Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Aussie WoF says goodbye  (Read 2263 times)

CherryPizza

Aussie WoF says goodbye
« on: July 06, 2006, 01:51:22 AM »
So, the final episode of the Australian Wheel of Fortune was recorded last night, and will air later this month.

For those not in the know, this show has always been in great denial of its history, largely due to multiple host sackings/embarrassing replacements, and the long-time hostess quietly quitting during a period of sick leave and never being mentioned on air. I was hoping that there would be at least a few clips from old episodes (the show ALWAYS used to do this for special events back in the days before John Burgess was given the boot as host) or a bit of fanfare. However, other than casually saying goodbye, and loading the wheel with excessive 'mystery wedges', the show didn't really get the send-off it deserved.

In the studio, there was a good vibe, with John Deeks (the announcer/warm-up guy) offering some refelections on the show's history, and there were plenty of "thanks for being part of this"-type messages (and Krispy Kreme doughnuts aplenty). It was arranged for the host and hostess to be available for photographs after the taping of the last show and plenty of people were lined up with cameras. Only a couple of people got to actually take shots before the executive producer showed a total lack of soul and made security evict everybody. Deeksie fell in love with my W.O.F. watch that I bought on eBay, and he was all set to trade me some souvenirs from the set for it... but again, being rushed out in a hurry stopped that from happening.

All up, it was a good experience being there to say goodbye, but I just wished that there was a bit more fuss on-camera though.

remlap

Aussie WoF says goodbye
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 05:09:12 AM »
Hey Cherry anyword in the Aussie press on what Seven is going to lumber Larry with?

Did they tell you the air date before you left the tapings?

Cheers

pownster

Aussie WoF says goodbye
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 07:12:17 AM »
Well, the day finally arrived - Wheel of Fortune limped off the air after a fantastic 25 and a bit years on Australian television. Considering the show holds the mantle as the longest continuously-running game show on Australian TV, it had a very low key finale. It is sad to see it go! :-( And the remarkable thing is - it wasn't ratings that killed it - it was the demographics.
Chris Powney

Australian Game Show Home Page

http://members.iinet.net.au/~powney/gameshow/homepage.htm

CherryPizza

Aussie WoF says goodbye
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 08:50:32 AM »
[quote name=\'pownster\' post=\'125470\' date=\'Jul 28 2006, 06:12 AM\']
Considering the show holds the mantle as the longest continuously-running game show on Australian TV, it had a very low key finale. [/quote]

*nods* I just found it strange that it was never mentioned on the show until today that the show was ending.

There certainly wasn't a lot of nostalgia, or even much reflection on the show's history (Yes, I realise that this would be hard with a host and hostess who've only been on the show for 6 months... but even John Deeks' contributions to the refelection were just a few seconds during the closing credits).

When the Australian Sale of the Century had its 15th Anniversary, there was an hour-long special with old faces and old material being broadcast. I've always thought that the Wheel deserved something like this, but sadly, the Australian Wheel of Fortune is probably the TV show that is in the biggest denial of its history. Starting with John Burgess' sacking, Tony Barber's disastrous stint as host and Adriana Xenides bowing out during one of her extended periods of 'sick leave', the show has always seemed to have a hush-hush policy about these old hosts ever existing. Since Rob Elliott was also sacked without a chance to say goodbye and Steve Oemcke is destined to be forgotten... well, the milestones and special events have never been the same

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Aussie WoF says goodbye
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 09:20:09 AM »
[quote name=\'pownster\' post=\'125470\' date=\'Jul 28 2006, 04:12 AM\']
Well, the day finally arrived - Wheel of Fortune limped off the air after a fantastic 25 and a bit years on Australian television. Considering the show holds the mantle as the longest continuously-running game show on Australian TV,
[/quote]
So, wait, if it was continuously running, where was it and who was hosting before Emdur took over? I didn't think it was airing the Friday before, was it?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

pownster

Aussie WoF says goodbye
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 10:29:07 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'125482\' date=\'Jul 28 2006, 08:20 AM\']
[quote name=\'pownster\' post=\'125470\' date=\'Jul 28 2006, 04:12 AM\']
Well, the day finally arrived - Wheel of Fortune limped off the air after a fantastic 25 and a bit years on Australian television. Considering the show holds the mantle as the longest continuously-running game show on Australian TV,
[/quote]
So, wait, if it was continuously running, where was it and who was hosting before Emdur took over? I didn't think it was airing the Friday before, was it?
[/quote]

I guess I should clarify my comments - the network regarded 2005 as a "hiatus" - Wheel didn't actually air at all during that year. I guess strictly - there was only 24 years of actual programming.
Chris Powney

Australian Game Show Home Page

http://members.iinet.net.au/~powney/gameshow/homepage.htm

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Aussie WoF says goodbye
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 10:55:34 AM »
[quote name=\'pownster\' post=\'125484\' date=\'Jul 28 2006, 07:29 AM\']
I guess I should clarify my comments - the network regarded 2005 as a "hiatus" - Wheel didn't actually air at all during that year. I guess strictly - there was only 24 years of actual programming.
[/quote]
There you go. Which, make no mistake, is still impressive, but it also might answer Pizza's question about why the show's legacy wasn't celebrated more on the last episode: with the year off, it was a legacy that had already ended even before this attempt to revive it. So I'm guessing the network felt it was wiser to let it go out with a whimper rather than call attention to false marketing.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

CherryPizza

Aussie WoF says goodbye
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 08:51:41 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'125486\' date=\'Jul 28 2006, 09:55 AM\']
There you go. Which, make no mistake, is still impressive, but it also might answer Pizza's question about why the show's legacy wasn't celebrated more on the last episode.
[/quote]

Um, it wasn't a question, it was a comment. Also, like I've already said twice, the reason the show's legacy was not celebrated was because the show would never admit to its past. It's had this attitude for the last 10 years, ever since John Burgess was sacked. The state of denial has been in play for much longer than the start of the 2005 hiatus