Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hosts who just stopped hosting  (Read 6647 times)

Argo

Hosts who just stopped hosting
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2003, 06:18:38 PM »
Speaking of Hosts who just stopped hosting... what happened to Jack Narz?  I saw on a website that after concentration he forcefully retired or something... he played a round of P+ when Tom was hosting, but thats it i think.

Its pretty sad that the only shows we get to see him on now, are when GSN reruns NYSI, and maybe a few early ones. His 5 year stint on Concentration would be fun to see.

Thanks

zachhoran

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2003, 07:26:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Argo\' date=\'Sep 6 2003, 05:18 PM\'] Speaking of Hosts who just stopped hosting... what happened to Jack Narz?  I saw on a website that after concentration he forcefully retired or something... he played a round of P+ when Tom was hosting, but thats it i think.

Its pretty sad that the only shows we get to see him on now, are when GSN reruns NYSI, and maybe a few early ones. His 5 year stint on Concentration would be fun to see.

Thanks [/quote]
 I think Jack Narz voluntarily retired from hosting as of the late 70s. Chris C., was he offered the hosting gig for Monty's Beat the CLock?, and chose instead to announce and co-produce the show?

Don Howard

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2003, 09:27:50 PM »
I think Jack Narz voluntarily retired from hosting as of the late 70s.

He did not. This comes from Jack's very lips. He was really bummed out that no one wanted him to host a show after Concentration ended. A direct quote from the man about this can be found in the book Come On Down!

zachhoran

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2003, 09:40:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Sep 6 2003, 08:27 PM\']
I think Jack Narz voluntarily retired from hosting as of the late 70s.

He did not. This comes from Jack's very lips. He was really bummed out that no one wanted him to host a show after Concentration ended. A direct quote from the man about this can be found in the book Come On Down! [/quote]
 That sucks that people would say that regarding Jack Narz. Other hosts who were around his age at the time kept plugging along for several years afterward(and one still does, doesn't he)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2003, 09:47:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Argo\' date=\'Sep 6 2003, 03:18 PM\'] Its pretty sad that the only shows we get to see him on now, are when GSN reruns NYSI, and maybe a few early ones. [/quote]
 You see him now as leadoff man on Match Game more than you do anything else on GSN, alas.

His 5 year stint on Concentration would be fun to see.

Believe me, you're preaching to the choir here. More than a few of us would kill to see The Game Of Puzzles And Prizes again.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2003, 09:50:39 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 6 2003, 09:47 PM\'] [quote name=\'Argo\' date=\'Sep 6 2003, 03:18 PM\'] Its pretty sad that the only shows we get to see him on now, are when GSN reruns NYSI, and maybe a few early ones. [/quote]
You see him now as leadoff man on Match Game more than you do anything else on GSN, alas.
 [/quote]
True, and on that same episode of Beat the Clock they've shown three years in a row as announcer.

Believe me, you're preaching to the choir here. More than a few of us would kill to see The Game Of Puzzles And Prizes again.

No kidding. The Museum of TV and Radio has a Narz ep. in the archives, which I'm gonna pull up to watch next time I go. That was one good show.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2003, 09:51:04 PM by PeterMarshallFan »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2003, 05:59:52 AM »
I think Jack Narz voluntarily retired from hosting as of the late 70s. Chris C., was he offered the hosting gig for Monty's Beat the Clock?, and chose instead to announce and co-produce the show?
To my knowledege he was not offered the MC position on BTC. My hunch is that Frank Wayne gave him a job on the show knowing that he could probably use the work. As for his retiring voluntarily, why would someone turn down a gig which pays a couple large per day for working on average just one day per week?

SimpsonGeek

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2003, 12:53:42 PM »

Not happening anytime soon, talks have went further in the possible revival of Concentration. I've seen that we've tapped Sony to produce it, but their still trying to negotiate a deal. I can say that GSN has tried for the Classic Concentration package(Trebek) before, but sombody here dosen't want to give it to them.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2003, 12:54:09 PM by SimpsonGeek »

zachhoran

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2003, 07:41:37 PM »
[quote name=\'SimpsonGeek\' date=\'Sep 7 2003, 11:53 AM\']

Not happening anytime soon, talks have went further in the possible revival of Concentration. I've seen that we've tapped Sony to produce it, but their still trying to negotiate a deal. I can say that GSN has tried for the Classic Concentration package(Trebek) before, but sombody here dosen't want to give it to them. [/quote]
 Heck with the Trebek run, let's see the Narz run if GSN ever gets a hold of Concentration(a big IF to be sure). Unlike some of the older Q&A shows(TJW, TTD, Jeopardy 1978, etc.), there's not a whole lot of dated material about COncentration in any era, save for the contestants and host wardrobe and possibly certain expressions used in the rebuses being idioms or names of the time

Card Shark

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2003, 06:54:34 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Sep 6 2003, 04:50 AM\'] [quote name=\'TheInquisitiveOne\' date=\'Sep 6 2003, 01:47 AM\'] My thing is, well before the days of GSN, my only exposure to this man was on $ale, both in the original NBC run and the USA reruns. [/quote]
Sure, you caught him later in his career. Hell, we have a generation right now who has never seen Allen Ludden on first-run television, or doesn't remember Bob Barker with dark hair.

I believe last time someone had news from Perry, he was completely content and enjoying retirement. [/quote]
 Yes, there was a message board, The Daily Ping On Card Sharks, in which someone had tracked down June Perry, his wife. This was about 3 years ago. For a few days, June and other members on the board had continuous correspondence. Rather than me give a synopsis, I found the link, so here it is. It gives great insight into his current life. http://www.dailyping.com/archive/2000/06/01/
Adam Strom

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2003, 10:52:52 AM »
Regarding Bert Parks, his enthusiastic, booming style was perhaps well suited to Miss America in the '50s and '60s, but some feel he typified the GS host stereotype that cynics always fell back on.  He was one of the hosts of the 1981 People's Choice Awards--one of the worst-ever editions of that event, with lousy musical production numbers involving Jo Anne Worley and Jamie Farr among others--and I remember Bert overdoing it a bit in his intro of Pam Dawber.

It would be interesting to see a film of Yours For A Song if any exist, just to see how he moved things along.  Also, I happened to think about Jan Murray last night--his birthday's coming soon--and wondered if they ever saved any of his Charge Account shows.  I have a TV Guide from 1962 that shows that program listed as being in color, but doubt if it exists in that form now.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel