Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "And now, here's the host of Password...  (Read 2577 times)

TwoInchQuad

"And now, here's the host of Password...
« on: July 09, 2006, 05:35:18 PM »
...Mike Wallace?!?"

It's true-- six years after they passed him over for Bud Collyer on TTTT, Goodson-Todman were negotiating to bring him to the helm of another show.  In spring of 1962, when "Password" was announced as moving to the 6:30 PM Sunday slot for the next fall season, there was a concern in the CBS executive suites at the idea of the same host turning up on shows that were only 30 minutes apart on the schedule.  And since Ludden was hosting the ever-popular "College Bowl" at 5:30, the press releases at the time indicated that when the show moved, he would not be moving with it.

Now it may be sheer serendipity, but there were at least two items published in the major papers in late April of that year that indicated that Wallace was to be tapped for the job.  For his part, Wallace would neither confirm or deny those stories at that time, but it was then that he announced he would be leaving "PM East", with no confirmed project to follow.

Ultimately, of course (and perhaps in response to the fact that his negotiating position was rapidly evaporating) , Ludden decided that getting paid for 6 shows a week made better sense than trying to feed his family on the paycheck for "College Bowl", no matter how much prestige that role carried.  As one columnist put it: "He obviously likes to work."

As for Wallace, well-- he found other work, but it's no wonder he tends to speak ruefully about his game show career-- the poor guy got the shaft **twice** from Goodson-Todman!

-Kevin

Wallace might have been an interesting choice-- but although he's very erudite, I think he might have come off as a bit dry for "Password".  Of the G-T stable at that time, I think I'd have tried Robert Q. Lewis.

calliaume

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 05:44:18 PM »
Ludden was associated with the show far more than Wallace, and I doubt he would have stuck it out.  Wallace was deeply unhappy with his career by that point (most of his income was from Parliament cigarette ads), and he would lose his son in August of that year.  He then made his move back to news, even offering to buy up the Parliament ads (that's why CBS decided to hire him; he was all set to anchor a local newscast in New York).

Neumms

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 05:58:14 PM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' post=\'123715\' date=\'Jul 9 2006, 04:44 PM\']
Wallace was deeply unhappy with his career by that point (most of his income was from Parliament cigarette ads), and he would lose his son in August of that year.  He then made his move back to news, even offering to buy up the Parliament ads (that's why CBS decided to hire him; he was all set to anchor a local newscast in New York).
[/quote]

It's an interesting story, how his son's death made him question what he was doing and pursue journalism. Was that local newscast "Nightbeat," in which he interviewed newsmakers and pounded heaters on a stark black set? He interviewed great people--his interview of Frank Lloyd Wright turns up on a documentary, as do others--but also the show LOOKED awesome.

calliaume

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 07:40:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'123719\' date=\'Jul 9 2006, 04:58 PM\']
It's an interesting story, how his son's death made him question what he was doing and pursue journalism. Was that local newscast "Nightbeat," in which he interviewed newsmakers and pounded heaters on a stark black set? He interviewed great people--his interview of Frank Lloyd Wright turns up on a documentary, as do others--but also the show LOOKED awesome.
[/quote]
Nightbeat was gone by that time, as was his ABC successor The Mike Wallace Interview.

I did get one fact wrong -- the local newscast he would have hosted was for KTLA, not in New York.  Per Air Time: The Story of CBS News, by Gary Paul Gates (written in 1977, when CBS News was the class of the field).
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 07:40:33 PM by calliaume »

whizofthequiz

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 07:58:43 PM »
Let me add to the mystery. Here's a quote from the 1988 book "This is CBS - A Chronicle of 60 Years." by Robert Slater. (Page 206)

"After listening to Mark Goodson, Walace turned down a chance to host on a new Goodson-produced show to be called "Match Game." Altogether, Walalace refused $150,000 in income for the 1962-63 season in his talks with Cullman (regarding his cigarette commercials) and Goodson. He wanted to have a clean slate when he approached the television networks. Be having one, he just might be able to convince them to take him on as a television news correspondent."

Wow! TTTT, Password and Match Game!! Next on 60 Minutes!!!

aaron sica

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 08:31:02 PM »
I wonder if there is a parallel universe in which there is a Game Show Forum, where people are discussing who will replace Mike Wallace on "The Price is Right" when he retires or dies. :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 08:31:28 PM by aaron sica »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 08:56:12 PM »
Somewhere around that time frame 63 or so, he hosted the syndicated "Biography," the reruns of which were so popular on A&E that they....well, you know the rest.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

calliaume

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 10:44:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'123736\' date=\'Jul 9 2006, 07:56 PM\']
Somewhere around that time frame 63 or so, he hosted the syndicated "Biography," the reruns of which were so popular on A&E that they....well, you know the rest.
[/quote]
1961-1964, to be exact.  Earle & Marsh seem to think this established him as a journalist again, but I'm dubious -- he was still doing Parliament ads during that time, and I don't think he had any role on the program beyond narration; I don't think he had a hand in the writing or editing.

I think he could have done any of the three shows previously listed -- none of them, in their original incarnations, were really a challenge or completely suited only toward the original host (that would change for MG in the '70s) -- I just don't think he would have done any of them particularly well.