game engaging.

I'd rather see a back-and-forth matchup then someone win by a landslide just because their opponent prolly can't even spell their own name.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 12:22:25 PM »
Well, I think it's better when someone can play the game, having said that, producers have been making these kinds of value judgements since the days of Herb Stempel.  Maybe I have higher standards of beauty, but I don't really consider every contestant on, say, Lingo, as that good looking.  Not good looking and can't play well---that's the worst.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 12:46:34 PM »
I absolutely would want to watch someone who knows the game, as opposed to some dumbass who doesn't know what 2+9 is.

(That's why I don't watch Lingo).
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 01:24:08 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'123088\' date=\'Jul 2 2006, 05:12 AM\']
[/quote]
Is anyone who would choose the former option actually stupid enough to admit it publically?
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'123112\' date=\'Jul 2 2006, 09:46 AM\']
(That's why I don't watch Lingo).
[/quote]
What DO you watch?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

cmjb13

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 03:50:34 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'123114\' date=\'Jul 2 2006, 01:24 PM\']
Is anyone who would choose the former option actually stupid enough to admit it publically?[/quote]
Considering the posts seen here at times, absolutely.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Tony

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 08:26:40 PM »
The Lingo method of contestant selection, the driving out of all spontaneity in pursuit of perfection (thus taking inordinate amounts of time), the addition of elements which take away from the game, and the hiring of mediocre or less-than-competent hosts (Ricki Lake, who IMO should never again be allowed on television, much less any game show) and announcers (Burton Richardson and, to a somewhat lesser extent, Rich Fields) when much better talent is available for the same price, is why I cannot muster much enthusiasm for The Game Show Reinaissance of 2006.

If the state of the genre remains like this, I may turn in my game show fandom card permanently.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 01:26:29 PM »
Someone who knows how to play the game.  It drives me nuts when I see someone do something stupid when I know I wouldn't "waste" my chance.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

jdhernandez

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 06:53:12 AM »
HEY!

...not all Lingo contestants are the "Hollywood" type, and I'm not a total dumbass... although I can be a real smartass. Watch yourselves at GSC, to whoever is going. ;-P
-Jason Hernandez; aka "Dimples"

Tomarken: "...somebody else could do this job!"

Rod Roddy: "Yes, I'm afraid that's true."

~Rod making a joke after Peter complains that it's Labor Day and he shouldn't be working on Press Your Luck.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 01:58:36 PM »
[quote name=\'jdhernandez\' post=\'123232\' date=\'Jul 4 2006, 03:53 AM\']
...not all Lingo contestants are the "Hollywood" type, and I'm not a total dumbass... although I can be a real smartass. Watch yourselves at GSC, to whoever is going. ;-P
[/quote]
I hope you're not falling into the Brakus / Pyramid trap of defending the show just because they kicked you a few bucks. Yes, you're right, but you realize that you are the exception, not the rule.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

jdhernandez

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 04:06:11 PM »
Ahhhhhhh!!! Trap!!!!!

Hehe, oh my sister and I consistently harp on how the typical contestants on that show don't do well on the show, or look really dumb. We also feel the same way about most PiR contestants who play Ten Chances. :-p

Ahhhhhhh! Don't use the "1" more than once!

To continue on the original topic, it goes both ways for me. While I hate seeing such stupid contestants on a game show, it is somewhat entertaining for me to watch because I sit there and think to myself, "Wow, I could do better than these people!" I know that's probably not a good way to think while watching a show, but it definitely is entertaining. This sounds even worse, but has anyone been SO bored one night that they created a drinking game for both "Knightmare" and "Deal or No Deal"?

I'm in a room.... *takes a drink*
-Jason Hernandez; aka "Dimples"

Tomarken: "...somebody else could do this job!"

Rod Roddy: "Yes, I'm afraid that's true."

~Rod making a joke after Peter complains that it's Labor Day and he shouldn't be working on Press Your Luck.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 02:39:22 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'123088\' date=\'Jul 2 2006, 08:12 AM\']
[/quote]

There's gotta be some sort of happy medium, right?

I'll go for the latter, just because it's easier to watch someone who knows what the hell they're doing then someone who can't grasp the fact that yellow circles mean the letter's out of place.

But then again, just because you can play the game doesn't mean you're necessarily gonna be good at it.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2006, 11:15:22 AM »
Considering the posts seen here at times, absolutely.

You know, it seems to me that there's always someone that makes a post like this.

And, at least to me, it's not all that funny anymore.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com